Do you hoard, erm collect gear?

You bet, bro! Thanks!

And, not sure if you are Univ of Cincy fan.....sorry my Hawkeyes took it to ya today, if you are.
Yes, a big one. :mad:

Watching Buckeyes now. Looks likely both my teams will be out after round one.... AGAIN! :rolleyes:

If you waited that long, it is too late.

Apologies for the political commentary. I’ll stop now.

Well, yeah. I was referring to knowing when going home at the end of the day saying, "Another day, another dollar," meant something besides singing a tune you remembered on the way home yesterday and needed to belt it out at the stoplight while Officer Friendly pulls up next to you. (I still earned that dollar, thenkuverymuch)

...We are fools in this state and the smartest thing we can do is recognize that. The reason is most people are operating under a grossly false notion of what's going on here. What I'm about to say is going to sound like the stupidest thing you've ever heard but it's 100% true... what you've been led to believe is life isn't.

This isn't life, it's what's known as a "death culture". Literally it means a bunch of corpses pretending to be alive for the purpose of promoting the fear of death. You're a corpse because you're in corpuscular or cellular form. The fear of death is the only thing getting us thru hell or the individualization process otherwise known as death and decomposition. If we weren't more afraid of dying than going thru hell we wouldn't stand a chance in hell. It absolutely sucks to go thru if you do it right, but it demonstrates the beauty of human ingenuity at its finest. We're actually using the fear of death to get thru death.

To the notion of "death culture", we are all human flesh with the breathe of life in us. Take away the breathe of life, and we cease to exist as living beings. The sci-fi belief that zombies exist is pure BS. Zombies are nothing but the product of some sci-fi writer's imagination pushed on us as a blatant lie in order to promote movie or TV show endorsements.

...We've been led to believe that death is the cessation of all consciousness, but that's just to make it even more scary. There is only one way to verify that and the fear of death prevents us from doing so. It's freekin clever when you think about it. Here's the thing tho, if you've got the balls to go there you learn the truth and there is no way to unknow what you discover. Once you've actually seen Life the cat's out of the bag and the fear of death has no power over you. When you finally figure out that everything you fear happening to you has already happened or never will you finally start to relax and that release of tension is what springs you to life.

You are correct. Death causes respiratory and brain function to cease. Given enough time in that state, the body itself begins to decay because bodily functions no longer support life. The illustration I like is comparable to a candle with a lit wick. When you blow out the candle, where does the flame go? It ceases to be. This is the reason why when someone dies, another might refer to the deceased as having his life 'snuffed out.'

When you actually see it for what it is it's hilarious and that's part of the healing process. Like the question "what happens after we die?" as if we don't freekin know. We're in a death culture, we know, we're "living" it everyday. What we don't know is Life.

If you don't think people are wonderful it's because you haven't met the real us yet. You've only ever known the masks we had to wear to get you thru the gauntlet of death. What's going on here is a proven heritage as old as time itself. We haven't lost one yet and you won't be the first. That my friend... is who we really are :)

Am listening to a Vince Guaraldi tune just now; will read the entire post in a second...

While your post is very fascinating and mind-boggling, it sounds very much like a stream-of-consciousness dissertation you've had after a few mind-altering puffs on a joint.

However, your concluding paragraph speaks a lot about reality. We've all likely had to "go through" certain phases in life we didn't think we could accomplish, though the fact is, it takes a lot of faith to endure what we "go through."

That being said, I lost one of my friends to cancer earlier this morning. She had been going through stage 4 lymphoma for quite a while, and yesterday was her last day. We will celebrate her life with a memorial talk, and grieve with her surviving family.

I'm not so much concerned about myself regards what happens at death, though I do know that it is not much more than a deep sleep from which one does not awaken. And because I entrust myself to God every time I close my eyes and go to sleep, I do not fear the inevitable. My concern would be more towards the folks who might find me someday, resting peacefully in eternal sleep.

In reality, we all deal with life's problems in one manner or another each day. We wake up, go about our morning routines, either head off to work or school, or work from home. Some of us are even retired and live the best we can despite our health and daily problems.

What I was trying to say regards the news media is that the media exaggerates and sensationalizes people's problems, so much so that is sometimes becomes fodder for the water cooler at work, or perhaps discussion during our lunch break when we have a chance to enjoy some time away from our jobs. A wise man once told me that a lot of what we view is foolishness, because neither what the media reports nor other shows we view really "work" to our benefit.

Perhaps there may be some tip we can glean from a non-fictional cooking or home improvement show. Or be amazed at the natural world's beauty and God's hand in matters. Or being able to appreciate a musician's performance. The remaining part of what my TV broadcasts is fictional accounts that are either recreational or entertainment, and what passes for both have no lasting value for me.

We still have not solved the most important questions mankind has ever faced, nor will mankind ever on its own. Global peace? End to crime? World hunger? Good use of Authority? Abuses? Violence? Sickness? Death? I might ask if anyone of us has the answer regards solving any one of these questions, please put your answer in the suggestion box in the break room.

I'm happy to tell you that hope is alive and doing well in some circles, not just because it involves going through life's problems together, but it means there is hope for the future. We just need to wait for it and endure until it occurs.

Nice to meet you, BTW. If anyone needs me, I'll be reading up on what my personal studies include that keep me smiling through life, though sometimes I weep for this generation because of the foolishness we must endure. Not because it's frightening or stupid. Because it shows a profound need for people who don't have a clue in life of what reality is about.

(Try the chips and dip next time, you might enjoy these with a beverage of your choice, and please remember, young man, no hats at the table. Please also remember that it's puff, puff, pass to the left)

Last edited:
To the notion of "death culture", we are all human flesh with the breathe of life in us. Take away the breathe of life, and we cease to exist as living beings. The sci-fi belief that zombies exist is pure BS. Zombies are nothing but the product of some sci-fi writer's imagination pushed on us as a blatant lie in order to promote movie or TV show endorsements.

You are correct. Death causes respiratory and brain function to cease. Given enough time in that state, the body itself begins to decay because bodily functions no longer support life. The illustration I like is comparable to a candle with a lit wick. When you blow out the candle, where does the flame go? It ceases to be. This is the reason why when someone dies, another might refer to the deceased as having his life 'snuffed out.'

Am listening to a Vince Guaraldi tune just now; will read the entire post in a second...

While your post is very fascinating and mind-boggling, it sounds very much like a stream-of-consciousness dissertation you've had after a few mind-altering puffs on a joint.

However, your concluding paragraph speaks a lot about reality. We've all likely had to "go through" certain phases in life we didn't think we could accomplish, though the fact is, it takes a lot of faith to endure what we "go through."

That being said, I lost one of my friends to cancer earlier this morning. She had been going through stage 4 lymphoma for quite a while, and yesterday was her last day. We will celebrate her life with a memorial talk, and grieve with her surviving family.

I'm not so much concerned about myself regards what happens at death, though I do know that it is not much more than a deep sleep from which one does not awaken. And because I entrust myself to God every time I close my eyes and go to sleep, I do not fear the inevitable. My concern would be more towards the folks who might find me someday, resting peacefully in eternal sleep.

In reality, we all deal with life's problems in one manner or another each day. We wake up, go about our morning routines, either head off to work or school, or work from home. Some of us are even retired and live the best we can despite our health and daily problems.

What I was trying to say regards the news media is that the media exaggerates and sensationalizes people's problems, so much so that is sometimes becomes fodder for the water cooler at work, or perhaps discussion during our lunch break when we have a chance to enjoy some time away from our jobs. A wise man once told me that a lot of what we view is foolishness, because neither what the media reports nor other shows we view really "work" to our benefit.

Perhaps there may be some tip we can glean from a non-fictional cooking or home improvement show. Or be amazed at the natural world's beauty and God's hand in matters. Or being able to appreciate a musician's performance. The remaining part of what my TV broadcasts is fictional accounts that are either recreational or entertainment, and what passes for both have no lasting value for me.

We still have not solved the most important questions mankind has ever faced, nor will mankind ever on its own. Global peace? End to crime? World hunger? Good use of Authority? Abuses? Violence? Sickness? Death? I might ask if anyone of us has the answer regards solving any one of these questions, please put your answer in the suggestion box in the break room.

I'm happy to tell you that hope is alive and doing well in some circles, not just because it involves going through life's problems together, but it means there is hope for the future. We just need to wait for it and endure until it occurs.

Nice to meet you, BTW. If anyone needs me, I'll be reading up on what my personal studies include that keep me smiling through life, though sometimes I weep for this generation because of the foolishness we must endure. Not because it's frightening or stupid. Because it shows a profound need for people who don't have a clue in life of what reality is about.

(Try the chips and dip next time, you might enjoy these with a beverage of your choice, and please remember, young man, no hats at the table. Please also remember that it's puff, puff, pass to the left)
Sorry to hear about your friend - that is brutal. My mom And FIL have gone through bouts of cancer and both are thankfully still with us.

you two are fast becoming the rowan and martin of ‘General Discussion’, and i love it. please say a guipicky & candid record is happening, we need to hear you two trading speech-inflected solos.

Every single one of my guitars has an emotional reason for being here. On one hand, my living room is over populated, but on the other, the stories are pretty good for each one. I’m a little more whorish about my pedals, but not much.
My wife declared the dining room to be a music room before we moved into the house. I bought her a piano for it to seal the deal.

Truth be told, I didn't really "need" to do it. I was willing to sacrifice in order for her to get out of something that is making her miserable. You guys would do the same. Well, most of you :D. We would have been fine without the purge. Sure, maybe take a step back on things for a couple of years. The purge made it so we don't have to.

All of that said, I am dangerously close to having double digit guitars again! My OCD doesn't get along with odd numbers (except for 13 cuz it's my fav/lucky number), and going to 8 is just silly!
Extensive reasearch has shown that 11 is a very good number of guitars to have.

Every single one of my guitars has an emotional reason for being here. On one hand, my living room is over populated, but on the other, the stories are pretty good for each one. I’m a little more whorish about my pedals, but not much.

All mine are more practical...

(It’s not exactly historically accurate, but this is how it breaks down in my mind)

‘50s - McCarty, covered PAF sound
‘60s - Vela, weird guitars with odd pickups
‘70s - Custom 24, uncovered PAF sound
‘80s - I don’t want a guitar that sounds like the 80s
‘90s - Les Paul, JB sound
‘00s - CE 22

And I have a Telecaster I picked up for layering.

That’s every guitar I own and my reason for owning it. I’m brand loyal in that when I find something that works I tend to stick with it until it stops working or I find something that works better. I used to have a bunch of Les Pauls, an SG and an Explorer, but once I started playing PRS and realized how much better they were I quickly dumped most of my Gibson’s. No attachments, zero regrets.

I even had an SC245 for awhile... but it couldn’t out LP my best LP, so that one Gibson stuck around.

Ok

There's an old saying... something about casting pearls :)

Truth be told, I didn't really "need" to do it. I was willing to sacrifice in order for her to get out of something that is making her miserable. You guys would do the same. Well, most of you :D. We would have been fine without the purge. Sure, maybe take a step back on things for a couple of years. The purge made it so we don't have to.

My wife has put up with my music habit - guitars, gear, CDs/LPs/tapes, concerts - for years now. I'm sure at some point, as we near retirement age, she won't be as tolerant any longer.

And I'm sure I'll miss her. But we can get together for the occasional dinner.

Sorry to hear about your friend - that is brutal. My mom And FIL have gone through bouts of cancer and both are thankfully still with us.

Thanks. Not sure when the arrangements will be. Will likely know this Tuesday. Pleasant gal, a few years older than myself. Had been in remission and then it came back. Like a flower that withered under a sunny day and warm breeze, she was.

Back