Do all 10 tops have a 10 on the heastock or say so in the paperwork??

Tag

Are there exceptions? What if the guitar was bought at the Prs experience??? Any difference?
What is the upcharge for a 10 top??
Thanks guys!

I believe most all regular/core guitars have the 10 on the headstock. Stamped if a rosewood neck, paint if not.
Artist packs I do not believe they have the designation, but most all those tops are equal.

There are lots of core guitars that are neither Artist nor 10 top. Like Artist grade, they do not have a "10" in the upper right corner of the back of the headstock.

Now I am a bit mixed up! I bought 2 new 594 SHs advertised as 10 tops. On one there is a 10 on the headstock. On the other, no, and not on any paperwork either. Both clearly were advertised as 10 tops. Looking to possibly sell both right away to fund PS build. Can I sell both as 10 tops?? What is the upcharge on a new 10 top?? Need info!
Thanks!

Now I am a bit mixed up! I bought 2 new 594 SHs advertised as 10 tops. On one there is a 10 on the headstock. On the other, no, and not on any paperwork either. Both clearly were advertised as 10 tops. Looking to possibly sell both right away to fund PS build. Can I sell both as 10 tops?? What is the upcharge on a new 10 top?? Need info!
Thanks!
Maybe one of them is an Artist package. Or maybe one is not a 10 top.
Check the modcat with PTC

Thanks!

Do you have the hang tag? I believe the hang tag will indicate if its a 10 top, Artist grade, or wood library top. If none of that information is present on the hang tag I would assume its a "regular top".

The only way to be 100% sure is to check with PTC. They would be able to tell you for sure what you have.

Artist Package and especially Wood Library is where things can get confusing.

You got:
  • Normal top: basic figuring, not a "10", no special marking
  • 10 top: Marked on back of headstock.
  • Artist Package: Arguably better than a 10. NOT marked on headstock.
  • Wood Library:A whole bunch of different custom finishes and inlay options get applied to those. But if it's Wood Library 10-top, it will be marked on the headstock. If it's Wood Library Artist Package level, it will not be marked.
I think the MAP price of the 10-top is $600. Don't know the upcharge for Artist Package. Upcharges for Wood Library depend on the build specs.

also some series, like the Brazilian Rosewood 513s were all 10 tops by default not saying so on the headstock...

I know my Wood Library 10 Top has the "10". However, that quilt top and Wood Library build look closer to a Private Stock top!

I have a custom 24 quilt top that's supposed to be a 10 top. Says it on the tag, written in the pickup cavity, but not stamped (rosewood neck) on the headstock.

Edit: the modcat also has it listed as a 10 top of my memory serves well.

Whats odd is the one that has 10 stamped on it does not have an "18" before the serial number. (I dont think. Guitar is not here)
The guitar I am questioning has "18", then the serial number. I figured that was just the year it was made. It sure looks like a 10 top to me. Better than some Artist packs I have had.

Are guitars bought at the experience different??

Whats odd is the one that has 10 stamped on it does not have an "18" before the serial number. (I dont think. Guitar is not here)
The guitar I am questioning has "18", then the serial number. I figured that was just the year it was made. It sure looks like a 10 top to me. Better than some Artist packs I have had.

Are guitars bought at the experience different??
The 18 is the year.
There are quite a few non 10 tops that look really good. The label is an art, not a science.

Also, Experience runs typically have very nice tops that are not labelled 10s. For example this one I picked up at 2009 Experience.
CK_142KillerQuiltBodyAAA.JPG

Back