Calling all you youngster!

Have you thought about changing your mattress? How old is your mattress? Considering we spend 1/4 to 1/3 of our lives on the mattress, it is critical to overall health, especially back and joint issues. Just a thought, hope you are able to find a solution!

Did somebody say “mattress”, now we’ll have to get into the fish tank and sing.

On a more serious note, a chiropractor is the way to go. He fixed me recently when I threw my back.

For those who enjoy a good image, I was walking like I’d shat myself, much to the amusement of friends and family.

Walking works for me. Not standing still for long periods of time. Staying loose.

Something I discovered that was "not normal" was my recent sugar intake. (I baked a peach blueberry pie with ¾ cup of sugar). I've been away on mini-vacation from work, and been seated in front of my computer for several days in a row typing notes. The 4 or 5 days of consistent computer use, coupled with the pie during the same time, produced intermittent pain in my right hip. The pain would manifest itself as a sharp pain that would last a few seconds, then subside. I recalled that sugar acts as an inflammatory agent that produces pain when consumed.

Now that I've finished with my note-taking, and handed out the remaining pieces of pie to neighbors, the hip pain has subsided. It was like flipping a switch. Several days of sharp, intermittent hip pain, then nothing.

I head back to work this week, and usually walk about 8500 to 9000 steps a day, (about 2 to 2-¼ miles) when I track with my phone. The work and exercise helps keep my weight down.

I've also resolved to no longer bake pies with sugar, but with other means of sweetening. My doctor suggests to walk more early in the morning of after dinner when it's cooler. Adding just 30 minutes of walking every other day will contribute to better health. The doctor also asked me to consider the DASH diet. My backyard garden is producing cucumbers and cherry tomatoes that are part of my summer diet regimen. I mix this with some crumbled feta cheese for a modest salad.

Regards exercise, stretching before and after exercise helps reduce strain from exercising "cold" muscles. Muscles need to be warmed up before they can be put through their paces. Once you finish with your exercise routine, remember to cool down and stretch.

Lola, you might note that your back pain doesn't always occur consistently. If it subsides after a week's time, you can chalk it up to strain and recovery. If the pain doesn't subside, then it might be time to check with a chiropractor for an adjustment, as @Alnus Rubra had said.

Your doctor may suggest to pursue the least invasive path, with changes to your diet and exercise routine first. Not only will you save money that way, but also reap the benefits of better health sooner. Treating the symptoms has long been the mindset of western philosophy, but curing the ailment at the root cause will be what you should strive for.

Back