Votes: 19 30.6%
  • basement rockstar

Votes: 21 33.9%
  • couch noodler

Votes: 15 24.2%
  • I don't play, I only look at them

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Weekend warrior here. We aim to gig once a month and rehearse approx. twice a month. We all have serious day jobs so it's very much a hobby.

We love it :)

I play in the Navy Reserve band down here. It's pretty good, we've got some great players and an awesome front man. We rehearse once a week (and get paid to do it) and gig once or twice a month. It's all covers, we mainly do classic rock/funk/disco/alt/whatever is popular, as well as jazz gigs (which I don't do) and ceremonial stuff (side drum). It's fun, it keeps my Navy connection going and my chops (or lack thereof) up. Plus my partner and I had an agreement, whatever I earnt from the band I got to spend on gear. That all changed when we learnt we were pregnant...

Last edited:
Just a weekend warrior, here. The classic rock gig is taking all of my playing time but also am in a great vintage rock group (50's/60's...I'm the only one not on social security and retired). Haven't taught guitar lessons in many years and gave my saxes to my son. So while there is a bit of money involved, it is far from a 'pro' gig and certainly not paying the bills. Barely pays for a new amp. ;)

Basement rock star...with one live appearance at my son's wedding in 2010, and a future live date scheduled for 11/30/13 at my daughter's wedding. Since we are primarily responsible for this one, I hope to get in a few more tunes that at my last performance. Hell...we're making the wedding...I think I'll play the entire night so I won't have to worry about getting up and dancing.

Practicing my set list already!

I haven't won anything in my life, but if you guys want to have a "least gifted guitar player on the forum" contest, that would be cool.

I haven't won anything in my life, but if you guys want to have a "least gifted guitar player on the forum" contest, that would be cool.

I tried that back in the BaM days, and it went down like the proverbial Led Zeppelin.

However, the best thing about my concept was that Jon (FlyingVee) said that the contest could be a "Harrison Bergeron" type of contest, and the best players could be handicapped to level the playing field. Thought that was kinda cool...amateurs with PRS vs. Pros. playing with "Hello Kitty" strats.

]-[ @ n $ 0 |v| a T ! ©;34097 said:
I'd like to get back to playing out on weekends. I just lack the tolerance I used to. Bands are a lot of work.

It's the opposite for me. Monday nights are band practice night, and it's our version of poker night. Lots of fun with guys who grew up together. We never gig more than twice per month, and we'll only take paid gigs at local clubs within a 20 mile radius that have enough of a built-in crowd that we're not under pressure to draw more than 15 or 20 of our own. We usually don't learn more than 2 new songs per month, but our song list is a FIFO (First In FIrst Out) so we don't have to keep current with a 200 song set list.... we hold it steady at around 70, so there isn't a bunch of pressure there. We're just a 4-piece, so managing everybody's schedule isn't that bad. The comraderie is what it's all about from my perspective. The only part that seems like "work" is loading back up at the end of a gig (sometimes as late as 2AM). There are usually pancakes involved afterwards though, and that fixes most anything...

That's not true - you've won our hearts, BroJay Simpson :cheers:

It's the opposite for me. Monday nights are band practice night, and it's our version of poker night. Lots of fun with guys who grew up together. We never gig more than twice per month, and we'll only take paid gigs at local clubs within a 20 mile radius that have enough of a built-in crowd that we're not under pressure to draw more than 15 or 20 of our own. We usually don't learn more than 2 new songs per month, but our song list is a FIFO (First In FIrst Out) so we don't have to keep current with a 200 song set list.... we hold it steady at around 70, so there isn't a bunch of pressure there. We're just a 4-piece, so managing everybody's schedule isn't that bad. The comraderie is what it's all about from my perspective. The only part that seems like "work" is loading back up at the end of a gig (sometimes as late as 2AM). There are usually pancakes involved afterwards though, and that fixes most anything...

I like this... Especially the pancakes!

That's not true - you've won our hearts, BroJay Simpson :cheers:

xEphs.gif

I think I could give you a run for your money there. I might have to break down and take a lesson someday, but I'm not even sure I like music much anymore, which is strange because I still love guitars. :laugh:

I'll fight you for that title, James. :box:

Just yesterday I produced a clean note....

No way! Teach me!

One of my bands, playing irish/scottish tunes with hard rock arrangements, managed to get kind of semi-pro (occasional event gigs along with well visited "normal gigs"... that means we make enough money to produce records).
The other band is more of a dedication than hobby, I started it when I was 16 and it lives and changes with me (and other people joining and leaving the band over years). Right now it's in larval stage (again), working on brand new material. I'm sick of playing the stuff I wrote when I was 16 ;)

I guess it makes me a weekend warrior.

All my income comes from teaching guitar, so I guess that makes me a professional.......

I've got an acoustic duo that I'll be starting performing with round the local pubs in the new year. It will be good to get out doing regular performing again. Been a few years.

I'll fight you for that title, James. :box:

Just yesterday I produced a clean note....

No way! Teach me!

Well... :bawling: It turns out that the note I produced was an accident from my pick falling on my guitar while I was in no way touching the strings.

I'm considering doing an album called "Gravity Sucks" using only this technique...

Back