Best Stage Guitar Amp Ever? (non prs content warning)

A recurring question here on our forum is - "which amp is best?"

Strangely, this came up on my feed! So, thought of sharing with you...

https://www.sweetwater.com/insync/best-stage-guitar-amp-ever/

What say you?

I can totally agree with this. Digital amp modelling offers a wide variety of options that, if you had to buy OR carry Amps, Cabs, Mics etc to gigs with different acoustics, try to dial in 'your' tone, its so much easier and more consistent to take a digital option.

I don't own a Kemper myself but I have heard these are superb at emulating your 'backline' - so much so that audiences and even knowledgeable people can't hear any differences. There are advantages too where you may have used a Fender for a clean tone on an album and a JCM800 for your crunch tone and a 5150 amp for your high gain solo - not easy to replicate whilst on tour unless you have a Digital Modeller. Things like Headrush and Helix can have a single switch to go from a clean sound with a little reverb on a Fender amp, to a fuzz, Boost, delay different reverb, etc on a JCM800 - instead of looking like you are playing Just Dance on a dance mat as you switch different pedals on/off. If you want the 'same' pedal but with different settings for different parts of a song, you either need 2 of the same individual pedal or just have a different patch on your Multi-FX unit. You can easily swap the order of pedals in your signal chain without having to do that manually mid gig/song as you would with real pedals. These Pedals though do offer loops to add real pedals too if you prefer your Strymon delay compared to the in-built delay options.

Whilst these multi-fx amp modelling options are very convenient, easier for touring in different venues etc, that doesn't mean that you can't have a great amp and use individual pedals at home or in the studio. They can and do offer a LOT of variety to experiment with. If you don't know what a phlanger could offer or deciding if it could be worth purchasing, you have that option, also have the option to experiment with many more Amps, Cabs and Mics too - help you decide. For the money, you would be hard pressed to get everything these offer.

They might not have the 'cool' factor of playing through a real amp on stage but that isn't always the 'best' tonally in some venues and not the easiest to transport and set-up for every gig either. Studio work and playing for fun at home may be better suited to real amps etc but live touring, I think I would have to agree that Digital modelling is perhaps the best option...

I A/B'd a Kemper powered head with a Diezel and it sounded like garbage compared to a real amp. I know they're convenient and easy to dial in, but outside of being great to record with, they all sound a bit solid state-ish to me.

I think the author of the article is implying that the traditional stage amps are not necessary anymore. The advent of the "golden age of mfx/modelers" enables us to have a variety of preamp and amp options all in one pedal board. Thus, all we need is a flat response amplification instead of tons of gear as we traditionally do.

I have not owned tube amps in my 30+ years of amateur playing because I could not afford one. I came from a 3rd world country where money is scarce and still can't afford one even though I live in America now because I have a family to feed. I have been an mfx person since the beginning. Well, I started with an Ibanez Distortion pedal as a beginner... But it was Zoom, Digitech, and then Boss mfx afterwards. With my current Boss GT-100 with all the preamp, cab, and mic'ing sims, I realized that all I need is amplification.

I am glad that mfx gives me the opportunity to try what certain amp sounds like. They're definitely not the exact, but at least they are close. Why do I need more than one preamp sound? Because I like to play different things. I like the Bogner Uberscahll and the Mesa Dual Rec for chug metal, Blues Breaker for blues, the Soldano gain and cleans for Worship, and so on and so forth. I will certainly not be able to afford to own all those amps!

I don't gig anymore, and I am currently happy with my mfx to power amp to PA speaker for playing at home. The setup is also capable for gigging if needed.

While I stopped gigging last year because of health issues, the previous couple of years were done with a Helix Rack system. I did regional tours and local gigs with it, and was never happier with my tone on a gig by gig basis. The benefits for the whole band were astonishing as well. Everyone could hear themselves better because I wasn't pushing tubes to the point of meltdown to get my sound "right". Our rehearsal volumes were manageable, stage volume was manageable, the sound person at the club could control FOH easier. Just everything was better. Did I have to make compromises? Yeah, a couple.....

The first was that I needed to find an amp that sounded similar to mine. "What do you mean? Those digital things have TONS of amps!!" Yeah, but I had been using Rivera with EVM12L speakers for 20 years by that time. If you have never played a Rivera or EVM speakers, let me tell you...it makes for a "different" tone. Very clear and un-forgiving. Very in your face. Very dry, even with full saturation. Finding an amp/speaker combo in the Helix that would cover the tonal response and feel I was use to having was a slight challenge. Now, it would be much easier - Line 6 included the EVM Mesa cab, and the Trainwreck model responds VERY closely to the Rivera M/S and TBR amps.

But, I got the Helix when it was first released. I found my rig after A LOT of work. It ended up being based on an AC15 model with an MXR comp, an OCD, and a spring reverb in front of the amp. I had to be creative, but I made it work. For the actual "amplification" of the signal I went with an EV ZLX12P PA wedge. When doing tests at the GC, I felt the EV gave me the closest response and feel to the EVM12L I was used to using. Makes logical sense, right? EV made both. Anyway, once I had it set up I never looked back. The compliments on my tone were frequent and MANY guitarists had great difficulty in accepting that my sound was coming from a Line 6 product...

It's an interesting thing because I recently grabbed a couple of tube amps again, and I will admit they sound killer, but I am not 100% sure I would even consider gigging them if I was ever TO gig again. I bought one so I could do jams and stuff - I still think showing up to a jam with your Helix rig will "upset" some players and make for an uncomfortable situation. And while I am enjoying those amps - both hand-wired PTP boutique amps - I still equally enjoying plugging into my Helix and playing.

Ehh, c’mon, we all know the answer to this advertisement.

I disagree that this is just an advertisement. It would make much more sense for Sweetwater (or any other retailer) to discredit the 'digital modellers'. Why spend a little on a complete rig when they should be spending a LOT on separate Pedals with lots of patch cables, a universal power supply, a way to switch pedals on/off in loops etc etc, an expensive Amp head or 3 as well as multiple different cabs and mics for different sized gigs, wet/dry set ups etc etc. It makes much more sense for retailers to discredit a 'one for all' digital modeller that costs less than an Amp head, let alone everything else a Helix, Headrush etc can replace.

For someone who is 'touring', all they need is their guitar and Helix (for example) that can go straight to the PA and instantly have all your sounds, even if they are vastly different from one song to the next all with a simple push of a footswitch to change to a different patch set-up. You can even have your Wet/Dry sound too without needing multiple amps. Its much cheaper to travel with, not having to take amps, cabs and mics on tour with you.

It may not be as 'romantic' as playing live with a Marshall stack booming on the backline but you don't have to perform a tap dance to switch on several pedals and switch off others mid song. Maybe it doesn't 'suit' everyone who takes there 20/50w Combo and pedal board with 4-6 pedals to the same local pub to play the same basic songs week in week out. Needing an Amp to be heard to play alongside your mates Bass and drum kits maybe a real combo is all that you really need. Recording tracks in a studio maybe better to use a real amp and cab mic'd a certain way to add a layer into the track.

Not everyone is the same, I know. Why buy a £4k guitar when your audience can't hear the difference between that and the one that costs 20-25% the price? The same thing applies here too - Why buy a £4k back line (Amp, Cab, mic) maybe more if you have a wet/dry set up, and have at least £2k of pedals (not inc cables etc) in front of you when an £800 Helix can sound the same to the audience - even if its not quite the same to the musician? Why lug all of that out to various different places, all with different acoustics so it has to be set-up and sound checked every time and at the end of the night pack it all away, lug it back to van night after night - well that depends on the person - whether all that effort is worth it or prefer the convenience of an 'all-in-one' solution for something your audience can't differentiate between.

I am not saying that 'digital' is the 'right' solution for everyone regardless but it certainly has its pro's and the digital solution is being favoured more and more by gigging musicians. I don't believe it will signal the end of Amps - not at all. It may become like 'vinyl' records, something people prefer at home but then happily make do with digital when out of the house because its more convenient and can fit more records on one digital device.

Lately I've seen some great side stage pics of fake stacks with a mic'd combo behind them. Touring with big iron is expensive and generally unnecessary with the advances in FOH.

The big acts are largely moving to fractal for FOH as well even with tubes on stage.

I've gigged axe fx and loved it. Sits in the mix beautifully. Still love tubes, but SS has really gotten there now.

I've never been a fan of Craig Anderton's tones. I built some of his designs in the '80s. But at least he's been a consistent advocate for SS over the decades. I think he's legit, but most of his stuff still does read like advertisement.

I disagree that this is just an advertisement. It would make much more sense for Sweetwater (or any other retailer) to discredit the 'digital modellers'. Why spend a little on a complete rig when they should be spending a LOT on separate Pedals with lots of patch cables, a universal power supply, a way to switch pedals on/off in loops etc etc, an expensive Amp head or 3 as well as multiple different cabs and mics for different sized gigs, wet/dry set ups etc etc. It makes much more sense for retailers to discredit a 'one for all' digital modeller that costs less than an Amp head, let alone everything else a Helix, Headrush etc can replace.

Did everyone stop at an AxeFX I? Or a POD? Or with their first iPhone? Or with a Yamaha DX7? Think your position through a bit.

I've never been a fan of Craig Anderton's tones. I built some of his designs in the '80s. But at least he's been a consistent advocate for SS over the decades. I think he's legit, but most of his stuff still does read like advertisement.

Craig is an amazing asset to the musical community and more than deserves to eat. I don’t blame him a bit for taking a gig at Sweetwater.

Agreed, and he probably wouldn't have survived without the self-promotion. Necessary evil.

Craig Anderton wrote one of the earliest books on MIDI, called “MIDI For Musicians”; it was how I learned how to use it around 1987 or so. He was also a pioneer of software sequencing.

I believe he also worked to develop the MIDI spec. He’s a very experienced guy.

As to modelers, everyone already knows how I feel about them, yet despite my well-reasoned arguments, people keep buying them.

Then again, there are people who drink instant coffee instead of fresh ground. There’s really no explanation for human nature.

Last edited:
As to modelers, everyone already knows how I feel about them, yet despite my well-reasoned arguments, people keep buying them.

I'm sorry - you had a take on modelers? I can't recall you ever mentioning them. Were you in favor or not?

PnR.gif

Craig Anderton wrote one of the earliest books on MIDI, called “MIDI For Musicians”; it was how I learned how to use it around 1987 or so. He was also a pioneer of software sequencing.

I believe he also worked to develop the MIDI spec. He’s a very experienced guy.

I still have it, and Electronic Projects for Musicians (or whatever the title is). I suppose after twenty some years I’m never getting around to building my own pedals. :oops:

Back