Do all 10 tops have a 10 on the heastock or say so in the paperwork??

The 18 is the year.
There are quite a few non 10 tops that look really good. The label is an art, not a science.

Also, Experience runs typically have very nice tops that are not labelled 10s. For example this one I picked up at 2009 Experience.
CK_142KillerQuiltBodyAAA.JPG

Stunning! So you are saying experience runs do not have a 10 stamp?? That would explain this guitar, but I believe my other one was as well and has a 10 stamp. ?????

I can't believe now one has suggested to check the MODCATs. They will tell you the quality of the top.

Stunning! So you are saying experience runs do not have a 10 stamp?? That would explain this guitar, but I believe my other one was as well and has a 10 stamp. ?????
I can’t say that Experience guitars never are marked 10. I have seen many really good tops in those small runs just designated for the run, not as 10.

The 18 is the year.
There are quite a few non 10 tops that look really good. The label is an art, not a science.

Also, Experience runs typically have very nice tops that are not labelled 10s. For example this one I picked up at 2009 Experience.
CK_142KillerQuiltBodyAAA.JPG

Wow, sweet top!!! That quilt pattern is so very similar to my Wood Library "10" top 509 and Wood Library Artist 594...
I think you lucked up more than I did because I doubt you paid what I paid for mine (and I got GREAT deals on them new!).

25439007_10210775099877610_3910618251985734365_o.jpg

Some Experience models have an artist grade top. I have a 2012 Experience P22 with an artist grade top with no 10 on the back of the headstock.

Some Experience models have an artist grade top. I have a 2012 Experience P22 with an artist grade top with no 10 on the back of the headstock.

How do you know its an artist grade top then? Is it in the paper work??

How do you know its an artist grade top then? Is it in the paper work??

Either have the MODCAT or you have to have the hang tags. I think a copy of the MODCAT (besides the one on the case) is
under the bridge pickup? If it's Wood Library, you're screwed without the hang tags other than sending the Serial Number to PRS and letting them tell you what the guitar is.

Last edited:
Either have the MCAT or you have to have the hang tags. I think a copy of the MCAT (besides the one on the case) is
under the bridge pickup? If it's Wood Library, you're screwed without the hang tags other than sending the Serial Number to PRS and letting them tell you what the guitar is.
Exactly.

The MODCAT for my P22 is PXM2FAFSKAP_FL_HP-PV. Plugging it into the MODCAT decoder I get:

Model: Experience P22
Top Wood: Maple
Frets: 22
Top Spec: Figured Maple
Top Grade: Artist
Neck Wood: Figured Maple
Neck Carve: Pattern/Regular (Standard)
Fingerboard Wood: Katalox
Inlay: Artist Package Birds
Bridge: Piezo Adjustable Stoptail
Color: Faded Abalone Sunburst
Hardware: Hybrid (Nickel and Gold)
Treble Pickup: P22
Middle Pickup: none
Bass Pickup: P22
Electronics: 5-Way Bladeswitch

In this case, the hang tag doesn't tell you it has an Artist grade top.

Back