EVERYONE IS DRINKING THE REVERB KOOLAID

brentrocks

What is it with people being so scared of Reverb?

I mean, come on! Are they afraid that the Reverb police are gonna come into the house in the middle of the night and slit their throats?

It seems like every time I send someone a message, and say, hey man, I’ll do a cash deal, private deal, you don’t have to pay Reverb fees I don’t have to pay sales tax. It’s a win-win!

Everybody always messages back, oh, no, we can’t do that! I might get in trouble with Reverb!

F*** Reverb! F*** Reverb‘s high fees!

I mean, come on! Are they afraid that the Reverb police are gonna come into the house in the middle of the night and slit their throats?

It seems like every time I send someone a message, and say, hey man, I’ll do a cash deal, private deal, you don’t have to pay Reverb fees I don’t have to pay sales tax. It’s a win-win!

Everybody always messages back, oh, no, we can’t do that! I might get in trouble with Reverb!

If I'm advertising on Reverb, I've accepted that I'm paying for their service, and it would be dishonest to then bypass their system - they get me in front of far more buyers than Craigslist or other free services. It's worth the fees. I'm not a thief.

From what I've seen (and as far as I'm concerned), it's mainly the scalpers and those drinking said Kool-Aid before they name their price. They can get bent.

Case in point:

"No lowballers, I know what I've got."
323432071_2087539048098468_3659522692802084386_n.jpg

If I'm advertising on Reverb, I've accepted that I'm paying for their service, and it would be dishonest to then bypass their system - they get me in front of far more buyers than Craigslist or other free services. It's worth the fees. I'm not a thief.
Bingo. There are free alternatives. When I’ve sold through Reverb or Sweetwater, I get in front of a lot more eyes than CL or FB. I use them all, and have fee-free options if I choose to.

I don’t trust people who’ll engage in fraud. I don’t think they’d think twice about ripping me off.

I have actually had pretty good luck "moving" off reverb. My last 2 PRS purchase (with number 3 arriving today!) starting on Reverb and ending elsewhere. I am transparent with the Sellers, telling them the total price (including fees, taxes, etc.) I am wiling to pay and outlining the methods by which I am willing to complete the transaction. They can then compare the various fee structures to see what works best for them. When dealing with brick and mortar stores selling on Reverb, it is a very easy decision to simply follow-up with the store directly.

If you are sending the messages through the reverb system, they can see them. If they suspect that a seller is using their platform to advertise and then taking the sales off of the platform to avoid paying their fees, they will get booted from the platform for breaking the rules that are in place.

I purchased an amp from a dealer on Reverb once. He canceled the sale and sent me a note to reach out to him and gave me his contact information. That was all. When I contacted him he said if I bought the amp through their website he would knock $100 off of it. He said if I was not comfortable with that we could do the sale through Reverb. He runs a legit business so I bought it from their site. This was really the only time that has happened to me and he was very careful about the wording he put in the email.

If you are sending the messages through the reverb system, they can see them. If they suspect that a seller is using their platform to advertise and then taking the sales off of the platform to avoid paying their fees, they will get booted from the platform for breaking the rules that are in place.

I purchased an amp from a dealer on Reverb once. He canceled the sale and sent me a note to reach out to him and gave me his contact information. That was all. When I contacted him he said if I bought the amp through their website he would knock $100 off of it. He said if I was not comfortable with that we could do the sale through Reverb. He runs a legit business so I bought it from their site. This was really the only time that has happened to me and he was very careful about the wording he put in the email.
Reverb definitely monitors your conversations - which for me, was a good thing. I bought a reasonably expensive pedal from a guy and had major headaches before Reverb got involved. The guy waited to ship it, he then shipped it in a thin cardboard box with the pedal in a PLASTIC GROCERY STORE BAG. Needless to say, the pedal showed up totally messed up and damaged. When I asked for a refund, he balked and told me to get the pedal repaired since I "got a good deal". Reverb looked at the transaction and his inappropriate conversations and handled things immediately. Sure, Reverb has fees but they also offer protections as well. I'm no Reverb fanboy but I've had good experiences with buying and selling on the platform.

If it is an actual brick & mortar guitar store, yes... more than once I have simply looked up their contact information on the open Internet and called them directly in order to get a deal and bypass Reverb.

But, I would NOT send the seller a message proposing that idea through the Reverb messaging function of their web site. Reverb administrative staff could absolutely monitor "private messages" to see if any of that is going on and yes, (in theory) the seller could get "in trouble" for making a side deal for the advertised item.

If is just a private seller that you want to make an offline deal with, you might ask them if they are advertising that same guitar on any other forums. If they say Yes... (ie Facebook Marketplace) then you can contact them there and bypass Reverb that way.

The scammers are getting more clever every day. I thought I was pretty good at spotting them but I had one that fooled me just a couple months ago.

I had been letting my guard down a bit and I got scammed out of 175.00. Nothing I can do about it except lick my wounds.

Buyer protect is worth something for sure.

Reverb definitely monitors your conversations - which for me, was a good thing. I bought a reasonably expensive pedal from a guy and had major headaches before Reverb got involved. The guy waited to ship it, he then shipped it in a thin cardboard box with the pedal in a PLASTIC GROCERY STORE BAG. Needless to say, the pedal showed up totally messed up and damaged. When I asked for a refund, he balked and told me to get the pedal repaired since I "got a good deal". Reverb looked at the transaction and his inappropriate conversations and handled things immediately. Sure, Reverb has fees but they also offer protections as well. I'm no Reverb fanboy but I've had good experiences with buying and selling on the platform.
I have only had a couple of issues on Reverb in all of the purchases I have made there and the first place Reverb looked when I reported it was the messages in their system. Both were resolved with their involvement based on what was in the messages. They actually told me to make sure the seller didn't try to communicate with me outside of their system so everything stayed on the record. That is how I know they look at them and use them to make decisions on difficult situations.

Tax. Sales tax the buyer has to pay and income tax the seller has to pay.

Back