favorite guitar solo?

vchizzle

Zomb!e Nine, DFZ
I'm not a huge guitar solo guitar. I don't want to listen to a bunch of wankery just for the sake of wanking. I do appreciate a well constructed solo that "says something" or an instrumental song that tells a story so to speak. What are your favorite solos?
solo at 3:00

pretty much the whole song, the beginning gets stuck in my head a lot:

Last edited by a moderator:
Check out the keyboard and guitar solos on "Slightly Out Of Reach" by James LaBrie on the Elements of Persuasion album. The keyboard solo was written by the guitarist. Those solos are to me what a guitar solo should be.

I believe in direct line with your request is one of the most under rated soloist. Not one who shows off his technique with a million notes per measure, but a man who creates some of the most musical solos from the most absolutely raw, and rude, controlled noise that can come from an electric gtr. That great musician is Alex Lifeson from RUSH. Give the solo track on Kid Gloves another listen.

I believe in direct line with your request is one of the most under rated soloist. Not one who shows off his technique with a million notes per measure, but a man who creates some of the most musical solos from the most absolutely raw, and rude, controlled noise that can come from an electric gtr. That great musician is Alex Lifeson from RUSH. Give the solo track on Kid Gloves another listen.
Yes, Alex is great.

For something mellow and soulful:

For something that rips:

Mom said, "If you want to be a good guitarist...you'd better learn some Hendrix."

A little burnt on the song...but love the solo:

Check out the keyboard and guitar solos on "Slightly Out Of Reach" by James LaBrie on the Elements of Persuasion album. The keyboard solo was written by the guitarist. Those solos are to me what a guitar solo should be.

Matt Guillory and Marco Sfogli are absolutely amazing on that song. Both the keyboard and guitar solo are really well constructed. I like Marco's solo guitar stuff as well.

It's hard to choose my favorite. But Marty Friedmans solo on Lucretia from Megadeth holds a special place in my heart. Tornado of souls is the popular solo and I always really liked the solo from symphony of destruction.

While technically not a "solo" but the live version of whitewash by buckethead is quite the performance.

Last edited:
The whole of "Cliffs of Dover" and both solos on "Desert Rose" by Eric Johnson. Such great use of melody.

I also love Joe Bonamassa's solos on "Since You're Gone" by Bloodline.

Jimmy Herring with Derek Trucks Band on "Kickin' Back" and "Pleasant Gardens". Plenty more insanely great solos by Jimmy, but these both blew my mind the first time I heard them.

Any Brad Paisley solo. That guy's phrasing is just sick.

It's odd, the first solo that popped into my head when I saw this thread was "Something," from the Beatles' Abbey Road album.

I guess I love the way Harrison worked with melody, and the tone is haunting.

I was at this gig....he just kept playing and playing...D string breaks 3/4 way in and the strat is out of tune but he still bangs out a solo!

Thanks for all the replies. Lots of vids to check out when I get home. Gilmour is a guy that seems to put everything in the right place. I saw end of live at gdansk recently and was really moved by it. Keep em comin.

Yet another great topic. I love this forum!

For favorite solos, I'd be doing well to keep my list under twenty, or even fifty. But here are the first three that came to my mind:

This first one is just so beautiful, so perfect, so vocal, to me. Hasn't everybody who has ever been in a serious relationship felt this way at one time or another?

This one, same thing. So expressive. The hope, power, optimism of a young man starting out in life, and then into the sense of loss, disbelief, and wistfulness as he looks back and wonders where it all went.

This last song may seem an obvious choice, and one that's been done to death. But every time I listen to this, I try to go back to the first time I ever heard it. IMO, it was a masterpiece then, and it still is. To me, it's probably the most well-crafted song (and solo) ever.

All of these feelings and emotions expressed with notes and tones... God, I love music.

Lloyd/Goldtop/Queen of Clubs

Back