What would you choose CE24 or Custom 24-08?

• CE24

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Custom 24-02

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters
Having not played the 24-08, I think the question is simple. Do you want the punch of a CE, or the rounded sound of the Custom, which may be closer to the les Paul's you already have?
I'm a big fan of older used CEs as well. Nothing really spoke to me in the PRS lineup 10-12 years ago until I picked up the "lowly" CE!

How would you describe the sound of the older CEs with the Alder body? I've heard they cracked a bit around the neck pocket, but that it didn't affect tone nor the life of the guitar. I haven't had the chance to actually play one of the older ones yet.

The CEs I had in the past were respectively a 16 and a 18 models. The reason I returned the 18 was due to tuning instability. I found that the culprit was the bridge, which I had to frequently adjust. Looking back, I regret returning my CE24. I don't think the problem I encountered is inherent to CE24s. My guitar was a floor model that probably didn't get proper maintenance at the store. Looking back I should have tried lubricating the area where the pivot screws contact the bridge a bit more. I think I tried it twice, but maybe a few more tries would have done the trick. Basically, I'm happy with my McCarty, but I want something with a Pattern Thin neck and I think something that sounds a bit different would be more justifiable.

How would you describe the sound of the older CEs with the Alder body? I've heard they cracked a bit around the neck pocket, but that it didn't affect tone nor the life of the guitar. I haven't had the chance to actually play one of the older ones yet.

The CEs I had in the past were respectively a 16 and a 18 models. The reason I returned the 18 was due to tuning instability. I found that the culprit was the bridge, which I had to frequently adjust. Looking back, I regret returning my CE24. I don't think the problem I encountered is inherent to CE24s. My guitar was a floor model that probably didn't get proper maintenance at the store. Looking back I should have tried lubricating the area where the pivot screws contact the bridge a bit more. I think I tried it twice, but maybe a few more tries would have done the trick. Basically, I'm happy with my McCarty, but I want something with a Pattern Thin neck and I think something that sounds a bit different would be more justifiable.

In my limited experience I’ve found the import bridge can be a bit unstable out of the box but gets better over time as it gets worn in.

In my limited experience I’ve found the import bridge can be a bit unstable out of the box but gets better over time as it gets worn in.

Thank you. That’s good to know. I’ll be more patient this time around for sure.

I don’t think the steel bridges are really better, worse, or more stiff out of the box. I do think every bridge needs to be broken in. Remember, the nut and the spring tension are the main culprits when a trem won’t hold pitch. I’ve even bought used where the trem needed to be broken in.

The nut on my last CE24 was just perfect. I think I just didn’t give enough time for the bridge to break in. I also think that the fact that the guitar behaved better after lubricanting the pivot heads corroborates my conjecture.

Regardless of the direction I take, CU24-08 or CE24, I learned that I need to be patient with the bridge. I deeply regret parting away with that CE24. The bright side is that I get to pick a color I like even better and possibly go with a core model instead.

The nut on my last CE24 was just perfect. I think I just didn’t give enough time for the bridge to break in. I also think that the fact that the guitar behaved better after lubricanting the pivot heads corroborates my conjecture.

Regardless of the direction I take, CU24-08 or CE24, I learned that I need to be patient with the bridge. I deeply regret parting away with that CE24. The bright side is that I get to pick a color I like even better and possibly go with a core model instead.

At the end of the day, the choice is yours. The CE24 is brighter and, as Bryan Ewald says, some of that is due to the bridge. The Cu24-08 is fatter and warmer sounding but obviously costs a lot more. It also has a more pronounced carve too which some people find less comfortable to play. The difference that the Cu24-08 offers is the ability to individually flick between a Humbucker and a split single coil so you can have a HS or SH option in the middle position - its also easier and quicker to switch between humbucker and SC. I don't know if the CE range offers the option of a Pattern Thin neck which may also be something to consider as the neck feel can be very important for some people where as others, the differences are easy to adapt to and small differences, whilst noticeable, don't have a detrimental effect on their playing.

If you are shopping for a 2nd hand guitar, I would expect the 24-08 to be much harder to find than a CE24. If you like the 24 fret guitars from PRS, you can make a case for owning both. Both are different tonally, more so than the small variation you get between guitars in the same model and range. Therefore, why not look at trying to get hold of both? At the moment, it looks like the Cu24-08 will be the hardest to find 2nd hand so you may have to buy that new and see if you can find a CE24 on the used market - more choice at least. If you do get the Cu24-08, you can take your time looking for the right CE24 to come up on Reverb for example as I bet there are more of these for sale.

If you have to pick 'just' one - then go for the one that you like best - not the one I would go for, not necessarily the one that the results of this Poll tells you to get - the one that you really want - whether that happens to be the Cu24-08, the one the results of this poll suggests you should buy, or not - it has to be the one that you really want. Obviously the 24-08 has a bit more versatility but if you don't want/need that and prefer the CE24, then that really should be where you put your money and there is nothing wrong with owning both either ;)

At the end of the day, the choice is yours. The CE24 is brighter and, as Bryan Ewald says, some of that is due to the bridge. The Cu24-08 is fatter and warmer sounding but obviously costs a lot more. It also has a more pronounced carve too which some people find less comfortable to play. The difference that the Cu24-08 offers is the ability to individually flick between a Humbucker and a split single coil so you can have a HS or SH option in the middle position - its also easier and quicker to switch between humbucker and SC. I don't know if the CE range offers the option of a Pattern Thin neck which may also be something to consider as the neck feel can be very important for some people where as others, the differences are easy to adapt to and small differences, whilst noticeable, don't have a detrimental effect on their playing.

If you are shopping for a 2nd hand guitar, I would expect the 24-08 to be much harder to find than a CE24. If you like the 24 fret guitars from PRS, you can make a case for owning both. Both are different tonally, more so than the small variation you get between guitars in the same model and range. Therefore, why not look at trying to get hold of both? At the moment, it looks like the Cu24-08 will be the hardest to find 2nd hand so you may have to buy that new and see if you can find a CE24 on the used market - more choice at least. If you do get the Cu24-08, you can take your time looking for the right CE24 to come up on Reverb for example as I bet there are more of these for sale.

If you have to pick 'just' one - then go for the one that you like best - not the one I would go for, not necessarily the one that the results of this Poll tells you to get - the one that you really want - whether that happens to be the Cu24-08, the one the results of this poll suggests you should buy, or not - it has to be the one that you really want. Obviously the 24-08 has a bit more versatility but if you don't want/need that and prefer the CE24, then that really should be where you put your money and there is nothing wrong with owning both either ;)

You’re absolutely right, only I can make the right call for myself. What I was hoping for was someone who have more experience with a core Custom 24 or a 24-08 mentioning something I didn’t notice with in the hours I spent trying these guitars at the store. I’m pretty confident with my take on the CE24 (yes the current ones only come with pattern thin necks). However, I’ve never owne a Custom 24 before. You know those small little details that take a few days or weeks for one to notice? Maybe there was something there that are easy to miss trying out guitars at the store. I was hoping one of those to possibly be a tie breaker. I can definitely see myself owning both guitars in the future, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to justify it. The reason I’m so torn is that for everything I like better in one model the other one has a feature I like better. For example, I like the feel of the satin neck better on the CE24, but I like the tone better on the CU24. I prefer the looks of the CU24, but prefer the mojo and utilitarian/workhorse vibe of the CE24. I think the additional 2 pickup position options are not enough to justify a tie breaker. Although very musical beautiful sounding, I don’t foresee myself using those extra positions that often as the six positions already on the CE24. However, even if I were to put weight on the additional tonal options, I like the control layout of the CE24 slightly better. Then there are some minor cosmetics, such a the glued silk logo on the headstock of the CE24. Not a big thing, but since I’m having such a hard time choosing I have to consider everything. The CE hits back by coming with a gig back as opposed to the heavy hard case that comes with the CU24.

You’re absolutely right, only I can make the right call for myself. What I was hoping for was someone who have more experience with a core Custom 24 or a 24-08 mentioning something I didn’t notice with in the hours I spent trying these guitars at the store. I’m pretty confident with my take on the CE24 (yes the current ones only come with pattern thin necks). However, I’ve never owne a Custom 24 before. You know those small little details that take a few days or weeks for one to notice? Maybe there was something there that are easy to miss trying out guitars at the store. I was hoping one of those to possibly be a tie breaker. I can definitely see myself owning both guitars in the future, but I don’t know if I’ll be able to justify it. The reason I’m so torn is that for everything I like better in one model the other one has a feature I like better. For example, I like the feel of the satin neck better on the CE24, but I like the tone better on the CU24. I prefer the looks of the CU24, but prefer the mojo and utilitarian/workhorse vibe of the CE24. I think the additional 2 pickup position options are not enough to justify a tie breaker. Although very musical beautiful sounding, I don’t foresee myself using those extra positions that often as the six positions already on the CE24. However, even if I were to put weight on the additional tonal options, I like the control layout of the CE24 slightly better. Then there are some minor cosmetics, such a the glued silk logo on the headstock of the CE24. Not a big thing, but since I’m having such a hard time choosing I have to consider everything. The CE hits back by coming with a gig back as opposed to the heavy hard case that comes with the CU24.

I have a Core Custom 24 and for me, the hard case is a big positive for me. It maybe heavier but I would much prefer to know my guitar is protected by a hard shell. I am sure though you could pick up a decent Gig bag as well if that's what you prefer and its cheaper to buy a Gig bag than a Hard Case if you need one. There are some gig bags that seem almost as protective as a hard case but I would still prefer a hard case. I have never had an issue with the necks being more glossy and I am sure you can find 24-08's with satin or rosewood necks - may have to pay a premium - I know this though is a big deal for some as the neck is where we have the most interaction with our guitar so it has to feel right but the gloss has never had a negative impact on my playing. Its not me that's playing it so that is irrelevant.

What stands out most to me from your comment though was Tone. That alone is a deal breaker to me and I would go for the one that sounds the best - assuming that you find it equally as playable and you can't argue that it looks stunning. I have the same 8 options on my PRS 594 and I quite like the option of having the bridge in Humbucker mode whilst the neck is split - something the CE doesn't offer but you do get that option on a Core Cu24 too as one of the 5 options - the other being both PU's split which the CE offers. The extra 3 modes a Cu24-08 offers over a core Cu24 are the split neck on its own, split bridge on its own and the bridge split with neck as a humbucker. Its easier to go from humbucker to split on a Cu24-08 - its just a quick flick of a switch compared to trying to pull up the pot on a CE24. That richness of tone, that extra depth and warmth of a core Cu24 was certainly important to me - not saying the CE24 doesn't have great tone too but for me, the Core was much more what I wanted, what I associated with PRS and what I prefer.

I don't know your circumstances, your financial situation or what will be best for you. I don't know why you think you can't justify owning more guitars either, its not important for me to know but if you feel that way, then its more important that you buy the guitar that you think will serve you best. If its that difficult to decide, consider the price difference and think is the Core worth the difference - it was for me but maybe not for you. Its not everyday you get to own a core PRS (if that matters to you) and a lot easier to save up again after buying a Core to get a 2nd hand CE24 after - especially as these are more commonly found on the 2nd market than a Cu24-08. Its more difficult for me to save up for a new Core as GAS, other Tech and domestic responsibilities always tempts me if I have money in my account.

I don't know what you would consider to be a Deal Breaker, something that would push you one way or the other - what you were hoping to hear. Both are great instruments in their respective price points. Its obvious to me what the 'extra' in cost buys you but that's not to say that others may prefer certain attributes and tones the CE offers. I would expect both to be stable, up to the rigours of gigging and serve the working musician very well. I can't see anyone here saying you shouldn't buy one because of 'X' or you must buy one because of 'Y'. I am sure you are aware of the differences and what they feel like to play so it really comes down to you to decide which will be the better option for you. You have to feel most comfortable, most inspired, most happy with your guitar. Its no point buying a Core if you are scared to play it in case it gets fingerprints on it and are in tears if it gets anything more permanent like a bit if buckle rash...

I have a Core Custom 24 and for me, the hard case is a big positive for me. It maybe heavier but I would much prefer to know my guitar is protected by a hard shell. I am sure though you could pick up a decent Gig bag as well if that's what you prefer and its cheaper to buy a Gig bag than a Hard Case if you need one. There are some gig bags that seem almost as protective as a hard case but I would still prefer a hard case. I have never had an issue with the necks being more glossy and I am sure you can find 24-08's with satin or rosewood necks - may have to pay a premium - I know this though is a big deal for some as the neck is where we have the most interaction with our guitar so it has to feel right but the gloss has never had a negative impact on my playing. Its not me that's playing it so that is irrelevant.

What stands out most to me from your comment though was Tone. That alone is a deal breaker to me and I would go for the one that sounds the best - assuming that you find it equally as playable and you can't argue that it looks stunning. I have the same 8 options on my PRS 594 and I quite like the option of having the bridge in Humbucker mode whilst the neck is split - something the CE doesn't offer but you do get that option on a Core Cu24 too as one of the 5 options - the other being both PU's split which the CE offers. The extra 3 modes a Cu24-08 offers over a core Cu24 are the split neck on its own, split bridge on its own and the bridge split with neck as a humbucker. Its easier to go from humbucker to split on a Cu24-08 - its just a quick flick of a switch compared to trying to pull up the pot on a CE24. That richness of tone, that extra depth and warmth of a core Cu24 was certainly important to me - not saying the CE24 doesn't have great tone too but for me, the Core was much more what I wanted, what I associated with PRS and what I prefer.

I don't know your circumstances, your financial situation or what will be best for you. I don't know why you think you can't justify owning more guitars either, its not important for me to know but if you feel that way, then its more important that you buy the guitar that you think will serve you best. If its that difficult to decide, consider the price difference and think is the Core worth the difference - it was for me but maybe not for you. Its not everyday you get to own a core PRS (if that matters to you) and a lot easier to save up again after buying a Core to get a 2nd hand CE24 after - especially as these are more commonly found on the 2nd market than a Cu24-08. Its more difficult for me to save up for a new Core as GAS, other Tech and domestic responsibilities always tempts me if I have money in my account.

I don't know what you would consider to be a Deal Breaker, something that would push you one way or the other - what you were hoping to hear. Both are great instruments in their respective price points. Its obvious to me what the 'extra' in cost buys you but that's not to say that others may prefer certain attributes and tones the CE offers. I would expect both to be stable, up to the rigours of gigging and serve the working musician very well. I can't see anyone here saying you shouldn't buy one because of 'X' or you must buy one because of 'Y'. I am sure you are aware of the differences and what they feel like to play so it really comes down to you to decide which will be the better option for you. You have to feel most comfortable, most inspired, most happy with your guitar. Its no point buying a Core if you are scared to play it in case it gets fingerprints on it and are in tears if it gets anything more permanent like a bit if buckle rash...

Oh absolutely. Although my McCarty has a gloss neck, I can’t think on anything bad to say about its finish. It’s just the neck on a CE just feel slightly nicer to me. Not in any way that affects my playing or technique, but it has a bit more of a wow factor to me. I’m not too inclined on paying extra for a different for it though. And on principle, I would not want to buy a guitar and not play the crap out of it. I see any regular wear and tear as trophies. I actually prefer the mojo of a guitar that shows it’s been played in. I never shied away from playing my McCarty. What I meant by the workhorse mojo of the CEs is that they have that “I don’t care how I look, my only purpose is to sound good” vibe to them. With that said I’m thinking I’m starting to lean a bit more towards a Custom 24-04 or even a regular Custom 24 if the color and weight is right. I believe this thread is helping me. I find it useful to discuss these topics with others, if anything it helps me organize my thoughts. I’m not expecting others to make the choice for me. Talking to others just helps me make my own choice. And I wouldn’t call it a deal breaker, but a tie breaker. Both guitars are absolutely amazing so I don’t think there is a right or wrong choice. But maybe I missed something that I value that someone else might bring up and help me make my mind. Like for instance, way back when I was choosing a Tele and someone pointed out to me the fretboard edges on the two models I was considering ended up helping me make the right decision for me.

Oh absolutely. Although my McCarty has a gloss neck, I can’t think on anything bad to say about its finish. It’s just the neck on a CE just feel slightly nicer to me. Not in any way that affects my playing or technique, but it has a bit more of a wow factor to me. I’m not too inclined on paying extra for a different for it though. And on principle, I would not want to buy a guitar and not play the crap out of it. I see any regular wear and tear as trophies. I actually prefer the mojo of a guitar that shows it’s been played in. I never shied away from playing my McCarty. What I meant by the workhorse mojo of the CEs is that they have that “I don’t care how I look, my only purpose is to sound good” vibe to them. With that said I’m thinking I’m starting to lean a bit more towards a Custom 24-04 or even a regular Custom 24 if the color and weight is right. I believe this thread is helping me. I find it useful to discuss these topics with others, if anything it helps me organize my thoughts. I’m not expecting others to make the choice for me. Talking to others just helps me make my own choice. And I wouldn’t call it a deal breaker, but a tie breaker. Both guitars are absolutely amazing so I don’t think there is a right or wrong choice. But maybe I missed something that I value that someone else might bring up and help me make my mind. Like for instance, way back when I was choosing a Tele and someone pointed out to me the fretboard edges on the two models I was considering ended up helping me make the right decision for me.

I think the extra time, care and attention to detail they take to make a core guitar, its basically what you would expect from a custom shop guitar for most brands. It takes a LOT longer to sand and shape the body after the CNC has done the 'rough' shaping - at least 3x as long to do a Core guitar and that's just this one stage. The Maple cap is around double the thickness and depending on whether you believe in tone wood or not will depend on whether that matters but the more I have found out about PRS guitars from watching the many tours of the factory as well as personal experience of their instruments, the more I believe that the Core models are more like custom shop guitars.

These have the mojo that says I look freaking awesome but I sound freaking better! These aren't guitars that look great but can't back it up with both great audio and playability. These are like Ferrari's, the kind you would happily have a poster of on your wall because they look so good but also have the performance and engine note that just blows you away if you ever get the chance to get to drive one. I totally understood why Tim Pierce calls them Ferrari's of the guitar world.

I can't fault the CE's either and they are great guitars for the price. I would be more than happy with one as they are great guitars - either as a 2nd guitar or as a stepping stone to get a core as I do prefer the tonal qualities in the Core model. Some people though prefer the CE over the Core model so whichever guitar you get, you should be happy with. They are different enough to warrant getting both. If you have the money now for a core, then you could buy that and wait until you find a great CE24 or maybe even try and find the semi-hollow CE24 for something even more different from the Core CU24. It would be easier to save for a CE than a Core especially if you don't mind buying 2nd hand. I don't believe PRS would allow any guitar to leave their site if it didn't meet a certain standard so either way, you will be getting a great guitar.

Its your money though so listen to what your head and heart are telling you. You don't want to buy one and then wish you had bought the other. I don't regret buying any of my guitars - but then why would I when my Cu24 looks like this.

ExpmAXk.jpg

And sounds better than she looks too.... :D

I think the extra time, care and attention to detail they take to make a core guitar, its basically what you would expect from a custom shop guitar for most brands. It takes a LOT longer to sand and shape the body after the CNC has done the 'rough' shaping - at least 3x as long to do a Core guitar and that's just this one stage. The Maple cap is around double the thickness and depending on whether you believe in tone wood or not will depend on whether that matters but the more I have found out about PRS guitars from watching the many tours of the factory as well as personal experience of their instruments, the more I believe that the Core models are more like custom shop guitars.

These have the mojo that says I look freaking awesome but I sound freaking better! These aren't guitars that look great but can't back it up with both great audio and playability. These are like Ferrari's, the kind you would happily have a poster of on your wall because they look so good but also have the performance and engine note that just blows you away if you ever get the chance to get to drive one. I totally understood why Tim Pierce calls them Ferrari's of the guitar world.

I can't fault the CE's either and they are great guitars for the price. I would be more than happy with one as they are great guitars - either as a 2nd guitar or as a stepping stone to get a core as I do prefer the tonal qualities in the Core model. Some people though prefer the CE over the Core model so whichever guitar you get, you should be happy with. They are different enough to warrant getting both. If you have the money now for a core, then you could buy that and wait until you find a great CE24 or maybe even try and find the semi-hollow CE24 for something even more different from the Core CU24. It would be easier to save for a CE than a Core especially if you don't mind buying 2nd hand. I don't believe PRS would allow any guitar to leave their site if it didn't meet a certain standard so either way, you will be getting a great guitar.

Its your money though so listen to what your head and heart are telling you. You don't want to buy one and then wish you had bought the other. I don't regret buying any of my guitars - but then why would I when my Cu24 looks like this.

ExpmAXk.jpg

And sounds better than she looks too.... :D

Holly smokes, that is a beautiful guitar. Is that your favorite? And you’re absolutely right about the Core guitars being close to Custom shops from other. My Tele is technically a custom shop, but let’s just say it’s a custom shop lite. The other custom shop is my R0. That guitar phenomenal and I have to agree that my McCarty more than keeps up with it.

Regarding the semi hollow option for the CE, I was actually flirting with that idea. There some really beautiful finishes available among the semi hollow CEs. I’ll probably pull the trigger on Monday when my bonus comes it. It’s looking like I’ll be going the core route, unless I change my mind until then. I’m even considering a regular Custom 24, just because I like the color, its light weight, and neck profile. I’m also eying some 24-08, but the ones I’m looking are either heavier, or have a different neck profile than I was hoping or are in colors I don’t like as much as the regular Custom 24 that’s been tempting me.

Holly smokes, that is a beautiful guitar. Is that your favorite? And you’re absolutely right about the Core guitars being close to Custom shops from other. My Tele is technically a custom shop, but let’s just say it’s a custom shop lite. The other custom shop is my R0. That guitar phenomenal and I have to agree that my McCarty more than keeps up with it.

Regarding the semi hollow option for the CE, I was actually flirting with that idea. There some really beautiful finishes available among the semi hollow CEs. I’ll probably pull the trigger on Monday when my bonus comes it. It’s looking like I’ll be going the core route, unless I change my mind until then. I’m even considering a regular Custom 24, just because I like the color, its light weight, and neck profile. I’m also eying some 24-08, but the ones I’m looking are either heavier, or have a different neck profile than I was hoping or are in colors I don’t like as much as the regular Custom 24 that’s been tempting me.

I don't really have favourites, that'd like trying to pick a favourite out of your children. All my Guitars bring something unique to the table that the others don't. That being said, the Custom 24 has the best top - although I do think the one-piece top and back of my HBii pushes it really close.

PRS Guitars are guitars you can happily order over the internet. As such, you could search for the Custom 24-08 in the colour, neck profile and weight you want. If you are spending that much, might as well try and find the one that has the specs you want too. Its also worth speaking to retailers who are PRS dealers too and ask them to try and find you one. If they haven't got one, they can speak to the rep and try and source one for you.

I went with the Custom 24-08 in Aquamarine. Can’t wait for the guitar to arrive.

Nice! I hope you share some pics when it arrives and hope it exceeds your expectations....

I just notice something interesting. Some Custom 24-08s come from factory with the neck pickup "right side up" (adjustable pole pieces closer to the neck, like on Mozzi's Custom 24), but others come "upside down" (neck adjustable pole pieces away from the neck, like). Anyone know why PRS does that? Is it the preference of the person putting the guitar together at the factory or what they judge is "better" for each particular guitar? It's trivial to flip the pickups around, but I was just wondering if there is an explanation why they differ.

Edit: I will share pictures when it arrives. Thank you everyone for helping so much. You were all very awesome with your inputs and help.

I just notice something interesting. Some Custom 24-08s come from factory with the neck pickup "right side up" (adjustable pole pieces closer to the neck, like on Mozzi's Custom 24), but others come "upside down" (neck adjustable pole pieces away from the neck, like). Anyone know why PRS does that? Is it the preference of the person putting the guitar together at the factory or what they judge is "better" for each particular guitar? It's trivial to flip the pickups around, but I was just wondering if there is an explanation why they differ.

Edit: I will share pictures when it arrives. Thank you everyone for helping so much. You were all very awesome with your inputs and help.

IIRC, they were upside down due to something with the MT pickups.

Mine have the 85/15's in. The Custom 24 has been around for nearly 35yrs now and maybe some of the ones you have seen have different PU's in. I do like the way Paul names his PU's - the first numbers relate to the 'year' they are based after and the last set, the year they released so 58/15 would mean they are based on a 58 humbucker and released in 2015 and the 85/15 are the Pick-ups Paul wished he had for the original Custom 24 which released in 1985 and where released in 2015. I don't know if the ones you have seen have the 85/15's like mine or some of the other PU's that Custom 24's have had over the years.

Mine have the 85/15's in. The Custom 24 has been around for nearly 35yrs now and maybe some of the ones you have seen have different PU's in. I do like the way Paul names his PU's - the first numbers relate to the 'year' they are based after and the last set, the year they released so 58/15 would mean they are based on a 58 humbucker and released in 2015 and the 85/15 are the Pick-ups Paul wished he had for the original Custom 24 which released in 1985 and where released in 2015. I don't know if the ones you have seen have the 85/15's like mine or some of the other PU's that Custom 24's have had over the years.

Most come with the 85/15 MT (multi tap). But I’ve also seen some special releases that have the 58/15 MT in them as well. The 85/15 MT in regular humbucker mode sound exactly like the regular 85/15. The difference when tapped are that the MT do not have a very noticible volume drop and they’re a bit less straty than the regular 85/15s.

85/15 MT Regular Way:
https://reverb.com/item/10669644-pr...bite-fade?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share
85/15 MT “inverted”:
https://reverb.com/item/13507135-pr...quamarine?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share

58/15 MT “inverted”:
https://reverb.com/item/10909742-pr...te-237500?utm_source=ios-app&utm_medium=share

Back