Do you feel certain models should have a specific color

Alan Jurgens

Maybe it’s just me but I limit myself because of this. I’ll see a killer guitar that looks great but inside know it’s on the wrong guitar. Some models I don’t feel that way about though and whatever goes. My Paul’s guitar needed to be brown. My 24-08 I wanted blue. Next one is a 594 and I want brown. I think yellow works on a 594 great too but am not partial to that color. I’d really like a copperhead finish with tci 58/15 lt. this one is going to be a hard one for me.

Totally agree with you on the "brown Paul's guitar" thing--it was first thing in my head when I saw the title of this thread.

If I were king and the world was as I deemed it to be... Santana's would be Santana Yellow, McCarty's would be mostly medium/dark sunbursts, Standard's (meaning non-maple tops, like the old all-Mahogany ones, or my all-korina McCarty) would be medium/dark red, and CU24's would be faded whale freakin' blue.

But then... there's always that one (or more than one) that catches your eye in an unexpected way, in an unexpected color that just floors you. Happens to me a lot around here, and on PRS's instagram feed. Proof, I suppose, that there are many flavors available because there is no "wrong" flavor. [Except for Gibson's clown-burst. That s*** is wrong, and we all know it.]

.....But then... there's always that one (or more than one) that catches your eye in an unexpected way, in an unexpected color that just floors you. Happens to me a lot around here.....

Elephant grey?
On a guitar?
Sounds dull as Hell.

But then they do something like this with it.
meYrGyJ.jpg

I've got a few:

Custom -- yellow
Modern Eagle -- faded blue jean
S2 594 Thinline -- vintage cherry (can you guess what I've had my eye on...?)
Singlecuts -- sunburst of some kind

Now with all that said, none of my current stable match any of that! :p

Sort of but not really. I think certain models look “classic” in certain colors. That’s a learned thing. DGT- goldtop. But that’s part of what drew me to PRS in the first place. Non traditional colors. Classic bursts and such were very tired looking to me in the 90’s. The blues, greens and vibrant colors got my attention. Nowadays, everything looks fantastic to me in charcoal burst.

Aside from models that only come in one color (Paul's 28, Violin McCarty, Tremonti Tribal, etc.), I am one who believes there are certain models with 'representative' colors. Here are a few that come to mind:

Pre-Standards or early Standards: Anything with birds
Any Custom with a Sweet Switch: Vintage Yellow
LE: Vintage Sunburst
Modern Eagle: Faded Blue Jean
Korina McCarty: Natural
DGT: Gold Top
Westy: Cherry (unless its white)
Starla: Silver Sparkle (or gold)
Sig LTD: Trampas Green
Paul's Guitar: Copper
Silver Sky: Tungsten (its namesake)

Void of color is good, too. Mother Nature is a hot chick.

I'm with ya on this.

Perhaps a corollary to consider is that colors that blend well with the natural wood and bring out its beauty are pretty cool, too. I'm thinking of the amber shades (including dark ambers like violin burst and black gold), smokey blond, etc.

It's been said already, but goldtop DGT.

I swore I’d get one, and yet, I keep forgetting! Evidently my poor brain becomes dysfunctional when I see translucent finishes.

“It’s like what happens to your brain when you see a beautiful woman.”

“I was referring to the big brain. You’re talking about the little brain.”

Back