Another Chance or No?

What’s your take?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Shopping around has its advantages, and having a great, long-term relationship with a dealer has its advantages.

I've only bought guitars from Jack Gretz for over 20 years, beginning long before he opened his own shop. I don't much care if something is available elsewhere, I'm not interested. In fact, I've been contacted by dealers because I expressed interest in a model here, and have told them no thanks.

Jack's a great vendor, and I like the friendship and the service. He knows he's my exclusive guitar vendor, and always gives me a good price. Maybe that's owing to our history, or maybe it's just how Jack rolls, because he gave me good prices long before I was a regular customer.

We're all different. I value service first and foremost. Most price differences don't amount to more than lunch money*. I can skip a lunch for the right guitar/dealer combination.

*I'll admit that sometimes I can get a little spendy on a good lunch!!! ;)

Shopping around has its advantages, and having a great, long-term relationship with a dealer has its advantages.

I've only bought guitars from Jack Gretz for over 20 years, beginning long before he opened his own shop. I don't much care if something is available elsewhere, I'm not interested. In fact, I've been contacted by dealers because I expressed interest in a model here, and have told them no thanks.

Jack's a great vendor, and I like the friendship and the service. He knows he's my exclusive guitar vendor, and always gives me a good price. Maybe that's owing to our history, or maybe it's just how Jack rolls, because he gave me good prices long before I was a regular customer.

We're all different. I value service first and foremost. Most price differences don't amount to more than lunch money*. I can skip a lunch for the right guitar/dealer combination.

*I'll admit that sometimes I can get a little spendy on a good lunch!!! ;)
Jack is great! I bought my very first PRS from him when he was at Magdon (Royal Blue Custom 22 Stoptail with birds). Just picked up one of his 10th anniversary guitars too. Love it!

Jack is great! I bought my very first PRS from him when he was at Magdon (Royal Blue Custom 22 Stoptail with birds). Just picked up one of his 10th anniversary guitars too. Love it!

I love Jack! Great guy!

Two times come to mind when I’ve had something similar happen.

The first was buying a used car at a high-end dealership. I’d test driven it and was negotiating with the salesman over the price. They sold it to another party while we were doing that.

The other was trying to buy a CU24 from a pawn shop. $750 for a mid-2000s that had a Floyd installed on it. Placed the order online. Went to pick it up, and they told me that the fellow who had pawned it picked it up the week before. Oh, and did I know that it should have been a $2k guitar? Uh huh.

I’m thankful that nothing forces me to do business with these people. I won’t. Fool me once…

Do what feels right to you, it's your hand on the rudder, you owe no one anything. If that's how business is done, that's their method. I would get in a twist over handing over any secure personal information though, for an incomplete transaction. As things come back on line, we as consumers are going to get gouged around every corner if we're not discerning enough, it's happening already.

It’s a frustrating experience for sure but the dealer didn’t do anything wrong. You hadn’t paid for the guitar and someone else bought it. Can you imagine how the dealer feels? He can’t really call up the customer that bought it first and say they can’t have it. It’s an impossible situation that unfortunately makes most sense to let the other guy have it bc he paid first(first come first served). No matter what the dealer does someone will be unhappy. Sorry it had to be you OP. Hopefully the dealer will be on the lookout for another one and contact you first. That would be a very reasonable request.

So I’m having an experience a bit like this, but rather a dealer not shipping a guitar in order to protect me.

Guitar Center had a severely underpriced Cu24 listed. New listing, no pics yet. A surprisingly detailed description, however. 59/09 pickups, a red/black fade, case, and case candy. I ordered it on a whim, thinking the worst that can happen is I return it.

They hadn’t shipped it yet, so I called to see what was going on. Turns out they thought it was an SE, and didn’t feel right about shipping an SE priced the way it was. I told them to go ahead and ship it, so they’re going to do that tomorrow.

It’s a 2012 Core, by the serial number. PRS’s great customer service folks verified that for me, and the info I got from PRS matches GC’s description. It was originally sold by Sweetwater, and was one of their “model” guitars for the ones they were selling then. Fun to find 2012 photos of it.

We’ll see what happens.

But man, do his employees get testy if you call to find out if he’s in the shop. I can’t count how many times they’ve hung up on me just for asking, “Jack off today?”

You're the guy who told the high school yearbook photographer your name was Jack Hoff, right?

The reason I ask is that we had Dick Hertz in my class. You two should meet in the masturbatorium. It's just down the hall. When you're there, please give I.P. Daley my regards.

Last edited:
You're the guy who told the high school yearbook photographer your name was Jack Hoff, right?

The reason I ask is that we had Dick Hertz in my class. You two should meet in the masturbatorium. It's just down the hall. When you're there, please give I.P. Daley my regards.

You know Dick Hertz? The guy who co-wrote “Sliding Down The Banister Naked” with Peter Burns?

I swear this is not a joke, but a guy who works at a company I do contracting for is named Dickon! That is his first name. I will not put his last name here as it would be a privacy violation but man, what a name to grow up with. On conference calls, I sometimes have to think about how to avoid saying his name when addressing him!

I was waiting for this one.
Classic.:p:D
One of my work buddies got our then accountant lady to go on the paging system and say there was a call for Mike Hunt.
When we all started ROTFL she asked in frustration "What is so funny about Mike Hunt?". Picture a small Asian lady with the accent...
My stomach hurt.

Last edited:
One of my work buddies got our then accountant lady to go on the paging system and say there was a call for Mike Hunt.
When we all started ROTFL she she asked in frustration "What is so funny about Mike Hunt?". Picture a small Asian lady with the accent...
My stomach hurt.
That is precious! Would have loved to witnessed that one!! Thanks for sharing, still laughing!!!

Back