Another episode of amp guy vs. modeler guy!

Of course! Because tube amps sound fat!

So what if the drawback is their weight. ;)

Look at this modeler. I ask you, does this modeler even look like a toaster to you? Hell no.

Where's the beef?

There isn't any! There's no "there" there. The epitome of thin tone. I'll take the fat amp and wear a blindfold.
Wal Mart shoppers do have a fat tone I'll give you that. Plus a camel toe which puts her over the top!

This modeler doesn't look like a toaster such as a Kemper. She does have a couple hot things pop out every once in a while.....

I did once, just to have it in my memoirs...
I guess it is kind of like Amsterdam: you got to cross it from your bucket list, but really just as a one time spectator.

I as a dutchman value it as it is: a themepark for tourists.

That being said; if I get across the pond one day, I will definately visit wall mart, as wel as some other very American type of stores ;-). Just for kicks

I bought a Fender Mustang III when they came out. It's a very inexpensive modeling amp that gets great sounds. It even has a 12" Celestion speaker.

I bought it to use it with an acoustic trio I was working with that wanted me to play electric guitar and get a lot of different sounds.

Honestly, I had a great time using it in that context and it did not sound sterile at all.

I left the band after a few months and then never plugged into it again.

Went back to using my old Fender amps.

But the versatility of the Mustang III did cause me to put together a nice pedal board to get some of those sounds.

I wound up copying some of the sounds I was getting from the modeler!

Last edited:
I guess it is kind of like Amsterdam: you got to cross it from your bucket list, but really just as a one time spectator.

I as a dutchman value it as it is: a themepark for tourists.

That being said; if I get across the pond one day, I will definately visit wall mart, as wel as some other very American type of stores ;-). Just for kicks
I was in The Netherlands recording in Hilversum (at Wisseloord Studios), but our hotel was in Amsterdam and we took taxis to the studio. It was a wonderful trip.

We had a lot of work to do, and Wisseloord had a chef and dining room, so we didn't go out to eat much. I wanted to sample more of the local food, but didn't really have the opportunity. We did get to visit the museums, and of course, the other famous "stuff".

Parts of Western Michigan were settled by Dutch people, and when I got to Holland I could see why - the vegetation and look of the terrain reminded me of that area for some reason.

I was in The Netherlands recording in Hilversum (at Wisseloord Studios), but our hotel was in Amsterdam and we took taxis to the studio. It was a wonderful trip.

We had a lot of work to do, and Wisseloord had a chef and dining room, so we didn't go out to eat much. I wanted to sample more of the local food, but didn't really have the opportunity. We did get to visit the museums, and of course, the other famous "stuff".

Parts of Western Michigan were settled by Dutch people, and when I got to Holland I could see why - the vegetation and look of the terrain reminded me of that area for some reason.
Those are well known studios. Lovely you enjoyed it :).

Amsterdam to travellers is different than to us/me. I guess that is the nature of travel. Most likely I will be amazed by what happens in your back yard :). I compare Amsterdam to gems like Brugues or Gent and I see the crazy stuff we allowed to happen. If you've been there, you'd probably know what I mean.

However there is nothing you missed out on not trying our local food, count yourself lucky :p . All our good stuff is either french or scandinavian inspired (I love to cook). If you are by chance in Holland drop me a note ;-).

Amsterdam to travellers is different than to us/me. I guess that is the nature of travel. Most likely I will be amazed by what happens in your back yard :). I compare Amsterdam to gems like Brugues or Gent and I see the crazy stuff we allowed to happen. If you've been there, you'd probably know what I mean.

However there is nothing you missed out on not trying our local food, count yourself lucky :p . All our good stuff is either french or scandinavian inspired (I love to cook). If you are by chance in Holland drop me a note ;-).

I loved Bruges, my first experience in the late 80’s of fries with Mayo from the stalls in the market. Playing trumpet in bars as a teenager.
Such a fun time.

Hahaha. I have no idea, I was under 8 in the eighties.

You’re lucky, it was like someone from Heinz had decided they were gonna make a mayo alternative.

Think butter - margarine or ground coffee - instant (I mean the cheap stuff, not micro ground) or Scottish extra mature cheddar - Monterey Jack (runs and hides) ;)

I have got to say. . .as a newbie on modeling, I still like my tubes. My "modeler" has been mainly used as an effects board in front of my [tube] amp. There is an entire LP that I used it for just that coming out this year. I like the way it allows me to dump a grand or so into a processor and have way more than that worth of pedals.

As far as going direct, I will be working on figuring that out this year. I will have to get back to you guys on that part of it as I am way too green to put forth an informed opinion at this point.

I have got to say. . .as a newbie on modeling, I still like my tubes. My "modeler" has been mainly used as an effects board in front of my [tube] amp. There is an entire LP that I used it for just that coming out this year. I like the way it allows me to dump a grand or so into a processor and have way more than that worth of pedals.

As far as going direct, I will be working on figuring that out this year. I will have to get back to you guys on that part of it as I am way too green to put forth an informed opinion at this point.
I guess we have a lot experience here on the board to share regarding going direct.

It has always amazed me how many PRS players use modellers.

Honestly I had a ball, and loved the Dutch people I met.

At the time I recorded there, Wisseloord was owned by Polygram. I don't know if it still is. I was told it's been remodeled, though the basic acoustics are the same, apparently the decor and lighting details are different.

I was there in the late '90s. One of the reasons I chose the studio over others in Europe was that they had a state-of-the art Sony 32 track DASH digital tape machine, and a Neve VR console, both highly desirable at the time, and of course, terribly expensive. I'm glad I did, because I absolutely loved working there. The rooms sounded great, the engineer was terrific, the gear was in top shape, and...yeah...having a chef and dining room was pretty f'ing cool.

I brought some musicians in from London to work with me on the final tracks (the initial sketches were done here in Detroit). I later did some overdubs at The Record Plant in LA, who also had one of the 32 track Sonys.

Last edited:
it could still go gold, if you find the tracks. time is on your side.
According to some physicists, time does not exist. This poses a significant problem. Not only is the music I'm creating partly based on the assumption of time, I feel naked unless I'm wearing a watch. Time or no time, the world is a lot better off if it sees me dressed.

According to some physicists, time does not exist. This poses a significant problem. Not only is the music I'm creating partly based on the assumption of time, I feel naked unless I'm wearing a watch. Time or no time, the world is a lot better off if it sees me dressed.

i'm an armchair physicist at best, but not having time would make a lot of math easy, and wrong. almost like having two asses.

Back