Anyone Experience "The One" that you passed on and Really Regret?

Rockmark

An number of years back I had the opportunity to get a Vox prototype guitar owned and played by John Lennon and then given to George's tech. It was pretty expensive to me at the time so I passed. Come to find out years later it is now of course priceless. It's all documented by the estate, Vox etc. Oh well.
Then there was one more. The first PRS Dragon 1 I ever saw new in GC. They wanted like 9K for it. Knew nothing hardly of PRS then so passed. Oh Well.

Last edited:
In the mid-80's I picked up a '65 Deluxe for dirt cheap. It was just an old amp, not "vintage" at the time. I was in no situation to use it to its fullest (and didn't really know what I had) so I let it go not long after that. Regrettable, but not the worst thing ever.

What I really wish I'd taken advantage of was cheap Sylvania 6L6GC tubes at $10 a pair(!) at about that same time.

I wish I had my sparkle blue Magnatone Strat copy my mom bought me in 1965; my first electric guitar. Sadly, I don’t even have a pic of it. :(

Steve, have you played the new Magnatone with two speakers? You can order them made with any type of Tolex. My local dealer does it all the time.

There were many guitars that i've played and wished i bought, or had and later sold: that 80's Kramer, the Original Sewell, the Ted...

I have found, however, that there always seems to be something new around the corner.

I’ve made some bad choices but in the end, it’s all evened out.

The biggest SMH moment was probably when I was a teen and went amp shopping with my mom. I chose a brand new Crate half stack over a used Marshall JCM 800, the Crate had more distortion. :rolleyes:

The only thing good I ever had from Crate was a matching pair of the original Blue Voodoo 4x12 cabs. I still have the slant cab with blue covering and the 4 original Celestion Vintage 30 speakers. Still have a friend begging me to sell it to him. That particular cab had The Magik!

I’ve made some bad choices but in the end, it’s all evened out.

The biggest SMH moment was probably when I was a teen and went amp shopping with my mom. I chose a brand new Crate half stack over a used Marshall JCM 800, the Crate had more distortion. :rolleyes:
Been down that road unfortunately

If I had a nickel for every guitar opportunity I passed on at Markie’s place, I could buy a new Private Stock. So many amazing guitars, so many great deals, so many stupid decisions. The Golden Eagle, perny DGT, and proto Signature come to mind the fastest.

With cars, I returned a ‘68 Vette w/ 427 to the seller in the mid ‘80s the next day. I kick myself every time I think about it. Aaarrrggg!!!

The only thing close to that for me wasn't a guitar ... it was an amp. It was about 12 years ago when I was first getting into guitar (started late in life), and I didn't know much yet. On a visit to GC, my 'guy' there showed me a lightly used Trainwreck they just got in marked at $3500, and urged me to grab it. I tried it, but my rookie ears didn't appreciate what I was hearing, so I passed. It sold the next day.

Needless to say, that was a swing and a miss.

The only thing close to that for me wasn't a guitar ... it was an amp. It was about 12 years ago when I was first getting into guitar (started late in life), and I didn't know much yet. On a visit to GC, my 'guy' there showed me a lightly used Trainwreck they just got in marked at $3500, and urged me to grab it. I tried it, but my rookie ears didn't appreciate what I was hearing, so I passed. It sold the next day.

Needless to say, that was a swing and a miss.

Owwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww...!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of all things, a Gibson L-6 in natural. I used to go to a guys record shop weekly to play it, I loved the hideous thing. I must have been 26 fresh out of the Navy and wanted a new guitar. He would call everyone "Golddust". I never ever bought the thing as an LP came my way, but it was one of those, what the heck was I thinking moments...

Back