Neck for smaller hands - opinions welcome

tonyvenn01

I’m thinking of ordering a Private Stock. I have smaller hands.

I own the slightly narrower “Pattern Regular” neck. It is amazing and feels good. I think it’s their best neck.

My question is: scale length AND frets

My idea is: the Santana Singlecut SE as a starting point….24 frets, 24.5 scale length BUT changing the profile from WF to Regular.

In theory, this would be a perfect neck for a smaller hand size….

Am I missing anything in this?

Thoughts? Opinions?

I’m thinking of ordering a Private Stock. I have smaller hands.

I own the slightly narrower “Pattern Regular” neck. It is amazing and feels good. I think it’s their best neck.

My question is: scale length AND frets

My idea is: the Santana Singlecut SE as a starting point….24 frets, 24.5 scale length BUT changing the profile from WF to Regular.

In theory, this would be a perfect neck for a smaller hand size….

Am I missing anything in this?

Thoughts? Opinions?
I don’t have large hands either, but I really like the Pattern Vintage neck on my McCarty 594 SE.

I think the Santana scale works best for smaller hands , now the question is will PS produce a custom profile ?

Excellent question

The cynic in me says “probably not”

The optimist in me says “they will, but expect to pay at least 12 grand for one neck”

I have small hands with thick sausage fingers - the worst combo - I can't reach the strings/frets as easily, and my fingers interfere. I have the least-useful hands for playing guitar or piano. I simply cannot stretch, physically, for some of the cool chord shapes that people like John Mayer or Joe Perry use.

That being said, I've got PRSi that have every neck profile (except the specific Tremonti and DG necks - I think they are a bit different, but within the overall envelope of dimensions). I have Wide Thins, Wide Fats, Regular (Pattern Regular), Pattern Vintage, JM, 7-string width. (I'd like to try the new necks on the NF 53 and MKs...)

I have PRSi in most/every scale length - 24.5", 24.594", 25", 25.25", 25.5", 26.5", 27.7". Is there anything else? (We also have PRS basses, so don't go suggesting those, lol.)

I generally don't have an issue playing any of them. When I first got the Pattern Vintage necks on my 594s I found them super easy to play - they might actually be easier for me than Wide fat and Wide thin (or whatever they are called now - Pattern and Pattern Wide?).

If you can, I suggest you go play the heck out of a bunch of PRSi - somewhere they have a good selection - and maybe see if anything special jumps out at you?

I'm not convinced the 24.5" scale feels that much different for small vs larger hands. I don't really notice a difference in playability, even though it does "feel" different. I switch between my P245SH and SCHBII, which have the same body shape & # of frets, but the different scale lengths (245" and 25"), and am not thrown for a curve.

I'm sure @11top will chime in and say 24.5" all the way, though - I believe it is his favorite scale length.

This is EXACTLY what I’m looking for!

Thanks for replying.

I’m in the same boat…so my thought process was “Regular” narrows the nut/width of the fingerboard…and I like that feeling. Then, by reducing the scale and adding frets (like the Santana) it would allow my sausage fingers to chord easier and bend easier due to less tension.

So, perhaps a 594 neck with 24 frets would work? I still think a Regular will help with that 1/32 taken off the width

THANK YOU!!!!

So, perhaps a 594 neck with 24 frets would work? I still think a Regular will help with that 1/32 taken off the width
Only you can answer that question, really.

See what happens when you build up the PS spec - it might be cheaper to go one way vs the other, and that might be enough to sway you to try.

Small hands and short fingers , I prefer rounder necks as I don't have to bend my fingers a more extreme angle, that said I'm fine with all PRS necks with the Pattern Thin my least favorite the Pattern Vintage is a bit to big.
Also prefer 25" and longer scales but I am liking the 24.5" on my DC22

In Order
1) Silver Sky
1A) Pattern ( Wide fat )
1B) DGT, Pattern Regular , Fiore

I'm surprised at the recommendation of the pattern vintage. I have regular sized hands and it's not a profile I get along with. Only PRS profile I don't. I don't mind a lil' on chunky side either. I'd suggest going and playing a few. That's really the only way to know.

I'm surprised at the recommendation of the pattern vintage. I have regular sized hands and it's not a profile I get along with. Only PRS profile I don't. I don't mind a lil' on chunky side either. I'd suggest going and playing a few. That's really the only way to know.
I feel the exact same way.

Neck size/shape is such a personal thing. I have large palms with fingers no longer than my wife’s. My fingers are thick with dime-sized finger tips. I’m a terrible guitarist who struggles to get my fingers into the proper spots for chords. Oddly enough, I type somewhere around 80 WPM.

For me, Pattern Regular is my favorite neck profile. Pattern is fine, as is Pattern Vintage. My Silver Sky is a 2021 RW, and it feels pretty good. Pattern Thin gets uncomfortable for my palm after about 20 minutes.

This all surprised me a bit. I thought for sure that the narrower PR neck would be harder for me to play, given that forming chords doesn’t come easily to me. Less room for the fingers and all of that. I’ve never checked to see what the string spacing is like in comparison to other widths.

Scale length isn’t something I actively notice much. I swap between them without much awareness.

If I was thinking about spending a bundle on a PS and hadn’t played necks I was curious about, I‘d buy some used guitars with them. That would let a person spend some significant time trying them, with a relatively low “rental” price.

Just my opinion: It's probably a mistake to ask other folks what works with a given hand size. It's an individual choice and there are lots of factors.

Folks are all over the map on neck sizes and shapes. I know lots of players with smaller hands who love thick necks, and others with very large hands who prefer narrower or thinner necks. It's impossible to predict.

That's why I tend to say 'try them yourself'.

When people suggest that for certain size hands, 'get the such and such neck', I feel they're unaware of an awful lot of individual factors.

For example, It isn't just about the length of palm and fingers - in fact fingers can be long, palms short or vice-versa, merely considering hand size measured from bottom of palm to tip of middle finger is kind of irrelevant!

Hands also come in different widths, different finger spacing from outstretched thumb it to tip of pinky finger, etc., different finger thicknesses, etc. Some folks can stretch their fingers apart very widely, others (like me) can't.

And there's stuff like grip size that gets measured and factored in - often measured when picking out sports gear.

The anatomy of each hand is different. What's comfortable for every individual's playing style is different. For example, do you play with fingers curled or flat? Hook your thumb over the fretboard edge or not? Need to reach for difficult distances to play chords? Do you like widely spaced strings, or find narrow string spacing preferable for picking speed and accuracy? Do you play with a pick, fingers, or both?

I can only use myself as an example.

My hands are somewhere in the medium-to-large continuum, depending on how that's being evaluated. But I can't stretch my fingers out all that widely. Certain chords are uncomfortable to play. That affects the chord voicing I can manage.

As an example of being all over the map, I like the string spacing on the Pattern Regular, it's more like what I learned to play on, which is a factor to consider, too (we sometimes develop picking habits pretty young). I curl my fingers because my main instrument has always been piano, and that's what feels right, because it's the proper technique for piano. Of course, that affects notes I can comfortably and quickly reach when I do that on guitar (one of my session guys who gave me a few lessons tried to get me to play with flatter fingers).

Despite my high regard for the Pattern Regular, I love the feel of the Pattern Vintage. By pure luck, It happens to sit in my hand comfortably. Yet they're very different necks! Go figure.

And I have two with Pattern necks. I've never had a problem with that carve (or the previous wide/fat).

The only way to choose a neck carve for a custom instrument is to sit down and play each for as long as you can. Try different things, different chord voicing, arpeggios, runs, solos, you-name-it.

The dumb mistake I made with my PS acoustic was to pick a 1 3/4" wide 'finger style' neck width. I was more comfortable with my earlier PRS acoustic that had a slightly narrower width, and knew it. But I got all optimistic that I'd switch after all these years to finger style. Never liked it, and went back to a pick. Yeah, pick the neck you know works, instead of the one you think you might like down the road! Doh!

So the wider string spacing bugs me a tiny bit. I have to adjust to it every time I play and warm up. Nonetheless, I love the guitar. I just wish I'd played a bunch before deciding.

I guess that proves things don't have to be perfect - I'm pretty adaptable - but it was certainly an unforced error! ;)

Last edited:
Back