Do you think PRS will develop a short scale bass?

CroceFan4life

I keep hoping to see something besides the long scale Krestel and Kingfisher basses. I think they are solid bodies?

I'd really like to see PRS offer a semi-hollow short scale bass. Perhaps like the Hofner 500/2 Club Bass from the 60's? (Not the Hofner violin bass Macca played). I prefer semi-hollow basses. They are so much lighter. I'm sure Paul could design a very nice bass along those lines.

If PRS develops a short scale bass, I hope its in the S2 price point.

Last edited:
Won't likely happen. Short-scale semi-hollow basses constitute a very small fraction of the bass world which Fender, Yamaha and boutique basses are dominating.

Skip the short scale and the frets, add a 5th string, make it balance so I don't have to hold up the neck, and I'm in.

Doubtful. It's such a small niche.

They could make something super cool, though. A 30" scale Singlecut Hollowbody Bass would be pretty badass.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;181907 said:
Skip the short scale and the frets, add a 5th string, make it balance so I don't have to hold up the neck, and I'm in.

Like a Spector NSJH5 FL with nothing on the fingerboard!??!

Short answer: no
Long answer:
headshake1.gif

Doubtful. It's such a small niche.

They could make something super cool, though. A 30" scale Singlecut Hollowbody Bass would be pretty badass.
I'd go for that. Or even a solid body short scale bass.

I've been holding off buying a bass. I didn't want to buy one if PRS was expanding their line of basses. I'll go ahead and choose a bass in the next few weeks. I have back issues and weight is a concern. I can't hang a 9 lb solid body around my neck and play for an hour. Something lighter like the semi-hollow Hofner will work for me. I want to get started taking bass lessons. I've played guitar much of my life and bass will be new to me.

Last edited:
The NAMM show (where music manufacturers usually announce new products) is at the end of this month, so you may want to wait until then to decide.

Can't find pics/link right now, but I've seen Ron Blair (TP & Heartbreakers) playing a hollowbody PRS bass that WAS short scale. If I can find the image/link - I'll update...

Can't find pics/link right now, but I've seen Ron Blair (TP & Heartbreakers) playing a hollowbody PRS bass that WAS short scale. If I can find the image/link - I'll update...
The original question was about a short scale hollow bass, mass produced at an S2 price point. Negative, Ghostrider, the pattern is full.

You're talking about artist relations, which is another ballpark entirely.

Back