Do you hoard, erm collect gear?

I'm a flipper. I have a core set of players and an inventory of ready-to-sell and in-process-maybe-needs-some-repair gear.

10 electrics
5 acoustics (though three are to be donated to people who can't afford them)
1 bass
1 keyboard
4 tube amps
2 solid state practice sized amps
1 bass amp
no more than like 15 pedals or so

not "too" bad :D

Are you a gear hoarder or a one in one out kind of person? Do you sell off gear that’s been sitting unused for a few months?

Personally I’m def a gear hoarder...
15 electric guitars
4 acoustic guitars
5 valve amps
A lot of pedals, od, distortion, modulation, delay etc.

My biggest gear addiction is fuzz pedals....I must have around 60-70 fuzz pedals alone...totally crazy I know but I now tell myself I’m a collector lol.
I don’t do vintage units as I would never know if the circuit had been tampered with, I buy from the guys who build the best replicas around.

Any other fuzz heads around here?

Hoarder? No. Collector? I try to adhere to the one-in-one-out rule, simply because if something sells, it leaves me less likely towards buying something more expensive. I usually trade down and not up regards gear, if only for more cost-effectiveness that does the job better, with similar audio quality that costs less.

In this world, businesses are always upgrading their products and making you pay more for outwardly and minimally desirable upgrades. One significant complaint (the noise we know as unpleasant customer feedback) we hear from customers is just to charge lower prices, not waste paper on coupons that print on your receipt. It irks the environmentalists when we continually print 2 or 3 foot long receipts. Anybody vaguely versed in psychology can tell you customers wish to just not pay more, they would prefer better products at lower prices without the printed paper incentives.

Perhaps my sensitive side understands the reason for this, and imitates it. When buying consumer goods, I usually do my online research, find out what's trending, most cost-effective, receives the best reviews, then do my shopping. If something does the job better for less, I usually sell an item in order to make way for the incoming piece. Seldom do I shop without conscience towards a budget.

Having worked in retail for many years, any decent employee who's done the same knows that half the problem is convincing you one product is better than another. Don't tell me, oh look, I got a $1 coupon. I need not bloviate regards this fact. Too often, the world is set out to defeat the competition by sheer aggressiveness, and massive browbeating you over the head with what they're selling. (Not buying that product, its defective, receives bad reports and reviews, doesn't work as it's supposed to)

I'd just prefer a decent product that doesn't cause you any greater anxiety, making funny noises when it's not supposed to. (When the car makes a funny noise, what do you do? You fix the car, not turn up the car radio, folks).

This is true in all walks of life. If men were put on this earth to be collectors, we would each been given the gift of knowing how to build larger storage houses for our stuff.

How much stuff do I have in storage? Let's see, some entry level audio gear, one amp, a modest-sized effects board, and 3 guitars. That's it. And a bunch of other stuff that helps me with my apartment responsibilities.

And an apartment and a car. No animals in this apartment. And some windows to see out of, and curtains that close when the day is over. Enjoy your evening.

Last edited:
I only hoard the gear that is worth hoarding. I started off with Squire and Epiphone and have gradually traded up. The lower quality stuff has been predominantly been sold off to free up space, but also to help offset the cost of the newer stuff. Now that I'm up to a decent level of quality I can't see myself selling them off

Uh...YES. Many guitars...all in (all PRS), +/-8 basses (PRS & Spector), and couple Dr Z amps. Too many pedals to list, but they are organized neatly on numerous sizes/shapes of Pedaltrain boards.
Definitely cyclical here...as Malcolm stated in Jurassic Park, "I'm never against meeting the next "Ex-Mrs Malcolm"...just take the wife thing out and insert Guitar.
I've traded more than I care to count, but very happy with the current stable...for now...I have the same internal feud discussed elsewhere in this Forum,
the one about 5 really nice guitars vs. a Private Stock. One day, maybe a PS, but the individual guitar's small differences warrant the growing collection.(at least in my mixed-up mind)

I've always been a little fuzzy in the head. Nothing to do with pedals but it's quite distorted :)

I have other interests I'm equally vested in and limited space so my hobbies kind of keep each other in check. Just yesterday I was kind of taking inventory and realized I've accumulated quite a bit of baggage. The rule in my younger days was to not have anything I couldn't walk away from on a moment's notice, because that's what I often had to do.

For anything to remain in my stable it has to have a working symbolic significance. My guitars and to a lesser extent my gear make a statement about who I am, my tastes, and what I value. If it's not representin' out it goes. I think everyone kinda looks for that, but for me it's the primary goal. If it doesn't fit me and what I'm doing I have no interest in or use for it.

I thought I could cover that ground with a nice acoustic and maybe I should have stopped there. Somehow that bloomed into 2 acoustics, two electrics, a small tube amp and a pedalboard... all as high quality as I could get without being frivolous. I'm at the point of maximum satisfaction for me, any more and I feel like I'd be slapping fortune in the face.

I don't think I'm much of a hoarder but I am surrounded by stuff that constantly reminds me who I really am beneath the facade I'm forced to put on for society. I absolutely love people, but I hate society for that reason... it's not who we really are.

Underneath the facade we are the most wonderful people you can possibly imagine. I hate being disconnected from that by personas that conceal our true nature. Instead of a lens that magnifies our humanity the persona has become a mask that obscures it.

I think all the "stuff" we acquire is a poor substitute for the love we've lost. It's like a pacifier, the baby wants its mother but can be temporarily pacified with a rubber nipple. Society can't give us the love we seek because it doesn't have it to give. Only we do and society isn't us, it's a facsimile. The only thing it can give is a substitute for love :)

Last edited:
Back