favorite guitar solo?

My all time favorite - Curtis Mathewson's brilliant solo in "Ghost Beside My Bed", back when he was in Altered State. Solo runs from 3:00 - 4:25, kind of reminds me of David Gilmore meets Allan Holdsworth. Recorded on a Custom 24, by the way. :D

It's very 80's but in all the right ways IMHO.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't say this is my favorite, but Pat Martino wears it out pretty good in this solo:
The solo starts around 2:12 & starts getting interesting around 2:55

Probably not exactly my favorite solo of all time (because how can anybody have one favorite) but I always perk up when I hear Jay Graydon's solo on Peg by Steely Dan.

These are kinda short and mellow, but really happen to be my favourite guitar solos

Tosin Abassi, Animals as Leaders, 2:03 - 2:13 (8 string, I believe)

Mikael Akerfeldt, Opeth, 3:08 - 3:42

I always loved the second solo in Thin Lizzy's Cowboy Song. Starts around the 4:20 mark.

Also the ending solo on Dire Strait's Sultans of Swing is another personal favorite.

Satriani Always with me,always with you.

I always loved the second solo in Thin Lizzy's Cowboy Song. Starts around the 4:20 mark.

Also the ending solo on Dire Strait's Sultans of Swing is another personal favorite.
I love all of the lead lines in sultans, just some sexy, tasty playing.

The whole thing. Even being Jimi inspired, just great feel and performance.

Knopfler's done some great solos...

Always thought the outro solo on Tunnel Of Love was close to perfection...

WOW!!! The solos listed above are certainly my favorites.. I Thought Ry Cooder or whoever did that Paganini riff on Crossroads would make it.. One I remember as a teen (many people might think it was a bit adolescent) was the solo Ace Frehley did on "Strange Ways".. It has a sadistic and raw cutting sound.

Just my .02cents.

Back