Are they overpriced compared to their relative counterpart brands?

Status
Not open for further replies.
No, just top of the line Les Pauls with tops so fancy that they would make PRSh blush. ( I have no idea what that means but it just sounded good in my head).

Do they have pictures of PRS there?

Actually, sometimes yeah.... You might be surprised at how many Les Paul aficionados also are really into PRS.

And I wasn't saying that Les or Ruger are wrong by the way.... Just that I happen to like reading people's opinions on the subject. Fine with me if the collective opinion is that this sort of thing isn't appropriate.... And hopefully the OP would feel the same way. I quick peek at the few posts he has made gives the impression of somebody who like PRS....

I use to post all of my NGD's of my PRSi over at the official Gibson forum, that is how forum member Sleary became a PRS convert here :D

- PRS are not overpriced compared to comparable guitars of other makers. Especially if you are into fancy wood and paint. Great guitars, fair price.
- PRS has higher build quality and in general better quality control.

I whole heartedly agree with the first point but not necessarily the second. I consider all my instruments perfect 10’s. I can’t point to any of them a say “oh there’s a flaw” or “there is some sloppy workmanship”. If that were the case I would not have bought them.

Personal preferences and opinions, the spice of life!
I think this more or less sums up my opinion on the original question as well.
The PRS guitars I have are not private stock, they're just what came out of the Maryland shop that I found hanging at Guitar Center or other guitar stores. But they are so flawless, so meticulously crafted, they amaze me.
I haven't owned a $10,000 Les Paul. I've played the production Les Pauls out there, as well as USA Fenders. It has been quite a few years since I felt either Gibson or Fender had quality control issues. I can't say "this guitar has sloppy workmanship or is flawed". But my PRS guitars just feel so right and so flawless.
An example: a lot of new Gibsons and Fenders have fretboard edges that feel a little... abrupt... to me. The edges of the fretboards on my PRS guitars are slightly rounded to feel so smooth and comfortable when I'm playing. The binding on the fretboard on one of my McCarty's is even rounded! That's beyond just building a guitar without flaws. That's attention to fine details that a player who's been playing for a few years will notice and appreciate.

That said, I give Fender USA credit for building great guitars and keeping the street prices under $1500, even under $1000 for the Special series.

I'm late to the party, as usual. Aside from believing that PRS guitars are not overpriced, I think I'm like most guys on any of these forums. We spend our lives looking for instruments to make certain sounds. Yes, I've owned the usual suspects. My statement is that whatever you pay, if it makes the sound you've been looking for, and if you feel good when you look at the guitar, it's worth the money. The exception (of course) is my warhorse Mira. It ain't the prettiest girl at the dance, but damn, Ive never played anything that sounds so raw!

As far as QC goes and paying for what you get, every Gibson and Fender I've played in the last few years has been terrible (this was even at stores other than Guitar Center). The fret edges were sharp, fretboards were dry, and they just played bad. I have an early 2000's MIM Fender Toronado other than my Mira and that's one of the best Fenders I've played. I'm a recent PRS convert and I'm just blown away at the whole company model and their quality even on their lower level lines. I just think PRS blows them out of the water at this stage in the game.

Then you haven't been playing the right Gibsons and Fenders...both companies are putting out fine guitars...while I love my PRS...I have also played and acquired some great guitars by other manufacturers...I do believe that PRS is constantly innovating....more so than others....but to knock the others and say all the Gibsons and Fenders you've played recently are terrible makes me question whether or not you played any R9's or C/S when doing your comparisons.

This.

And no. I don't think PRS is overpriced comparatively.

Guitar brands are simply different from one another. It's just a preference, that's all.

Sometimes folks think they need to go looking for faults in what they don't want/have to reinforce their thinking re: what they do want/have.

Preferring PRS doesn't mean one has to dislike other brands. It doesn't mean that other brands aren't as good. Preferring other brands doesn't mean PRS aren't as good. It simply means that one's preferences in guitars work better for that person.

All the "this is overpriced," "this has poor QC," "this is blah blah blah," is merely someone else's opinion, and truly irrelevant to the person who happens to prefer it.

Guitar brands are simply different from one another. It's just a preference, that's all.

Sometimes folks think they need to go looking for faults in what they don't want/have to reinforce their thinking re: what they do want/have.

Preferring PRS doesn't mean one has to dislike other brands. It doesn't mean that other brands aren't as good. Preferring other brands doesn't mean PRS aren't as good. It simply means that one's preferences in guitars work better for that person.

All the "this is overpriced," "this has poor QC," "this is blah blah blah," is merely someone else's opinion, and truly irrelevant to the person who happens to prefer it.

+1

Another +1

The value of any item is what the purchaser is willing to pay for it

For me, that's more about price than value.

Agreed Les … but if you place a high value on something, wouldn't you also be willing to pay more for it than a similar item you value less? ( I'm not trying to pick a fight…merely offering a point/counterpoint)

Then you haven't been playing the right Gibsons and Fenders...both companies are putting out fine guitars...while I love my PRS...I have also played and acquired some great guitars by other manufacturers...I do believe that PRS is constantly innovating....more so than others....but to knock the others and say all the Gibsons and Fenders you've played recently are terrible makes me question whether or not you played any R9's or C/S when doing your comparisons.

...well said. I have a CU24 Artist and love it, but also have an R9 that is truly amazing.

Agreed Les … but if you place a high value on something, wouldn't you also be willing to pay more for it than a similar item you value less? ( I'm not trying to pick a fight…merely offering a point/counterpoint)

Sure! But I also might value something very highly that I got as a gift, or free, or simply found.

Comparing ultra top of the line guitars isn't going to win any arguments. Here's what I see I go into my local GC or similar and ask to try a USA Fender, it really doesn't feel any better to the hand than a Mex Strat. A standard Gib costs say 11 or 12 hundred can sometimes feel worse than an Ephi 4 or 5 hundred dollar Chinese LP. Every PRS I have picked up regardless of model feels like a CS model from the other guys. That's before you start dragging in arguments about quality and finish. face it Fender's and Gibson's quality control sucks unless you want to pay 3 to 4 times the base to get one tweeked for you.

I don't see the point in arguing about things as subjective as this to be honest. Many valid points raised but when buying a guitar there are many things to consider, looks, colour, fit, finish, feel, balance when standing, weight, quality of the sum of parts, unplugged and plugged in tone and price. So one persons idea of a great guitar is more than likely another mans bag of crap. I had a conversation with some guitar playing mates just a few weeks ago when we were rehearsing for a charity gig night. These days I only have 6 guitars, all of which have their place and I'm extremely happy to play. They are a dead plain slightly beat up SG type made by British builder Gordon Smith, a G&L Legacy, a Gibson '57 reissue black beauty, Gibson Pagey Les Paul, PRS ME1 from 2005 and a one off Wayne Guitars T type made for Dave Kilminster. The little SG may not look as sweet as the other but holds its own in terms of playability and sound and is in fact my favourite sounding guitar bar none. The build quality is very solid but nothing like as good as any of the others but then it only cost £200. On the other end of the scale price wise is the ME1, let's just say I could have bought 20+ of those SGs for what it cost but it is pretty much flawless and I do not regret spending my very hard earned on my dream guitar.... It looks classy yet understated with the satin finish, build quality is superb, it plays and feels as sexy as he'll it doesn't sound like the SG does. The point is that to some the SG may offer better value but it comes down to the individuals preferences and budget, but it's all relative to ones earnings. For me they are both great value for different reasons and I wouldn't want to lose either, however my desert island guitar is the ME1 because I can't imagine anything being any better in the whole scheme of things. Sorry for the long winded rumblings but my final observation is that generally you can walk into pretty much any guitar shop and pick up a PRS and they will be consistent in set up, finish and playability.... I can't say the same for some of the other manufacturers. My Gibsons were hard work, I played many and cherry picked the ones I have and they are not finished to the same standard of the PRS, Wayne or G&L for that matter but they are still great guitars IMO. Also bear in mind that nearly all guitars can be set up to your preference and feel great.... Poor build is another story. It's your money so whilst it's cool to have user opinions, don't let others chose your guitars.... Play as many as you can and buy what suits you and not someone else!

No matter how much you spend it's still the same guy with his hand around the neck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back