Anyone Experience "The One" that you passed on and Really Regret?

If I had a nickel for every guitar opportunity I passed on at Markie’s place, I could buy a new Private Stock. So many amazing guitars, so many great deals, so many stupid decisions. The Golden Eagle, perny DGT, and proto Signature come to mind the fastest.

He had some stellar R9s, too. There was an older natural flame top with an amber tint I had to play each visit. Shoulda, coulda, didn’t, gone.

I’ve made some bad choices but in the end, it’s all evened out.

The biggest SMH moment was probably when I was a teen and went amp shopping with my mom. I chose a brand new Crate half stack over a used Marshall JCM 800, the Crate had more distortion. :rolleyes:

Don't beat yourself up over it. JCM 800's are a high dollar maintenance burden for a teenager. In my humble assessment, the majority of Marshall JCM 800 owners aren't happy with them and seek to hot-rod them in order to make them "better". The only reason I own one today is that it was already hot-rodded from the factory and I live practically walking distance from a Marshall dealer/amp repair shop.

I worked in a music store in L.A. back in 1978, and I bought a “used” LP for $300.00...The store passed on it, so it was all legit. Anyway, it had finish checking, and a nicely flamed top, and was in fantastic shape... I knew I could make a little cash on it so I went to a vintage dealer, and sold it for...drum roll...&1000.00...I was stunned that I made that much on it! A few years go by, and I discovered that what I bought that day was a 1959 LP! Boy, talked about bummed!! Yes, I was young and naive once...I learned a big lesson from that!

There have been several for me. I've always heard great things about the Bernie Marsden and Bodia had one for sale. I don't get along so well with singlecuts so I passed. It had ALL the mods done and I kick myself.

Back