Best Hardcase for a PrivateStock PRS

MrSuperstar

Blues Lawyer
Hi guys, I should get a Private Stock McCarty 594 Hollowbody II, with which I plan to play a lot (outdoor gigs and camper trips).
As it is my first PRS (and my first Private Stock too), I have no idea how protective the rectangular Hardcase that comes with the Private Stock is.

So I thought I'd ask you directly if it's enough safe to protect the guitar or should I buy a MONO Softcase, which from what I see from videos like this is among the best soft cases on the market. It's obvious that I'm not going to throw my guitar out the window like the guy in that video, but I want something really protective.

Thoughts? Any suggestions on case brands to take the guitar away from home in the wilderness?

Last edited:
I envy anyone who gets a private stock for camper trips. The private stock cases are so nice, I’d hate to bang it up, much less the guitar inside!

The soft cases made by Mono are better than most, and really shouldn’t be compared to the average “soft case.” I’ve used a Mono Dual case to carry two guitars to gigs for several years and it’s been roadworthy. I wouldn’t want to stack heavy things on them, but wouldn’t do that to my guitars in anything short of an ATA flight case. But for normal “on top of things in the trailer” service, it’s been great.

On a few recent jams, I’ve taken my HB in the stock case which, of course, keeps it completely protected. One thing I don’t prefer about the formed case used on the HB and HB II is the small accessory compartment compared to the standard rectangular case. That’s another place the Mono excels.

It wouldn’t hurt your cause to have a Mono, at the price. You won’t lack anything with the PRS case, but the Mono is handy.

Last edited:
I envy anyone who gets a private stock for camper trips. The private stock cases are so nice, I’d hate to bang it up, much less the guitar inside!
Well, we are on this earth for a very limited time. I'm 27, the average life expectation of a man in Italy is 83. So, on average, I've about 56 years left to live.
If I have to think about not scratching my guitar, its case or my car, it means that I'm not living well.

:) Buddy, do not envy those who fully enjoy something expensive, rather, pity those who make expensive purchases (like Rolex and PrivateStock PRS) and then put them in the bank/case for 30 years for fear of someone stealing them/for fear of scratching them. :)

Well, we are on this earth for a very limited time. I'm 27, the average life expectation of a man in Italy is 83. So, on average, I've about 56 years left to live.
If I have to think about not scratching my guitar, its case or my car, it means that I'm not living well.

:) Buddy, do not envy those who fully enjoy something expensive, rather, pity those who make expensive purchases (like Rolex and PrivateStock PRS) and then put them in the bank/case for 30 years for fear of someone stealing them/for fear of scratching them. :)
I appreciate the insights, and agree! I have some awesome playing, albeit less expensive, guitars for camping and such. I don’t begrudge others any luxury, and I can happily envy the opportunity they’ve been fortunate enough to enjoy! More power to you, my friend! I gig my most expensive guitar, but it’s a third of a PS build (interestingly, a 594 HB II as well). I don’t own a guitar I don’t play! Gigging paid for them all, so it’s a full circle.

so can I rest assured? will the hard case by PRS give the guitar enough protection?

More than enough. You can rest easy.

Absolutely.
I’ve traveled with a hollowbody in the shaped case it came in for 10 years.
As a bonus, it is much lighter than the notoriously heavy rectangle.

As someone who camps frequently, there are few things more annoying at night than the guy who brought his guitar. It’s an awesome way to punish people for wanting to get away from things for a bit.

A jug band did set up on the hill behind my site many years ago, and played for about half an hour. The novelty of that was pretty cool!

As someone who camps frequently, there are few things more annoying at night than the guy who brought his guitar. It’s an awesome way to punish people for wanting to get away from things for a bit

e53d7f8067067a51029cde8260094ff5867b10ab6676b1d493c8dd8d23c4571b.jpg

No, it’s making an active decision that your desires outweigh those of all of the people around you. Imposing your wants on others. It’s simple selfishness.

I know English isn't your first language, so I'll try to be helpful. "Karen" is a term for those who constantly want to complain to management over perceived slights. The "boomer" that you edited out wasn't quite right, either. Age isn't a factor in being considerate of others.

It's not hard to be thoughtful of other people, or to try to be a kind person.

I know English isn't your first language, so I'll try to be helpful. "Karen" is a term for those who constantly want to complain to management over perceived slights. The "boomer" that you edited out wasn't quite right, either.
Actually I know very well what "Karen" means in English, and I think it's much more appropriate than "boomer" in your case (which is why I edited my post).
Precisely, Kansas prof. H. S. Woods said a Karen's defining characteristics are "entitlement, selfishness or desire to complain", and that a Karen "demands the world exist according to her standards". Also R. C. Lewis agrees, saying that a Karen "is moving through the world prepared to fight faceless conglomerate of people".

That's exactly what you did: you entered a thread where I ask for suggestions on which case to buy for my guitar, nothing less, nothing more.
And you started complaining about people taking their guitar on vacation (off topic, which has absolutely nothing to do with my thread).
I replied using an extremely quiet (and a bit funny) meme, telling you that that's just your opinion. I thought the conversation was closed but, again, here you are making noise assuming that your opinion is law, reiterating how I should lead my life based on your thought (again, that no one has asked you and that no one cares).

How many other comments will you continue to disturb? Take an example from everyone else who has commented constructively or walk away. Peace.

As someone who camps frequently, there are few things more annoying at night than the guy who brought his guitar. It’s an awesome way to punish people for wanting to get away from things for a bit.

I don't get to camp near as often as I used to or would like to, but I always bring an acoustic guitar. I have a dedicated camping guitar that I keep strung up in Nashville tuning in between camping trips. I've never had anyone complain, I often have people join me or come up and want to listen, and I've frequently been annoyed by people blaring loud radios late into the night. My guitar certainly can't be heard at the level and distance a boombox can. I gotta agree with the OP on this one, and I am a boomer.

OP, I'd probably be more inclined to use the soft case, just for ease of use and to avoid scuffing up the hard case, but the hard case will certainly do the job.

Got to second the camp-players here. Never been anywhere camping where getting out a guitar didn’t draw people and start spontaneous sing-alongs. I understand there are people who go camping to get away from all but the sounds of nature. When that’s my goal I don’t go where most people camp. But, even there, a guitar is as musical as the birds and wind.

Music is in nature, and nature in music.

Back