Favorite childhood years?

Mike J.

I've been in a very reflective mood lately. I'm not trying to be a bummer here, but it's probably because both my parents have passed on, I'm soon to be 69 and find myself saying "where did the time go?" Plus the fact the this world is so flipping crazy these days, it's almost like I'm finding peace in the past. But I know we must forge ahead come hell or high water because we have to.

I mentioned this in another thread and while my childhood was pretty darned good my favorite time was from summer of 1962 to mid summer of 1964, ages 9 through 11. I fondly call the house we were living in at the time "my last stop at just being a kid." There were still some houses that were being built, so my buddies and I asked the carpenters what would we could take. They'd show us and we'd load our wagons up and head off to the local woods to build tree platforms. Had ropes where we'd swing from one tree to the next. Oh, if my mom saw us doing that she would have had a fit! Used to go down the street at one friends house and swam in their pools for hours with not a care in the world. I was in 4th and 5th grade at the time and really enjoyed school back then. Loved the magic of Halloween back then. Couldn't wait for it!

We weren't spoiled by any means and were probably in the "middle of the middle class." We were never bored. I read a lot then, built models with my saved allowance money and loved listening to the local stations on my transistor radio! I thought that was the coolest thing ever!

I was really captivated by black and white TV at the time. To me it seemed like I was looking at a different world. I remember many of the shows back then, some of the early rocket launchings and even remember seeing some of JFK's press conferences. On Sunday nights the Ed Sullivan show was a must for our family. Who of age could ever forget seeing the Beatles for the first time? That's what initially triggered an interest in music. Man, I miss the wonderment of that whole time.

While I remember many moments there's one I remember and don't know why. It was in the summer of '63 and I was riding my bike. It was about 7:30 at night when the sun was behind the trees casting their shadows but there was still plenty of light. I can remember exactly where I was and I remember being outside of myself while looking at myself. It was just one of those perfect moments, but it's something that I couldn't put into words. It was a feeling that came over me of somehow knowing it was a perfect moment. Make sense? To this day I still ask myself why do I remember that one little moment so well? Years later I remember reading something from a man who was a college student in '63. He said "if we knew what laid just around the corner I think we would have made that summer last forever." Maybe that's what I felt at that moment on my bike. Wanting to make that summer last forever.

All right, I could go on and on with memories but I've babbled enough here. Lets hear your stories.

I lived in quite a few places as a kid (enough to attend 8 different schools) and kind of feel each place was my favourite.
First place: I could walk to a farm to play with rabbits, my mom’s church gave me a bag of candy for Easter.
Second place: I got to ride my bike all over the army base, take my little sister to the movies for a dime, buy enough candy for my needs with a couple of empty coke bottles I found
Third place: I got to ride my bike one town north, or two towns south. I got to read everything from the library. Girls wanted to practice their smooch on me.
Fourth place: I arrived in the summer and we had 16 hours of daylight so you could pack a lot into everyday. Neighbours came over with ponies for us to ride. I rode around the country roads on a mini bike and through the fields on a dune buggy.
And so on...

There are always new memories to make and moments to milk every drop of joy out of. Some of you know that it takes some effort to remind myself of that recently, but at the core, that is who I am.

This will surmise it:

And it was morning.
And I found myself mourning,
for a childhood that I thought had disappeared.
I looked out the window,
And I saw a magpie in the rainbow, the rain had gone
I'm not alone, I turned to the mirror,
I saw you, the child, that once loved.
The child before they broke his heart,
Our heart, the heart that I believed was lost.
Hey you, surprised? More than surprised,
To find the answers to the questions,
Were always in your own eyes.
Do you realize that you give it on back to her?
But that would only be retraced in all the problems that you ever knew,
So untrue.
For she's got to carry on with her life,
and you've got to carry on with yours.
So I see it's me, I can do anything
And still the child,
Cause the only thing misplaced was direction
And I found direction.
There is no Childhood's End.
There is no Childhood's End.
Cause' you are my childhood friend.
Cause' you are my childhood friend.
Oh lead me on.
Hey you, you've survived.
Now you've arrived,
To be reborn in the shadow of the magpie.
Now you realize, that you've got to get out of here.
You've found the leading light of destiny,
Burning in the ashes of your memory.
You want to change the world.
You'd resigned yourself to die a broken rebel,
But that was looking backward.
Now you've found the light.
You, the child that once loved,
The child before they broke his heart.
The heart, the heart that I believed was lost
So it's me I see, I can do anything.
I'm still the child.
Cause the only thing misplaced was direction, and I found direction.
There is no childhood's end.
I am your childhood friend.
Oh...lead me on.

Source: LyricFind
Songwriters: Derek William Dick / Ian Mosley / Mark Kelly / Pete Trewavas / Steve Rothery
Childhoods End? lyrics © Sony/ATV Music Publishing LLC

Hmm, If I had to choose my favorite years, probably from five until twelve. I discovered girls around twelve, it was all over except for the crying at that point...innocence has left the chat..kinda deal. But before that I had a blast! I was always outside, riding bikes/minibikes, swinging from the huge Kudzu vines out over a ravine with my neighborhood buddies, playing in the woods, going to the skate park or just sitting in my room when it rained us out, reading, listening to music on headphones and drawing. The list goes on and on.

I am grateful for those times and memories, now more than ever. Everyone tells you to "enjoy it while it while you can kid". Unfortunately, as kids we are ill-equipped to really grasp what that means. Then before you know it, BOOM! you're; in my case your 50's; and you don't even know how you got here. All the while trying to "pump the brakes", and I believe reflecting on the good times, is one way to scrub off some speed...at least mentally anyway.

It still blows my mind how fast time "seems" to fly. But like Mr. Burne said...same as it ever was...same as it ever was....

Last edited:
When I think of it, we had some tough times as a kid, but my memory of being younger is never negative. The 60s and 70s were a special time, and I had many friendships and formative experiences. We made it through literal death and destruction around us, but learned to hold on to the good and let the bad stay in the past. I have a treasure chest of good memories for which I am grateful, and know that even my bad experiences taught me something.

It doesn’t do to dwell much in the past, really. As the lyrics say, the “good old days” weren’t always good, and tomorrow ain’t as bad as it seems. Life is for the living, and I intend to enjoy whatever life remains for me.

I had a great childhood, but would anyone mind if I just skip ahead to college? Because, bands/hippie/substances/sexual revolution.

OK, that was a good memory moment. Thank you for your cooperation. :p

This. The first half of my childhood was in the States and the later half in Greece. But once 18 happened, that's when the good times really began to roll.

As a kid in the late 50s to mid 60s, going down to spend a week with my Grandparents and cousins outside Cincinnati. Going to old Coney Island down by the Ohio River for the amusement park and also to swim in the ginormous pool. Going to the city parks like Ault Park where the cascading water feature was lit with colored lights and bands would play up above. Going down to Fountain Square and up to Mt. Adams. Playing football in the street out in front of my cousins' house and yelling "car" so everyone would step aside. There would be opera at the Cincinnati Zoo, so you would hear an aria then a lion roar. At the zoo there was an eagle in a cage, and the sign said "Donated by Wiedemann Beer" .... my Grandfather looked me in the eye and said "Mark, I helped pay for that damn bird."

As a kid in the late 50s to mid 60s, going down to spend a week with my Grandparents and cousins outside Cincinnati. Going to old Coney Island down by the Ohio River for the amusement park and also to swim in the ginormous pool. Going to the city parks like Ault Park where the cascading water feature was lit with colored lights and bands would play up above. Going down to Fountain Square and up to Mt. Adams. Playing football in the street out in front of my cousins' house and yelling "car" so everyone would step aside. There would be opera at the Cincinnati Zoo, so you would hear an aria then a lion roar. At the zoo there was an eagle in a cage, and the sign said "Donated by Wiedemann Beer" .... my Grandfather looked me in the eye and said "Mark, I helped pay for that damn bird."
Those are such nice memories. They help shape and form who we become as adults.

I feel a nap coming on. Lol

It still blows my mind how fast time "seems" to fly. But like Mr. Burne said...same as it ever was...same as it ever was....

The longer you're on the planet, the shorter any given time interval feels relative to the time span of your consciousness.

At this point, I marvel at how much of this time stuff I've wasted. Could be one reason why I have a sense of urgency about getting all of my creative ideas recorded as fast as I can. I won't run out of ideas, but I will run out of time.

I'm not sayin' there's any mileage in getting all this stuff recorded. There isn't. I just do it for my own amusement.

Back