PRS SE Paul's Guitar - Neck Profile

Drock

hello, my first post here! So last week I bought a used PRS SE Paul's Guitar in Faded Blue. In looking at the specs before purchasing, I read that this model has the wide/fat neck profile. So when I received the guitar this week (from Dave's Guitar Shop), I noticed that the neck is much thicker than the wide/fat neck (I have owned a few and have one now for comparison). I have played the pattern vintage neck before - this is much more like that but no way it is a wide/fat neck like listed in the specs. What do you think - did PRS just mess up on this one? The neck feels really good to me, as I like thicker necks. I was just surprised that the specs say wide/fat and there is no way this is that profile. Thanks!

PRS didn’t “mess up.” There is variation in the exact profile of each neck type depending on what factory it was made in, and who did the sanding. That’s kind of a weird use of the term messed up. These are guitars made by human beings, they’re not toasters coming off a conveyor belt.

PRS didn’t “mess up.” There is variation in the exact profile of each neck type depending on what factory it was made in, and who did the sanding. That’s kind of a weird use of the term messed up. These are guitars made by human beings, they’re not toasters coming off a conveyor belt.
Got it - so PRS would have a thickness measurement spec that they use for each of their guitar neck profiles. You're saying that if at the factory a neck is produced outside of that spec, it falls under the "human" factor and out the door it goes. This one is .89 at the 1st fret, .99 at the 12th. Quite a bit bigger than the typical wide/fat profile measurements. I have owned 6 or so PRS guitars with wide/fat neck profiles. They were all pretty much identical in thickness. This one is much thicker and feels more like the pattern vintage profile which is why I thought they might have just been off/out of spec on this one. Good feeling neck, just different. Interested to hear if anyone else has had a similar experience.

I went into buy a SE Pauls guitar. I tried it and it stayed in the store. The sales guy asked me what I thought of it. I replied the neck doesn't suit me. He said yes he thinks that also. He walked away and returned with a SE custom 2408 in the newer colour of faded blue. He placed that in my hands. It is sitting in its stand in my lounge right now. The wide thin neck suits me much better. Now I what to try a SE DGT to see what that neck is like. Could be a bit of a wait here in Australia for the stock to arrive. I would like a Paul's with the high end bridge, fantastic birds and slightly different wiring, however can sadly never happen now,

I have a couple of each neck profile in the various levels. They do all vary in my hands, but they’re all comfortable. I have played a few PRS that I didn’t love, but none that I didn’t like. It’s these minute variations that have made the hunt fun, and led me to these 2 soapies in my avatar as my favorites.

Back