Do you wish there were more stoptail options?

Do you wish there were more stoptail options?

• Yes I wish there were proper stoptails available (SE/Custom 22/24)

Votes: 32 80.0%
  • No I prefer a trem

Votes: 4 10.0%
  • Maybe - I can just block the trem

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
D1A091D8-0706-4583-AB52-78F0A64FCC30_zpsgbvcgzv6.jpeg

I completely agree. I love a 24 fret stoptail!

Stop bar as in the current wrap style, or adjustable wrap style? Or as in LP TOM bridge and stop bar?

I wish there were more options with the traditional PRS wraparound. Not really interested in the adjustable one they've started using lately.

I love PRS! But...I greatly prefer a stoptail on my guitars (currently have a Singlecut SE). I know you can block a trem but man I wish I had the opportunity to buy a Custom 22 or especially a 24 with a stoptail. Thoughts?

PRS used to offer both on the CU22, and occasionally on the CU24.

I probably had 5-6 of the stoptail CU22s over the years. I’d guess they didn’t sell as well as the trems, so PRS stopped making them.

If you want a CU22 type of guitar with a stoptail, just buy a McCarty. The only difference is a slightly thicker body.

I’m fine with what they have. I have a bunch and will gladly take a good guitar with a trem, even if I don’t use it much.

For reasons unknown, I use the trem on 3 PRS, but not on the others that have one.

PRS used to offer both on the CU22, and occasionally on the CU24.

I probably had 5-6 of the stoptail CU22s over the years. I’d guess they didn’t sell as well as the trems, so PRS stopped making them.

If you want a CU22 type of guitar with a stoptail, just buy a McCarty. The only difference is a slightly thicker body.

Mccarty is a killer guitar but comes with vintage voiced pups. I loved the older custom 22 with Dragons and a stoptail.

Off the four PRS guitars I own, 2 have a fixed Bridge and 2 have Trems. I have my 594 and HBii for a fixed Bridge and my 509 and Cu24 have a Trem. If I don't want or need to use the Trem, I don't bother putting in the arm. It doesn't really bother me either. If I wanted a Cu22 type with a fixed bridge, I would look at all the options PRS offers - the McCarty models & the Pauls guitar or just not use the trem - same as the 24 fret model too.

The way I look at it is - its better to have and not need a trem bridge than to need and not have. Its not easy to change a guitar from a fixed bridge to a trem compared to fixing the bridge on a trem guitar. Its better to have and live with a PRS trem and not need it than having a 'Floyd' bridge and not need it too. Therefore I am 'other' because I don't really have an opinion either way - it certainly doesn't affect my decision to buy...

Mccarty is a killer guitar but comes with vintage voiced pups. I loved the older custom 22 with Dragons and a stoptail.

Just the opposite - I switched from CU22s to McCartys because they sounded more vintage!

Everypne’s got their own tastes & needs - probably why folks shouldn’t rely only on internet advice, and should just go play a bunch of guitars and see what suits them. We all play different styles, on top of everything else. Without hearing someone’s background and style of play, it’s tough to know whether the advice applies to you or not.

I wasn’t into the Dragon Is and IIs, or the T&Bs back in the day, and always wanted to swap them out. Mostly, I lived with them, though. The 5x/0x and their progeny made me a very happy camper, and my pickup issues were cured!

My Cu22 with the one piece is one of my favs. I've no problem with what they offer, currently. But, I do love a stop tail.

McCarty. Problem solved.

For me, there's a large argument for why a McCarty is not a great answer to the wanting a 24 fret guitar with a stoptail.

1) There's something about how a custom/standard 24 "sits" when you're playing it compared to the 22. It almost feels like you have easier access to the whole fretboard.
2) IMO, you get better sonic quality with a hardtail/stoptail (especially for de-tuned stuff)
3) Palm muting is more comfortable (very subjective take) on a stoptail than a trem.
4) I just like it :). to each their own I suppose.

I am just fed up with blocking trems. It would be nice to have a hardtail option.
The trem on my CE24 is the only one that I actually use. Everything else is blocked off.

I expect to mod cheap guitars, but higher end stuff? You should be able to get what you want.

I prefer fixed bridges, be it a wraparound stoptail bridge or a two piece. My favorite guitar so far is the McCarty, even more so than a 594, which I'm liking it more and more the more I play and bond with it. I don't know why, I just feel like I play better and therefore sound better on the McCarty, though I like the tone of the 594 marginally better. I also have a CU22 with fixed bridge and Pattern Thin neck. I like the Pattern neck and tone on the McCarty better, but I much prefer the lighter weight on the CU22. I know that the thicker body on the McCarty, which contributes to its weight, also contributes to the tone I like so much. There are some used CU24 and CU22 with fixed bridge going for new S2 price range.

PRS used to offer both on the CU22, and occasionally on the CU24....

I would like the option when buying, although I suppose that you could have a choice with a PS, maybe?

One of the reasons that I like the SE Standard 22 was because it was a 22 fret with stoptail, and for a very low price. The SE Customs all have trem.

Back