Cars, Cigars & Guitars (One Man's Lament)

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
Cars, Cigars & Guitars. These are my most favourite things. And while I have plenty of the later two, I am currently without a car and winter is coming.

My beater was starting to show signs of death so I cut it loose. Until I buy something else, I am relegated to the motorcycle or depending on my lovely wife for a ride to work - which is a hassle because we live 30 minutes from my office and she would also have to retrieve me.

Replacing my car has proven to be a bigger challenge than I expected. I don't want a car payment but I also don't want to plop-down a wad of cash for a car that will depreciate by 20% the moment I drive off the lot. While I'd love to be the wise old owl and buy a modest car that gets the job done, I am tired of driving old cars. I want something shiny and fast. Before its all over, I suspect I'll be selling some guitars.

If I could get a 2-door Golf R, that might scratch the itch but the 4-door doesn't work for me (the B-pillar gets in my way). I'd settle for the 2-door Audi S3 but I can only get the 4-door version in US specification. Even if I could get the 2-door S3, Audi stopped building it last year. A 2-door car, with longer doors, is ideal. If I could find a US-spec 2014 Carrara 4s in Germany, that would be my first pick. Alas, there aren't many US-spec 911's coming into Germany. An Audi R8 would be a riot but they're just too damned expensive. I briefly considered a XR1 or Z06 but a 'Vette just isn't my style. Besides, that's PfennRock's scene.

Fortunately, many manufacturers have a program that will allow me to buy a US-spec car while here in Germany (BMW, Chevy, Dodge, Volvo, Mercedes Benz, VW, Audi, Toyota, Ford, Jeep, and Harley-Davidson). I am not wanting for selection but I'll be damned if this isn't one of the more difficult decisions I've made in a long while.

At the moment, I am leaning heavily toward buying a 2019 BMW M2 Competition or a 2019 Ford Raptor. If I knew I was going to stay in Germany for a few more years, the M2 Competition would be a done deal. But all that track-oriented performance would be a waste in the states unless I was going to track-days.

[sigh]

If you guys were on the market for a fun-to-drive and all-wheel-drive 2-door car. What would it be?

Last edited:
It is. But I want a 2015 Carrera 4s (before the engines were ruined). I can't find a used one in US spec here in Germany. If I bought a Euro-spec car, I wouldn't be able to take it home. I could by a 25-year-old 911 but those fukkerz are almost more than a new one. And, in many cases, really are.

Maybe not worth the cost/hassle/etc but... What's shipping for sending a car from the US to Germany?

It is. But I want a 2015 Carrera 4s (before the engines were ruined). I can't find a used one in US spec here in Germany. If I bought a Euro-spec car, I wouldn't be able to take it home. I could by a 25-year-old 911 but those fukkerz are almost more than a new one. And, in many cases, really are.

So why not get a Euro spec and sell it when your States bound?

My neighbor is a car salesman, and he won a year of dealer drivers. He's had a couple of Dodge Challengers that he really liked to drive. He's on a Camaro now. He also really liked the Jaguar XK.

I’m a Jeep guy now because...well, my wife got one and I was so impressed that I got the same damned thing. The Grand Cherokee platform was the last thing Benz designed when they owned Chrysler, so it’s essentially an E-30 suspension...but you said two doors, so that’s out. I mention it only because it’s new and I’m shocked how good it is. I mean, gosh-darn shocked.

2 doors? Fun? I’d get the BMW.

Interesting range Hans.
I really like the value proposition of the Golf R. 3 Mike probably agrees. We’re both on our second generation of GTI.

I’ve been repeatedly tempted by the Raptor, but I would hate the fuel bill.

I haven’t counted the doors, but recently I’ve been finding the RS5 highly seductive, especially in the wicked green they have for it.

6YTwH9m.jpg

"cut it loose"?!!

Where I come from we squeeze every mile out of the life of a car.:D

First Mustang I’ve really liked. Bad azz!

Yeah, I remember my father telling me in 2012-2013 that the new generation was coming, and I thought about the ones that were out and thought "yeah -- fat chance!" Then I actually saw the pictures of the upcoming 2015s and knew I was doomed to buy one...

Yeah, I remember my father telling me in 2012-2013 that the new generation was coming, and I thought about the ones that were out and thought "yeah -- fat chance!" Then I actually saw the pictures of the upcoming 2015s and knew I was doomed to buy one...
My first new car was a factory-ordered Mustang GT in 1986. It was a glorious car! Man, I was a menace in that thing. :oops: Anyway, I hadn’t wanted one since then...until the new body style...lower, wider, kinda like the 911. A new Mustang would not be kicked out of my garage. In fact it could look just like Herr Squid’s and I’d be very happy. Beautiful!

If the M2 is anything like the M5 competition I drove yesterday...it’ll be a few years before the smile leaves your face.

640x350m

I had a supernatural experience with an alpha Romeo 8c a few years back. Fell in love with this car while following it through my rural Washington state home town. The overrun on this car sounds amazing. It was like the loud angry roar of the bat-mobile in the dark knight. It’s visually striking but so simple. I was hypnotized into a trance by the sound and look for a good 15 minutes.

I lived in Los Angeles for 2 years around that time and never saw a single one, while I saw hundreds and doubles of many high-end sports cars.

Edit: there’s a top-gear test drive of this car and he mentions the overrun. It’s certainly notable and something I never knew I cared about until I heard this car.

Last edited:
Back