Feeling like I'm being critiqued

Danerada

Goatee Practitioner
So las night I was playing in church. Our drummer's daughter is the tour manager for ZZ Top and her boyfriend is one of the tour managers for the Warped and Mayhem tour as well as Rob Zombie and they were both at the service. So as I was playing I saw Ray (the boyfriend) looking at me and I kept thinking that he was critiquing my playing.

I am sure I made more of it than was there, but I couldn't help feel that way. It made for a set that lacked focus. I am sure its something I need to get over and its probably totally in my head.

Do you guys ever feel that other guitar players and music biz folks are doing that rather than enjoying the music when you are playing and they are in the audience?

I lead worship and play guitar at our church pretty much every week.( not always leading but usually always playing guitar) I have found that there are two paarts of playing. When I play at church it is not to impress anyone. I play for HIM and HIM only! When playing in a secular venue then you are there to impress the audience!

while you may feel you were being critiqued I would not worry about it. When doing worship what people think should not be a concern. You are playing for an audience of ONE. when you focus your playing that way then the gift given you will come through! I hope you can get what I am saying. I rarely ever look out at the congregation. I will usually have eyes closed or looking to others on platform or at times looking at music( so I make sure I am singing the right lyrics lol) We just need to remeber that in church it is not about pleasing the people but praising the Lord. If you feel you are pouring out your heart and ability with excellence( not perfection but excellence-- there is a difference) than don`t fret about it and just play.

Great to hear of others using their talent for glorifying our creator!

leeasam - I totally get what you are saying. My OP is not the norm. I am normally focused on my audience of One...this was just a little different.

We overthink this stuff. He was probably watching you because he knew you, and wanted to pay attention, and nothing more.

You stop thinking about it. Invariably, there's at least one guitarist in the crowd - you can tell by the slow walk-by of the stage before the set, to size up the gear, then later when they strike up a conversation at break - and they're the toughest critics. I'm not a flashy player but I am a tone ho, so when they come up and pay a tone compliment, it really means something.

You know you're rockin' it, bro. Just stay in the zone and feel confident. And if all else fails, whip out a bottle of lighter fluid and torch your guitar. Even a pro tour manager would love that! :D

(P.S. - don't torch either of those gorgeous PRSi. That's reserved for Strats. :p)

I wouldn't worry about it too much Dane!

As Boogie said, other musicians are the toughest critics and i'm sure people in the biz - even if they don't play - have an eye on judging rather then purely watching. Doesn't mean to say that's all they did. I'm sure for the most part they where listening to the music.

Don't let it het to you as it's something you can't control. When I do play out I know there's going to be other folks there judging me - particularly at jam nights with a room full of players - but I just put that out of my mind if I can and get on with it. If someone offers me constructive criticism at the end i'm cool with it. Sometimes i'll gain some valuable info. There has been the odd rood guy who couldn't resist the bitchy comment but... F' em! :)

Oh... I'll tell you something else too - and it may not be everyones experience...

The better the musician the nicer they seem to be. They seem to be more willing to offer usefull, constructive advice if you want it.

I hear what you all are saying. I appreciate the words of encouragement. What I really want(ed) to know is if you guys ever see it (or feel it) in obvious ways.

I hear what you all are saying. I appreciate the words of encouragement. What I really want(ed) to know is if you guys ever see it (or feel it) in obvious ways.

I've had this happen to me more than few times. Usually it's another local band out checking us out. I see the looking at the band making notes ( Ive had at least 2 bands write down the setlist song for song )or pointing and laughing. The pointing and laughing motivate me to push the energy and tempo and that's when a 2 to 2:30 hour set happens. Most times after about an hour and a half they stop pointing and laughing, and by the end I've won them over or chased them away.

Playing in cover bands my whole career makes it so much harder because people already know what the song is supposed to sound like.
And twice in that same career I've been critiqued by the original artist first time was in 2004 when a couple members of Firehouse walked up to me after a set where we played love of a lifetime the guys said we sounded good and Bill Leverty the guitar player showed me a couple tricks to play the song easier.

The scariest critique was in 2010 when my drummer put Gene Simmons of KISS on the phone with me while they were at a charity event.
( My Drummer at that time was a co owner of a lobbying firm his partner is an Alum of Pacific University where Tommy Thayer graduated and they are on the Alumni Council together and have been great friends for years) long story short Tommy saw the YouTube video and showed it to Gene who busted my drummers balls about it and the he had Tim call me and he proceeded to give me grief about O was scared shitless but then Gene told me he wouldn't sue me because we did a pretty good job of the song and to keep Rocking because we sounded good.

I learned then that just go a play for yourself because we are our own worst critics nobody is harder than us. I know every spot I clam but nobody else seems to notice in the overall scheme of things

Do you guys ever feel that other guitar players and music biz folks are doing that rather than enjoying the music when you are playing and they are in the audience?

As a musician, I am losing the ability of listening to just the music without over analyzing it. I think any competent person in their field would immediately get into that mode after being exposed to a little bit of what they do from an external source.

They could have been thinking about myriad of things besides you. Don't let it get to your head.

That is one of the benefits of playing secular music. Most times you can't see the audience! I played worship for years and, with the exception of huge stadium crowds, it was always well lit and you could see everybody! I never paid too much attention to it, though...

Back