Custom 24 and 24-08

Headset

Guitarrista
Hi All,

I own a core custom 24 piezo and a wood library custom 24 floyd. The floyd has metal pickups and maple neck/fretboard and this differentiates the guitars enough where I feel they fit different roles in my roster. I’m thinking about getting a wood library custom 24-08 with a rosewood neck. I’m sure you will all enable my purchase anyway but just wanted to ask around if you find the 24-08 offers enough difference to separate it from a regular custom or if rosewood neck is enough to change the tone for your preferences.

Cheers!

Sounds like there's enough difference there for me to justify having all three. In fact, I'm in a similar boat....I have a Custom 24 Piezo (well, two actually...one with a maple neck/board, and one as a "standard" build with mahogany neck, rosewood board) and a 2018 24-08 with a rosewood neck and board, and a 35th Anniversary Custom 24 (what is now basically the current 24-08).

Sonically, there's quite a bit of difference between them all, both acoustically and electrically. My 24-08's have the ability to split one pickup at a time, something that cannot be done (factory spec, wise, at least) on the 5-way blade switch-equipped guitars. My 24-08 has the 58/15MT pickups and the two P24's and 35th Anniversary have the 85/15 pickups.

The 24-08 with the rosewood neck is a bit warmer/mid-rangy and the lower-output pickups also cater to that on the electric side. The 85/15 pickups are definitely more modern, but sound great in all three applications I have them in. Punchy, clear, and expressive when utilizing the volume and tone controls. I'd say the maple neck and board of the WL P24 give a tad more punch and articulation over the "standard builds" (mahogany body and neck, rosewood board) of the 35th Anniversary and second P24.

But yeah, all in all, for me I find enough difference to "want" the variations.

Sounds like there's enough difference there for me to justify having all three. In fact, I'm in a similar boat....I have a Custom 24 Piezo (well, two actually...one with a maple neck/board, and one as a "standard" build with mahogany neck, rosewood board) and a 2018 24-08 with a rosewood neck and board, and a 35th Anniversary Custom 24 (what is now basically the current 24-08).

Sonically, there's quite a bit of difference between them all, both acoustically and electrically. My 24-08's have the ability to split one pickup at a time, something that cannot be done (factory spec, wise, at least) on the 5-way blade switch-equipped guitars. My 24-08 has the 58/15MT pickups and the two P24's and 35th Anniversary have the 85/15 pickups.

The 24-08 with the rosewood neck is a bit warmer/mid-rangy and the lower-output pickups also cater to that on the electric side. The 85/15 pickups are definitely more modern, but sound great in all three applications I have them in. Punchy, clear, and expressive when utilizing the volume and tone controls. I'd say the maple neck and board of the WL P24 give a tad more punch and articulation over the "standard builds" (mahogany body and neck, rosewood board) of the 35th Anniversary and second P24.

But yeah, all in all, for me I find enough difference to "want" the variations.
Thanks for all the detail in your response, much appreciated! I went ahead and completed the purchase. NGD post will be later this week.

Thanks for all the detail in your response, much appreciated! I went ahead and completed the purchase. NGD post will be later this week.

Anytime! Pretty cool I had the source material you were asking about!

Excited to see the NGD post! The newer 24-08 (or 35th Anniversary) control layout is one of my favorites!

I have a 35th anniversary and I love it. The control setup makes so much more sense than a blade switch or anything like that.

I think it's a brilliant set up. The trem bar can get in the way of the blade switch plus it puts the tone knob closer to the bridge. The 35th and the current 24-08 have the controls in a far more natural position for me. Lots of great sounds to be had.

I think it's a brilliant set up. The trem bar can get in the way of the blade switch plus it puts the tone knob closer to the bridge. The 35th and the current 24-08 have the controls in a far more natural position for me. Lots of great sounds to be had.
Yep. Even the original 24-08 sucked. The blade switch wasn't in an easy to reach place. I got rid of mine when I got the 35th. And that was a fancy wood library one. No regrets. Only USA PRS I've ever sold.

Back