Another episode of amp guy vs. modeler guy!

If not for modelling solutions, I would not have discovered my preference for the more british flavours, although I was raised musically on more USA based sounds (mesa boogie mark sounds). Still love those, however I came to appreciate the EL84 and EL34 based amps more and more. Not that weird, playing jn church, but I discovered I would also reach for those amps in my time off.

Like some dude on TGP said; it is a great time to be a guitar player. Options are almost limitless

Honestly (don’t be dishonest Steve :rolleyes:), if I were more of a clean tone player, I’d gravitate towards tube amps. But, I’m not and I don’t, because I’m more of a classic rock kinda dude, and my Kemper covers (see what I did there) that well imo.
Honestly (you see what I did here) you've made a great point.

There's a liquidity to clean or semi clean tones on a tube amp that's clearly part of the thrill. As you get into higher gain, it's a more difficult decision as to which one prefers. For me, that comes down to the texture of the distortion, but that is a VERY personal choice.

I've said many times, my gold record-earning son loves the distortion on the digital H9, and I can't stand listening to it. Who's right? Well, the best answer is, "No one's right. It depends what you're going for, and it's personal."

If someone likes the tone of a Kemper, I say more power to him/her/it. It's SO convenient to work with.

If someone likes only the tube stuff, like me, well, there are plenty o' amps on the market.

If you play guitar well, I'm your fan. I don't care all that much what you play through. I just like to kid around.

“Woohpush”? Says the guy with the Dumble. ;) Like a molder…I don’t quite understand how to translate that either. Now I see why the Silver Sky took two years, poor Paul was just trying to make sense of anything he said.:p

Last edited:

“Woohpush”? Says the guy with the Dumble. ;) Like a molder…I don’t quite understand how to translate that either. Now I see why the Silver Sky took two years, poor Paul was just trying to make sense of anything he said.:p
Who can really describe sounds with words, anyway? It's imperfect, and probably woohpush is as good as anything. I mean, define "warm" or "liquid sounding." So anyone working with audio has to just try stuff until they get what they want.

I always say modelers fail in the attack of the note, and I think he was talking about that. The second bit I think he meant that modelers don't track the second and third-order harmonics correctly.

For me, an additional problem is that modelers don't sound juicy. They sound - for want of a better word - dry to me. Also the texture of the distortion seems wrong.

LOL... but he's right!

Tube (top)

Awesome+Funny+People+of+Walmart+In+Weird+Outfits+(4).jpg

I’ve fallen in love with more amps and effects I never tried through using them on my Kemper rig, who would have thought a metal player would want a Morgan or a Vox AC-50? Same with effects - I only ever used one of the same four drive pedals and the same delay in the loop, but I’ve discovered so many of flavors of pedals, comps, etc.

I could never afford (or carry) all of that equipment without my Profiler. My wife was helping me load in one day and made a joke that the Kemper has so many amps in it that she thought it would be heavier ;)
This is exactly how music changes and progresses, sometimes for the good, sometimes for the not so good. I'm personally curious as to why your inclinations as a metal player have sparked an interest in amps like Morgan or AC-50? Are there certain guitarists you've viewed that inspired you? (ex. Josh Smith).

One advantage of a modeler is that the weight constraints vs. a tube amp head/cab are much better for your back than trying to lug a 2x12 or 4x12 to a gig. Many years ago, I used to own twin custom Lonestar heads and 2x12 cabs...they never left my basement because they were too heavy to lug up the stairs each week. Years later, as I joined the open-mic scene, it was necessary to be able to load lighter gear into your vehicle, and not owning a truck or van made it difficult, so my amps were downgraded to either a smaller amp had/cab, or 1x12 combo. The venue didn't require larger amps/cabs; they essentially were overkill and unnecessary.

Honestly (you see what I did here) you've made a great point.

There's a liquidity to clean or semi clean tones on a tube amp that's clearly part of the thrill. As you get into higher gain, it's a more difficult decision as to which one prefers. For me, that comes down to the texture of the distortion, but that is a VERY personal choice.

I've said many times, my gold record-earning son loves the distortion on the digital H9, and I can't stand listening to it. Who's right? Well, the best answer is, "No one's right. It depends what you're going for, and it's personal."

If someone likes the tone of a Kemper, I say more power to him/her/it. It's SO convenient to work with.

If someone likes only the tube stuff, like me, well, there are plenty o' amps on the market.

If you play guitar well, I'm your fan. I don't care all that much what you play through. I just like to kid around.
I have been loving my Princeton, Deluxe Reverb and Vox AC30 profiles for clean tones. Through my 1X12 Weber Silver Bell speaker, single coil pickups like in my Silver Sky sound amazing. The prices of these amps has gone up so high lately. A Fender Princeton is $1299 now. Deluxe Reverb $1399-$1599.

Tube (top)

Awesome+Funny+People+of+Walmart+In+Weird+Outfits+(4).jpg

Of course! Because tube amps sound fat!

So what if the drawback is their weight. ;)
Vs. Modeling

569ab7f203cd1163180125c0d26efd80.jpg

Look at this modeler. I ask you, does this modeler even look like a toaster to you? Hell no.

Where's the beef?

There isn't any! There's no "there" there. The epitome of thin tone. I'll take the fat amp and wear a blindfold.

Last edited:
Back