Amps

Oh. My. God.
I never thought to try that.
Ran some tests and settled on a small strip
of cotton washcloth rolled into a tight cylinder.
It took all the "woofiness" out of my MicroCube.
Thank you.

If you're being serious... I didn't really test anything. The thing was boomy so I knew to try stuffing the port. I just used the first orphaned cotton sock I found, rolled semi-tightly on principle, although I doubt that part made much difference, but it solve the boom and made the amp much better.

I like answering this in the "what amp have you gigged the most" threads at TGP just to make people think I'm a total hack, but I actually had a weekly gig for over 3 years, that I did with my Micro Cube. It was somewhere between 5-30 people in attendance, and I was playing with (always) an un-mic'd singer/acoustic guitar player, and sometimes another singer and banjo player and every once in a while a bass. Room was about 15x30 and no PA, and we didn't need one. After taking my Vibro Champ XD for a month, I realized it was never turned up past 2 on the gain channels or 3 on the cleans, and I just started taking the Micro Cube. Ended up doing probably 125 or more gigs with it. Sometimes if I knew that both the banjo (which are annoyingly loud in this context) and bass player were both going to be there, with 4 instruments and 3 singers, I'd take the Vibro Champ, but almost always used the Micro Cube. Heck, at one point I was almost never even plugging it in. It lasts 24 hours or so on one charge with 6 AA rechargeables, so I could play a month or more worth of those hour long gigs without ever getting the power supply out of the backpack.

And, for you micro amp users, I'll add this. I have a Fender Mustang Mini, and once I hooked it up to a computer and edited the presets, it does sound better than the Roland, and is WAY more versatile with all it's presets and amp models. But in the context of low volume gigs like that, either will do the job just fine.

If you're being serious... I didn't really test anything. The thing was boomy so I knew to try stuffing the port. I just used the first orphaned cotton sock I found, rolled semi-tightly on principle, although I doubt that part made much difference, but it solve the boom and made the amp much better.

I like answering this in the "what amp have you gigged the most" threads at TGP just to make people think I'm a total hack, but I actually had a weekly gig for over 3 years, that I did with my Micro Cube. It was somewhere between 5-30 people in attendance, and I was playing with (always) an un-mic'd singer/acoustic guitar player, and sometimes another singer and banjo player and every once in a while a bass. Room was about 15x30 and no PA, and we didn't need one. After taking my Vibro Champ XD for a month, I realized it was never turned up past 2 on the gain channels or 3 on the cleans, and I just started taking the Micro Cube. Ended up doing probably 125 or more gigs with it. Sometimes if I knew that both the banjo (which are annoyingly loud in this context) and bass player were both going to be there, with 4 instruments and 3 singers, I'd take the Vibro Champ, but almost always used the Micro Cube. Heck, at one point I was almost never even plugging it in. It lasts 24 hours or so on one charge with 6 AA rechargeables, so I could play a month or more worth of those hour long gigs without ever getting the power supply out of the backpack.

And, for you micro amp users, I'll add this. I have a Fender Mustang Mini, and once I hooked it up to a computer and edited the presets, it does sound better than the Roland, and is WAY more versatile with all it's presets and amp models. But in the context of low volume gigs like that, either will do the job just fine.

I am being serious.

I have also played a bunch of gigs with Micro Cubes.
House concerts, bookstores, banjoes, fiddles, no PA. Stuff like that.
I don't own an acoustic guitar but a microcube running on batteries
and an S2 Mira SH will do just fine with acoustic instruments.

I am being serious.

I have also played a bunch of gigs with Micro Cubes.
House concerts, bookstores, banjoes, fiddles, no PA. Stuff like that.
I don't own an acoustic guitar but a microcube running on batteries
and an S2 Mira SH will do just fine with acoustic instruments.

I really thought I was unique in having MANY times gigged with a Micro Cube. Guess not. LOL One night a guy in the audience was teasing me because I was playing my Custom 24 and he knew what it was. He said "your case for that PRS costs like 3 times what your amp did. LOL" He did come up afterwards and say "so what do you REALLY play that guitar through?" I showed him pics of the Archon, Mark V, etc.

My preferred favorites?

Rivera M60

I had M60 in cream tolex. Amazing amp but bit to noisy.

Back in the 90's I used to play anything really with obscure distortion pedal but I sticked to Roland Cube (the old version from the 80's). In 2000 I got Roland JC120 but I only had it for 2 years or so as I blown a speaker in it. Then I had Spider Valve with Strymon preamp mod (anyone still remember these?), shifted for Marshall Valvestate + Pod XT. First half of 2010's I was on playing hiatus and then Katana -> M60 -> Orange Rockerverb -> Orange AD30 twin -> Boogie Fillmore

Since I own Fillmore I plan no changes other than getting another amp for wet/dry. Either Lonestar or I give Rift amps a chance

I never noticed except that all three of mine were really noisy with the reverb engaged. The M100 was a 1x12 combo with an EVM12L. That amp was painful to move. I was so glad when Paul Jr hooked me up with a head box and empty 1x12!!

Mine was 2x12 on (i believe) eminence speakers. Also heavy like a tank.

Great amp overall, I wonder what they do newdays. No Rivera to see in UK shops

My current amps:

Marshall amps:

JCM800 2203

JCM800 2204

JCM800 2203ZW

JCM800 2203KK

JCM800 4210

JCM800 1 HEAD

JCM2000 DSL

JCM2000 DSL

JCM2000 DSL1

VINTAGE MODERN 2266

6100LM

6100LE

6100LE

JTM 50

JMP 100

JMP COMBO

JTM 1 HEAD

1959 SUPERLEAD

'73 SUPERBASS

'72 SUPERLEAD

JMP 1 HEAD

JVM 100

JVM 1 HEAD

AFD100

CLASS 5

Fender amps:

59 Fender Bassman

65 Fender Twin Reissue

66 Fender Super Reverb

Fender Super Sonic

Fender Vibro King

Fender Pro Sonic

Fender Rumble 100

Fender 140

Misc amps:

Vox AC30

Dumble Overdrive Special

Bogner Übershall

Bogner Ecstasy

Supro Black Magick Reverb

Gibson Falcon RVT

Gibson Vanguard

Traynor TS15

Diezel Herbert

Hiwatt Hi-gain 50

Kemper

Elevenrack

Mesa amps:

Mesa Dual Rectifier

Mesa Road King

Mesa Mark V

Mesa Mark V 25

Mesa Badlander

Mesa Lonestar

Roland Amps:

JC-120

JC120H

3rd Power amps:

3rd Power HLH100

3rd Power Kitchen Sink

Paul Reed Smith amps:

Archon 100

Archon 100

MT 15-50

Soldano amps:

SLO100

SLO100

Avenger

Peavey amps:

Classic 50

Triple XXX

Diamond amps:

Spitfire 2

Nitrox

Orange amps:

OD15

Micro Terror

Ampeg amps:

SVT II PRO

SVT Classic

Are you sure you didn't miss any? hahahaha

Current amps:
Marshall 6100LM & 2x12 cab
Fender 68 Custom Deluxe Reverb
Orange Micro Terror & 1x12 cab
Boss Waza Air headphones

Desired Amps:
Marshall 2204
Fender "low powered" Twin
Matchless DC-30 (or Vox type thats reliable)

For real!!!

Total Lloyds of London situation, even more so now than a few weeks ago. RIP Mr. Dumble.:(

Scott, He doesn’t need Lloyd’s. He just needs a carrier who gives him “agreed amount” * (at no additional rate) so that he doesn’t have to battle the carrier about the value AFTER the claim has occurred. Agreed value contractually sets the value BEFORE a claim occurs. I’ve posted this info a bunch on this forum. And by the way, this is not a coverage unique in the industry. Any reputable carrier should offer this industry standard (although some don’t want to).

* Not replacement cost.

Last edited:
Back