Favorite childhood years?

There are some fabulous stories here. Guess I'm not the only only who's feeling a moment of pause these days looking back on how life was be it good or bad. Looking back on it all now I really can't complain. Like everyone else I've hit my share of speed bumps along the way and had some very lean years where I really struggled. But I'm glad it all happened and it all worked out. I'm not rich by any means but it's all good. Just a content, retired happy homebody who's trying to get better at guitar!

The other day I was really hit with an overwhelming sense of nostalgia. Back in my full time band days I was sharing an apartment with our soundman and his girlfriend in Walled Lake, Michigan. I was driving on East Lake Drive right next to the lake and I can't accurately describe the feeling that came over me. But I've felt that feeling before when driving down that road. It's kind of a mixture of remembering those days and all the fun we had along with a feeling of "where the hell did the time go?" As said, it was a little overwhelming due to the strength of that feeling.

But I'm glad I have those memories. Life marches on.

There are some fabulous stories here. Guess I'm not the only only who's feeling a moment of pause these days looking back on how life was be it good or bad. Looking back on it all now I really can't complain. Like everyone else I've hit my share of speed bumps along the way and had some very lean years where I really struggled. But I'm glad it all happened and it all worked out. I'm not rich by any means but it's all good. Just a content, retired happy homebody who's trying to get better at guitar!

The other day I was really hit with an overwhelming sense of nostalgia. Back in my full time band days I was sharing an apartment with our soundman and his girlfriend in Walled Lake, Michigan. I was driving on East Lake Drive right next to the lake and I can't accurately describe the feeling that came over me. But I've felt that feeling before when driving down that road. It's kind of a mixture of remembering those days and all the fun we had along with a feeling of "where the hell did the time go?" As said, it was a little overwhelming due to the strength of that feeling.

But I'm glad I have those memories. Life marches on.
I've spent many a day around Walled Lake. My best friend's family had a cottage on the lake. Heck my day camp as a tiny tot took us to Walled Lake for swims.

If you're from the area, you know that the lake was also on the way to Mitch's, if you were coming from Detroit or the northwest suburbs.

Good times!

I've spent many a day around Walled Lake. My best friend's family had a cottage on the lake. Heck my day camp as a tiny tot took us to Walled Lake for swims.

If you're from the area, you know that the lake was also on the way to Mitch's, if you were coming from Detroit or the northwest suburbs.

Good times!
I do remember Mitch's. I used to live at Beachwalk Apartments at 14 Mile and Decker. Lived there from '79 through late '82. Walled Lake is about 1/4 mile west from where I was living. Used to walk down there all the time to hang out at the area they had for the apartment residents. When I first moved there Decker stopped at 14 Mile Road and there was a huge farm right next to our apartment building. It was about a year later when the land was bought and they continued Decker Road through to 13 Mile Road as you now know it. Now there's some sort of medical building that's damn near against the apartment building I was in. Too bad because the view of the farm from my bedroom window and the balcony was nice.

We had some good times back then. Those memories are alive and well in that area and I feel it whenever I'm around there.

At 67 it is wonderful to look back on those days , all were special but spending my High School years in Anchorage, Alaska where my dad started the first Borough fire dept was epic.

I've decided that my favorite childhood years were from ages 0-1. The good part is that I don't remember that time at all. I only know what I've seen in pictures in my baby book.

Couldn't walk, couldn't talk, probably knew nothing of the English or any other language.

The world was most likely a purely sensory experience. There's a certain purity in that.

"You're insane, Les, you had a wonderful childhood."

"I only remember the uncomfortable stuff."

"In the end, maybe you'll remember the good stuff."

"You mean the stuff I Dad Brag about?"

"Actually, I was thinking about sex. You know, the stuff that made you a dad."

"Oh that...well, maybe."

Joy/happiness were MIA in my childhood. I existed with my wits about me.

Sorry for being such a downer.

Last edited:
Back