Coil Tap using Push/Pull with a 5-way

Skeeter

Hi, I was wondering about possible electronic mods to a Custom 24 with a 5-way blade (latest version). If I were to install a push/pull tone pot to split the neck pickup - would I need further upgrades, like a 5-way “mega” blade?

If needed, would it be easier (and possible) to change positions 2 or 4 to be the neck split alone?

And under either scenario, would I be able to use the McCarty-based resistor partial tap method to reduce the drop in volume? I’m not sure if those are built-in to the latest 5-way blades for positions 2 and 4? I suppose if I installed a push/pull, that the new tone pot could just be wired with the resistor (around 1.1k), right?

Thanks for any info!

Hi, I was wondering about possible electronic mods to a Custom 24 with a 5-way blade (latest version). If I were to install a push/pull tone pot to split the neck pickup - would I need further upgrades, like a 5-way “mega” blade?

If needed, would it be easier (and possible) to change positions 2 or 4 to be the neck split alone?

And under either scenario, would I be able to use the McCarty-based resistor partial tap method to reduce the drop in volume? I’m not sure if those are built-in to the latest 5-way blades for positions 2 and 4? I suppose if I installed a push/pull, that the new tone pot could just be wired with the resistor (around 1.1k), right?

Thanks for any info!
Check out the wiring diagram for your C24 here:

https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/customs_2017.pdf

Leaving the Neck PR tap on the push/pull pot will allow you to run it as a sixth tone, if you will, when in the 5-way’s neck only position. You would disconnect the white (middle) wire from the 5-way switch and wire it to the push/pull pot so it goes to ground in the up position. Then run the wire from the push/pull back to the 5-way. I believe the 594 runs the resistor off of the middle lug to ground. Look at the 594 diagram to see how the PR tap is wired on the pot switch. That would give you 6 sounds as opposed to 5 if you figured out some way to design a neck only split on position 2 or 4. I’m not even sure how you would do that, but I’m sure someone has already figured it out if it’s possible. See what you find on Seymour Duncan’s wiring diagrams, or search for options on whoever makes the mega switch’s website.

I’m in a hotel without my computer, so I can’t research this fully at the moment. But one thing that comes to mind is whether the push/pull tap in the up position would mute position 2 or 4 depending on which coil goes to ground first in the series connection (not sure which one that is).

Resistor values are chosen purely to taste, but I’ve put a 1.1k resistor on my neck taps and so far I’ve been very pleased. Look at the 594 and DGT diagrams to see which way you prefer. They both sound good.

You have a few options with the stock blade, which is similar to a limited super switch.

Here's what I did with mine. I use the blade to split the neck pickup and a push/pull to split the bridge pickup.

jV17UOr.jpg

You have a few options with the stock blade, which is similar to a limited super switch.

Here's what I did with mine. I use the blade to split the neck pickup and a push/pull to split the bridge pickup.

jV17UOr.jpg
That's a very cool 5-way setup! I've never wired a 5-way. Might have to look into that...

That's a very cool 5-way setup! I've never wired a 5-way. Might have to look into that...

I find it very handy. The 85/15 pickups sound so good tapped, it's a shame to miss those tones.

The PRS blade is straightforward, as is a regular super switch, so they're pretty easy and fun to wire.

Back