2008 Swamp Ash Special Coil-Split Wiring Help

bobbyk

Hi.

I recently acquired at 2008 SAS that is in extremely good condition. The only thing wrong was that a previous owner did a bunch of wiring mods that I have carefully researched and reversed. The one thing I have not been able to confirm however is the wiring for the coil split. On this year/model is the wiring white coil split wires directly to ground or through a 2.2K resistor to ground on the Bridge side and through a 1.1K resistor to ground on the Neck side?

If someone has a similar model SAS and could check I would really appreciate it.

Thanks

They were not using the resistors in 2008. I have a 2006 and have swapped the pickups in mine. If you want to use the resistors look on the PRS website for the DGT wiring schematic. You have the values correct but I can't remember which one goes on which pickup tap.

Hi.

I recently acquired at 2008 SAS that is in extremely good condition. The only thing wrong was that a previous owner did a bunch of wiring mods that I have carefully researched and reversed. The one thing I have not been able to confirm however is the wiring for the coil split. On this year/model is the wiring white coil split wires directly to ground or through a 2.2K resistor to ground on the Bridge side and through a 1.1K resistor to ground on the Neck side?

If someone has a similar model SAS and could check I would really appreciate it.

Thanks
Opened the back plate on my 2008 SAS. The white wires are going directly from the volume pot to the tone pot.

Hope this helps!

I just looked at the schematic. You have them correct. The 2.2k is the bridge and the 1.1k is the neck.
Yes.

2.2K leaves more signal from the "unused" coil of the bridge pickup to remain in the ausdio signal to beef it it up and give it some power and bark.

1.1K allows more signal of the "unused" coil of the neck pickup so pass to ground so you get a more Strat like tone from the remaining coil.

I use those values in my guitars.

But the 2008 SAS didn't have them, correct?
That is correct. The 2008 didn't have them. They started using the resistors around 2010. They started doing this on the DGT first. I know that the very early DGTs didn't have the resistors. Mine is a 2011 and it has them.

That is correct. The 2008 didn't have them. They started using the resistors around 2010. They started doing this on the DGT first. I know that the very early DGTs didn't have the resistors. Mine is a 2011 and it has them.
I am curious as to the impact of the resistors. Assuming they are acting as coil taps and are regulating the signal from the coils being tapped??

I should have read Lewguitars message more carefully. Looks like they tap the unused coils.

I am curious as to the impact of the resistors. Assuming they are acting as coil taps and are regulating the signal from the coils being tapped??

I should have read Lewguitars message more carefully. Looks like they tap the unused coils.

A humbucker is two coils with the output of the first connected in series to the input of the second.

To split that humbucker a switch is installed at that point where the #1 coil is connected to the #2 coil, and that switch is connected to a wire a that shunts the output of that first coil to ground and turns it off.

But if that connection to ground is made by resistor, that resistor will resist all of the signal from that #1 cgoing to ground and some will be left in the signal to add girth to the sound of the #2 coil which is left "fully on".

The bigger the resistor the more signal is prevented from going to ground and more of the coil normally turned off is left in the signal path.

2.2K is used for the bridge pickup to keep it from sounding weak and thin.

Because the neck pickup is located in a spot on the guirar where the strings vibrate more it has a fuller tone. So a 1.1K resistor is used there to split the coils and more of the signal of the #1 coil goes to ground... but it sounds "right" and more like a conventional Strat type pickup.

You can experiemtn with those values, and i have. But I found that I liked the values PRS settled on best.

A humbucker is two coils with the output of the first connected in series to the input of the second.

To split that humbucker a switch is installed at that point where the #1 coil is connected to the #2 coil, and that switch is connected to a wire a that shunts the output of that first coil to ground and turns it off.

But if that connection to ground is made by resistor, that resistor will resist all of the signal from that #1 cgoing to ground and some will be left in the signal to add girth to the sound of the #2 coil which is left "fully on".

The bigger the resistor the more signal is prevented from going to ground and more of the coil normally turned off is left in the signal path.

2.2K is used for the bridge pickup to keep it from sounding weak and thin.

Because the neck pickup is located in a spot on the guirar where the strings vibrate more it has a fuller tone. So a 1.1K resistor is used there to split the coils and more of the signal of the #1 coil goes to ground... but it sounds "right" and more like a conventional Strat type pickup.

You can experiemtn with those values, and i have. But I found that I liked the values PRS settled on best.
Thanks. I have to admit I don’t know much about coil splitting or tapping, and I don’t use them much on any of my guitars that have them!

Thanks. I have to admit I don’t know much about coil splitting or tapping, and I don’t use them much on any of my guitars that have them!
Some sets split well and those are usually stronger sets. Like Duncan JB's or PRS Dragon 1's.

Some PAF output pickups wound to 8K or less don't sound so great split because split you're left with a 4K coil whereas a Strat pickup is usually at least 6K or higher.

So the 4K coils of a humbucker sounds low output and weak compared to a Strat pickup.

The coils split on about 1/2 of my humbucker guitars, but they are all guitars with pickups that have a hotter output than a PAF type pickup.

It's a useful sound for SRV and Hendrix chord melody or soul/R&B rhythm or for some quick Dire Straits-like tones.

I haven't split any of my 57/08 sets though. Just my Dragons and BKP Abraxas humbuckers.

Last edited:
Here is something that just happened to me that is directly related to this topic. I have been receiving some compressor pedals that I ordered and I have been doing a quick test on them to make sure everything is working on them as they come in. The last one showed up today. I took a few minutes out of my work day to give it a quick test. I happened to have my 594 in my hands while testing. I pulled up on the tones to tap both pickups. Wow! I don't use this feature very often. This guitar has the resistors in it. My CU22 has 57/08s in it that the PTC put in it in 2009. It does not have the resistors. I just ordered some 1.1k and 2.2k resistors. That CU22 and my SAS are going to get the resistors. What a difference those make. It actually makes the 594 bridge pickup sound like something I can use for mimicking a tele on the bridge pickup live. It doesn't sound exactly like a tele but I got that pop out of it that you get from a tele when I tapped it....

Here is something that just happened to me that is directly related to this topic. I have been receiving some compressor pedals that I ordered and I have been doing a quick test on them to make sure everything is working on them as they come in. The last one showed up today. I took a few minutes out of my work day to give it a quick test. I happened to have my 594 in my hands while testing. I pulled up on the tones to tap both pickups. Wow! I don't use this feature very often. This guitar has the resistors in it. My CU22 has 57/08s in it that the PTC put in it in 2009. It does not have the resistors. I just ordered some 1.1k and 2.2k resistors. That CU22 and my SAS are going to get the resistors. What a difference those make. It actually makes the 594 bridge pickup sound like something I can use for mimicking a tele on the bridge pickup live. It doesn't sound exactly like a tele but I got that pop out of it that you get from a tele when I tapped it....
There ya go. I like those sounds too.

Just to give another choice: a bridge humbucker and a switch that puts it in series or parallel often gives a great single coil sound and it remains humbucking.

Pete Thorn's guitar is set up that way.

Back