favorite guitar solo?

While Deep Purple was the first neoclassical fusion band, Blizzard of Oz was the album that kicked the neoclassical fusion movement into high gear. If I had pick a set of solos in an Ozzy Ozborne tune, it would have to be the solos in "Mr. Crowely."

With that said, Skunk (a.k.a. Jeff Baxter) did a great job with the single note work on "My Old School." The song is a syncopation masterpiece. Steely Dan is the only group that I listened to as a teenager that still leaves me in awe today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any Sco fans in the house? Saw him over here in CT last week - unbelievable every time. Such feel

It's no secret that I'm a Megadeth freak. My all-time favorite song, with my all-time favorite solo, has to be "Lucretia". Marty's solo not only boggles my mind, but it stirs some serious emotion as well. Solo runs from 2:08 to 2:43.

Another guy I've always loved is Blues Saraceno...one of those "too young to be that good" types from the 90's. His song "Elvis Talking" ranks as one of my favorites. Suuuuuch a great groove...

Last one...has to be Richie Kotzen. Okay, giant soft spot because he's a Pennsylvania boy. The guy is an unreal guitar player/songwriter/vocalist. So friggin' good. Granted, this is a song he wrote while with Poison; but honestly, I credit his influence as the primary driver behind the best album Poison ever made (IMHO).

John Lennon and George Harrison of " The Beatles" playing 2 strats in unison lead on " Nowhere Man"
Great guitar solo!

For anybody who has never heard Neil Zaza check this out. Melodic shreding!

Over 25+ years ago, I was in Anchorage at a business convention. I was alone, and my first night ever there I was looking for something to do, and I discovered a music store called Mammoth Music within walking distance of my hotel. While at the store, I asked if there were any local bars with live music close by. The salesman told me that they were having a live demo by a very talented young player, Neil Zaza. I went and was one of about 20 in the small room.

Someone asked about the guitar that he was playing, and he replied that it was a Music Man Van Halen. He then said that he'd been searching for a stop tail version, but he'd had no luck. I raised my hand and told him that I knew where one was for sale. He asked if I could meet him after the demo. That started a friendship that lasted all these years. I don't see him often, but we've gotten together a few times over that period, and I always seem to bump into him at NAMM.

He's one heck of a nice guy, and one hell of a player, as you can tell from this video.

Back