Best Hardcase for a PrivateStock PRS

It's awfully hard to bring a piano to sing Kumbaya around a campfire.

Not that I haven't tried...
Was this you?

a1a5ea13308c31b961ffb1365378e753.jpg

If after you receive your PS and case, you decide you want more protection, I would recommend the Gator Titan (about $300 and built to survive any camping whether you will ever encounter) or a Calton (start at about $1200 I believe). Not as light as a soft case, but if closed, either one of those cases will protect your guitar (from water, humidity, some bears, etc.) better than anything out there that I am aware of!

Considering my "camping" guitar (a Carlos from Korea - NOT Santana) was purchased for $20, and came with a Martin hardshell case, I would not need that, but have considered getting a Calton for my PS which should get here in about 3 weeks!!! I have 3 Gator Titans for other gits. I am always going to take a guitar when I go camping, but I guess I don't have the balls to take a PS into the wilderness ;~)) Come to think of it, I have no need for my Wood Library or Core guitars in the wilderness, or my Martin J-40 or D12-20, my cheapo is fine for campfire strums IMO! Seems like it would be equivalent to having Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1971 with a frozen pizza. Just speaking for myself of course (hope it was not to Karen).

Rock that PS until the trees tremble!! We definitely need to see pix of that (Private Stock campfire sing along)!!!

Happy pickin'!
MW

Hi MW, first of all thanks for your really helpful reply!
I would recommend the Gator Titan (about $300 and built to survive any camping whether you will ever encounter) or a Calton (start at about $1200 I believe). Not as light as a soft case, but if closed, either one of those cases will protect your guitar (from water, humidity, some bears, etc.) better than anything out there that I am aware of!
I took a look at both of the case brands you suggested me (I didn't know either of them, but I found Hoffee too!).
No doubt the Caltons and the Hoffee are waaaaay beautiful (being able to customize the color by making the case black on the outside and with gold fur on the inside by pairing it with my Black-Gold PRS would be reeeeeaaally cool. Plus, I love the aesthetics of instrument-shaped cases and I find the rectangular ones horrible, LOL when I carry the rectangular ones around in the city there is always a lot of people who look at me dazed and surely think "what the hell will be in there?").

BUT the Caltons, as far as I can see, have a big problem: on their website I read about "resistance to humidity" but I haven't found anything about "waterproofing", which instead I find explicitly written on the Gator Titan website ("military grade waterproofing") or on the Hoffee website (“Case top and bottom join at a tight fitting, tongue-and-groove, water-resistant seal”).

Waterproofing is something that I take very seriously because - while in this thread people are focusing a lot on the topic of "camping", which is something I do occasionally - I would still use A LOT the guitar to gig around in the clubs and I would like to prevent some stormy nights from ruining my instrument.
In this sense, even the Private Stock leaves me perplexed: I do not think it's waterproof (and in any case it's made of real leather and in the long run it would be ruined).

Anyway, I emailed Calton for some clarification. I really hope they reassure me about waterproofing because they managed to make me fall in love with their cases, but my guitar is more important than a case, so if their explanations don't convince me, I think I'll buy the Hoffee or the Gator Titan, despite being rectangular (what a nuisance!).

I am always going to take a guitar when I go camping, but I guess I don't have the balls to take a PS into the wilderness ;~)) Come to think of it, I have no need for my Wood Library or Core guitars in the wilderness, or my Martin J-40 or D12-20, my cheapo is fine for campfire strums IMO! Seems like it would be equivalent to having Chateau Lafite Rothschild 1971 with a frozen pizza. Just speaking for myself of course (hope it was not to Karen)
Buddy I know well that a $50 guitar is enough on a campsite, but I'm just a one electric guitar guy (PRS PS McCarty 594 HB II), one acoustic guitar guy (Lowden F35), one dog guy (an Akita), one car guy (Ford Mustang), one watch guy (Breguet), one woman guy, etc. etc. :D
That's how I am, I believe in individual loves. :) And above all, I find it pointless to buy $50 guitars that I would rarely use because I would end up hating it.

Last edited:
Playing a PRS Private Stock at a gig.... Hmmmmm....
Buy a very high end generic gig bag so that you don't advertise that you have a PS, or even a PRS for that matter and keep it slung over your shoulder at all times so it doesn't get stolen.

I have a Calton case and a Hoffee case. While I wouldn’t take the guitars they are meant for camping, I would be comfortable with either case.

The Hoffee is spectacular. It’s a bit bulky, but it is super light and I’ll bet I could throw it in the lake and it would stay dry inside.

The Calton is rock solid and I don’t think incidental moisture is going to bother it. I wouldn’t leave it out in a hard rain.

I won’t take a PS camping, more likely a BTO Taylor GC for its compactness, and because I have a spare.

The Hoffee I’ll bet I could throw it in the lake and it would stay dry inside.

The Calton I wouldn’t leave it out in a hard rain.

yay, I’ve read on the Hoffee website “Case top and bottom join at a tight fitting, tongue-and-groove, water-resistant seal”.
Instead, Calton just doesn't say anything like that.

ok just got a reply from Calton: "Our cases are sealed up nicely with our tongue and groove seal that is around the case, the only spot there are gaps in this trim is where the latch is placed. The only way for water to get in would be to submerge and hold the case underwater".
I am not very well versed in English but IMHO it seems that their first sentence is in contrast with the second.

Moreover it seems to me way different from the Hoffee sentence: "Case top and bottom join at a tight fitting, tongue-and-groove, water-resistant seal”.
Opinions?

ok just got a reply from Calton: "Our cases are sealed up nicely with our tongue and groove seal that is around the case, the only spot there are gaps in this trim is where the latch is placed. The only way for water to get in would be to submerge and hold the case underwater".
I am not very well versed in English but IMHO it seems that their first sentence is in contrast with the second.

Moreover it seems to me way different from the Hoffee sentence: "Case top and bottom join at a tight fitting, tongue-and-groove, water-resistant seal”.
Opinions?
Hoffee’s stronger wording is consistent with what my eyes tell me.
I’m sticking with what I said earlier.

That said, Calton cases are more than good enough for what the vast majority of players would ever do with it. I would use it at a camp site I drove to, probably not at a campsite I paddled to...but I’m probably not going to add a guitar to a portage route and any water camping I do involves portages.

I envy anyone who gets a private stock for camper trips. The private stock cases are so nice, I’d hate to bang it up, much less the guitar inside!

Agree on all counts. I wouldn't take a private stock to the campgrounds (but I have 5 other PRS guitars I could take, so ...) And if I bought a soft case it would be so I didn't mark up a beautiful PS case, and not to add protection. You're losing protection with any other case but a serious flight case.

It's awfully hard to bring a piano to sing Kumbaya around a campfire.

Not that I haven't tried...

That's what Baby Grands are for. Much easier to transport, and take up much less space in the tent.

You could take that... or your accordion, and be the life of any campfire sing-a-long. Put those poor kazoo players in their place!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi MW, first of all thanks for your really helpful reply!

I took a look at both of the case brands you suggested me (I didn't know either of them, but I found Hoffee too!).
No doubt the Caltons and the Hoffee are waaaaay beautiful (being able to customize the color by making the case black on the outside and with gold fur on the inside by pairing it with my Black-Gold PRS would be reeeeeaaally cool. Plus, I love the aesthetics of instrument-shaped cases and I find the rectangular ones horrible, LOL when I carry the rectangular ones around in the city there is always a lot of people who look at me dazed and surely think "what the hell will be in there?").

BUT the Caltons, as far as I can see, have a big problem: on their website I read about "resistance to humidity" but I haven't found anything about "waterproofing", which instead I find explicitly written on the Gator Titan website ("military grade waterproofing") or on the Hoffee website (“Case top and bottom join at a tight fitting, tongue-and-groove, water-resistant seal”).

Waterproofing is something that I take very seriously because - while in this thread people are focusing a lot on the topic of "camping", which is something I do occasionally - I would still use A LOT the guitar to gig around in the clubs and I would like to prevent some stormy nights from ruining my instrument.
In this sense, even the Private Stock leaves me perplexed: I do not think it's waterproof (and in any case it's made of real leather and in the long run it would be ruined).

Anyway, I emailed Calton for some clarification. I really hope they reassure me about waterproofing because they managed to make me fall in love with their cases, but my guitar is more important than a case, so if their explanations don't convince me, I think I'll buy the Hoffee or the Gator Titan, despite being rectangular (what a nuisance!).

Buddy I know well that a $50 guitar is enough on a campsite, but I'm just a one electric guitar guy (PRS PS McCarty 594 HB II), one acoustic guitar guy (Lowden F35), one dog guy (an Akita), one car guy (Ford Mustang), one watch guy (Breguet), one woman guy, etc. etc. :D
That's how I am, I believe in individual loves. :) And above all, I find it pointless to buy $50 guitars that I would rarely use because I would end up hating it.
All good and understood Mr. Superstar! Rock ON!!! Sounds like Calton and Hoffee are not waterproof, only water resistant. Crazy for that price and protection level IMO. Never even thought that they would not be waterproof. Thanks for bringing that up and looking into it!!!

Last edited:
Back