Cars, Cigars & Guitars (One Man's Lament)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ]-[@n$0Ma☩!©, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Mike Duncan

Mike Duncan DGT Player

All of this AND he's two months younger than me....

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© likes this.
  2. 11top

11top Cousin Eddie's cousin

Me, too!

Mike Duncan and ]-[@n$0Ma☩!© like this.
  3. Bill SAS 513

Bill SAS 513 Just another old guy in a T-shirt

Congrats, Hans...gorgeous ride!

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© likes this.
  4. Big Mike

Big Mike This space for rent

Bastid.

5. Big Mike

Big Mike This space for rent

;) I keeeeeeeeeeeed.

What a fun experience Hans! Enjoy the new car.

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© likes this.
  6. Jester

Jester New Member

Congrats! Awesome car and a very cool experience.

]-[@n$0Ma☩!© likes this.
  7. Tremontinator

Tremontinator New Member

I was stationed at USAG Bamberg so, I think I can speak from a lot more experience than most here.

US spec cars + Autobahn = bad idea

They're not designed for it. Period. First, the brakes aren't designed to stop at those speeds. You'll heat em up and they'll fade. This leads to Brown spots in your Trousers. Ask me how I know.

If you can manage not to overheat them, they'll wear out alarmingly fast. I was doing brake jobs on my buddy's Honda Civic every 6 effing weeks. Hell, he faded a few within a week. (Young, dumb, and full of a certain liquid that rhymes with dumb.)

Next is differentials
    They can't oil themselves properly at those speeds. Driving US spec cars on the Autobahn for prolonged periods will rapidly deteriorate your gear oil and lead to welded gears. And brother, you haven't smelled stink until you change out burnt gear oil.

Again, ask me how I know.

Transmission
    Manual gear oil can't hold up to the heat of high speeds
    Neither can synchros
    Trannys are designed to run on a specific fluid. Changing to something that works on the Autobahn mucks with the required lubricity, detergents, additives, viscosity, and other characteristics

Automatic transmissions are worse yet. You'll blow hydraulic pistons and melt clutches and warp bands. Probably not good for hard parts either such as the planetary set, final drive differential, torque converter, etc etc etc

And you'll have your motor pinned up against redline which accelerates wear on the internal components and increases heat to the point that the cooling system cannot handle it.

Plus, you'll need to put high speed tires on it immediately or risk a blowout at Autobahn speeds. American spec includes tires that cannot handle the heat generated from such high speeds.

Even American race cars such as Vettes, Camaros, Vipers, Shitstang Slowbras, etc aren't designed to run high speeds for extended periods of time or that frequently.

American buyers of these cars rarely if ever exceed American speed limits. Manufacturers know this, and build them accordingly.

A US spec Camaro Z/28 for example will run better and last longer than say a US spec Honda but, ultimately, it's just not going to hold up to extended and repeated jaunts down the Autobahn.

I watched plenty of guys fail to grasp the simple concept that US spec cars aren't designed to run the Autobahn. And I made an avalanche of cash fixing their rides. More than enough to buy a beater 93 325i with a man's transmission and carry insurance. And I ran that baby hard up and down the Autobahn.

Fresh American G.I. Jane comes to town "Hey, baby, you ever been down the Autobahn before?" :eek::eek::eek:;)

Them're solid cars. Ugly as hell but, they got me around on post and they went fast enough to get laid. I changed oil in them, always needed a fuel pump, went through some tires and suspension components but, overall, I was mostly impressed.

Hated working on them though. EuroTrash is just an absolute nightmare