Another episode of amp guy vs. modeler guy!

I wish somebody would tell my hair that!
My former hair didn't get the message, either. though I started losing it late enough in life that it hardly matters.

Oh wait, there's no 'late'. because there's no 'time'.

"You're late for your reservation, sir. I'm sorry, but we can't seat you."

"I can't be late because there's no such thing as time."

"For us, there is. If time doesn't exist we can't reserve tables for our guests."

"Nonetheless, we have this quantum thing to deal with that the math tells us negates the idea of time. It's apparently illusory."

"I'm sorry sir, but you'll have to show me the math. You can walk over to the blackboard right over there and as soon as the physicist working out the equations is done trying to make the same point you're making, you can show us the math."

"But...you're a hostess at a restaurant. How will you even know if the math is right?"

"Sir, I have a PhD in physics. I'm sure I'll be able to critique your presentation. I became a hostess to meet guys who weren't physics dweebs."

Last edited:
I tend to waffle between being an amp guy and a modeler guy. Right now, I'm a modeler guy because 1) I share walls with neighbors; 2) I'm getting older and it's a lot easier loading in and out for a gig with just the modeler a couple of fiddles and a couple of cables vs. a head, cab, pedalboard, and a couple of fiddles; 3) I'm a tinkerer and a modeler gives me access to a whole lot of tones that I wouldn't be able to access otherwise due to space and budget restrictions.

When I'm amp guy it's because 1) an amp will have slightly superior dynamics; 2) there's just something satisfying about pushing air through a cab and feeling the ground shake under your feet; 3) my amp won't be obsolete in a matter of a couple of years; 4) I don't have option overload with an amp...I'm basically a set it and forget it kind of guy with the exception of very slight adjustments to compensate for different tunings (I tend to pull some of the lows back and boost the highs on my really down tuned fiddles);

Way back in the late 70s and 80s, I had very limited choice. I went from a Yamaha solid state to 100W Marshall. Currently I am in love with my PRS HDRX 20 watter, but I also have plug ins , Fender Tonemaster and a Katana. They all have a purpose. The more choices the better.

Those are well known studios. Lovely you enjoyed it :).

Amsterdam to travellers is different than to us/me. I guess that is the nature of travel. Most likely I will be amazed by what happens in your back yard :). I compare Amsterdam to gems like Brugues or Gent and I see the crazy stuff we allowed to happen. If you've been there, you'd probably know what I mean.

However there is nothing you missed out on not trying our local food, count yourself lucky :p . All our good stuff is either french or scandinavian inspired (I love to cook). If you are by chance in Holland drop me a note ;-).
So if you bring your own amps to Europe, let's say a 60's Fender Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb, can you just plug it into the wall like you would in the USA? Do American made amps work with the voltage and wiring in Europe?

Nope. Different voltages and power outlet type. You need a transformer. We run on 230V.

So if you bring your own amps to Europe, let's say a 60's Fender Deluxe Reverb or Super Reverb, can you just plug it into the wall like you would in the USA? Do American made amps work with the voltage and wiring in Europe?
Not sure if this will help or not...the Fractal units provide an option for either 60 or 50 Hz AC. What I don't know is if EU/AU nations (which, IIRC use 230VAC) can automatically use Fractal units built for the US market. The 50Hz setting is primarily used for cleaning up ambient noise in the circuit produced by different voltage/amperage AC.

If I have time Wednesday, I'll do some research for this forum within the Fractal owner's manual and find out if the units can be plug 'n play with a tweak for 50 Hz, or if they require something else...

Not sure if this will help or not...the Fractal units provide an option for either 60 or 50 Hz AC. What I don't know is if EU/AU nations (which, IIRC use 230VAC) can automatically use Fractal units built for the US market. The 50Hz setting is primarily used for cleaning up ambient noise in the circuit produced by different voltage/amperage AC.

If I have time Wednesday, I'll do some research for this forum within the Fractal owner's manual and find out if the units can be plug 'n play with a tweak for 50 Hz, or if they require something else...
Per the latest Fractal manual:

Input Voltage: 90–264 VAC, 47 – 63 Hz (universal input)

Yeah, but that still does not help wilth the voltage. Usually an amp only has the one power transformer. If I buy an amp in the USofA, I need an external one and there are enough transformers for conversion from 110 to 230v floating around, since it is a common issue with amps. Have seen em for about 100 Euros

I like and have enjoyed both, but I just like a good tube amp a little more. Guess I'm still old-school.

And to be fair.......:cool:

Modeler guy: Tube amps are cool but they don't have the versatility of a modeler.

Amp guy: Holy cow, what's that?

Modeler guy: Oh, that's just the instruction manual

Amp guy: Wow, that thing looks like a War and Peace novel!

Modeler guy: Yeah, its 1072 pages.

Amp guy: So do you have a favorite amp sim yet?

Modeler guy: not yet. I'm only on page 94 and I haven't figured out how to turn it on yet.

Amp guy: wait..what?!

Modeler guy: I've been downloading all of the patches and updates for it for the past 3 weeks and now I'm to the part in the manual where I can begin to hook it up.

Amp guy: that seems like a lot of work. Cant wait to hear it push some air.

Modeler guy: Yeah, thats this other box that has a fan in it to simulate that, just like a tube amp.

Amp guy: whats this other big box?

Modeler guy: thats the other instruction manual on how all the settings work. I should be rockin in the next year or 2......

Amp guy: who are you on the phone with?

Modeler guy: Oh, tech support. I am missing the 20 pin isolating fensor valve to connect to the pedalboard that is on backorder.

All in good fun.....;)

Last edited:
Per the latest Fractal manual:

Input Voltage: 90–264 VAC, 47 – 63 Hz (universal input)

Thanks. The front panel has a variable setting for 50 or 60 Hz.

Yeah, but that still does not help wilth the voltage. Usually an amp only has the one power transformer. If I buy an amp in the USofA, I need an external one and there are enough transformers for conversion from 110 to 230v floating around, since it is a common issue with amps. Have seen em for about 100 Euros

Nothing I've used claiming to handle a range of voltages (like the Fractal, I believe they come with Switched Mode Power Supplies) has ever blown up.....so far :confused:

As for regular amps, buy a step-down or step-up as appropriate.

I'm doubling down... Fractal FM9T will be in next week. Can't wait!

Sometime this week I should be receiving two Neo Creambacks to put in my Mesa Road King II. Love the amp, but with two Altecs in it, you need a lift-gate to get it in the truck. This should slim the beast down to a proper fighting weight. Love my amps.

Yes, I also have an Axe Fx III-T and a bunch of other great amps. They all get along just fine. I know I'm a heretic from both sides of the battle lines, and I like it!

Sometime this week I should be receiving two Neo Creambacks to put in my Mesa Road King II. Love the amp, but with two Altecs in it, you need a lift-gate to get it in the truck. This should slim the beast down to a proper fighting weight. Love my amps.

Yes, I also have an Axe Fx III-T and a bunch of other great amps. They all get along just fine. I know I'm a heretic from both sides of the battle lines, and I like it!
Spy vs Spy in more ways than one! Congrats on the FM9T!!

Th
Nothing I've used claiming to handle a range of up.....so far :confused:

As for regular amps, buy a step-down or step-up as appropriate

Same here, love tubes, love modelling stuff. Have both and play both.

The tiny thing missing from my helix is not being able to roll tubes. I have no idea what tubes were used in the modelling proces. Swapping them in my mesa TA does make a difference and my kemper picks up on it. This is most noticable in amps with a limited number of gain stages. But there is a noticable difference between modern JJs and my NOS mullards in V1. #corksniffery

Th

Same here, love tubes, love modelling stuff. Have both and play both.

The tiny thing missing from my helix is not being able to roll tubes. I have no idea what tubes were used in the modelling proces. Swapping them in my mesa TA does make a difference and my kemper picks up on it. This is most noticable in amps with a limited number of gain stages. But there is a noticable difference between modern JJs and my NOS mullards in V1. #corksniffery
You won’t get any argument here! Several of us are particular on the tubes we use when we have a choice, and most of us prefer some sort of NOS tubes in both pre and power slots. There are good current ones. And I guess there have always been different levels of quality in manufacture, but certain brands have proven musical and reliable over the years.

Back