All about bicycles

And then we waited for UPS. After a few days they told me the package would be delayed one day. Then at 8:00am of the new delivery date, they told me it would be delayed another day.
But...at 10:17am Mrs made me run to the door to find
BassoBoxes.JPG

You might be used to just picking up a bike at the bike shop. Or maybe popping on wheels and a seat, even a set of bars.
This would take a bit more assembly.
BassoParts.JPG

I collected the necessary tools as I built it up, until I reached a point where I needed a couple of wrenches that I didn't have.
BassoPartialBuild.JPG

After a trip to the bike shop, I carried on...until
BassoBuiltSun.JPG

If you haven't kept up on such things, road cassettes can be really big now.
BassoCassette.JPG

I have wireless 2x12 on the bike for good flat sprints and big climbs.

And then a test ride. A scoot around the neighbourhood, just in case I needed to adjust something. I'll move the seat a bit further back. I may lower the seat angle for my TTs.
PBassoCorner.JPG

And then we waited for UPS. After a few days they told me the package would be delayed one day. Then at 8:00am of the new delivery date, they told me it would be delayed another day.
But...at 10:17am Mrs made me run to the door to find
BassoBoxes.JPG

You might be used to just picking up a bike at the bike shop. Or maybe popping on wheels and a seat, even a set of bars.
This would take a bit more assembly.
BassoParts.JPG

I collected the necessary tools as I built it up, until I reached a point where I needed a couple of wrenches that I didn't have.
BassoPartialBuild.JPG

After a trip to the bike shop, I carried on...until
BassoBuiltSun.JPG

If you haven't kept up on such things, road cassettes can be really big now.
BassoCassette.JPG

I have wireless 2x12 on the bike for good flat sprints and big climbs.

And then a test ride. A scoot around the neighbourhood, just in case I needed to adjust something. I'll move the seat a bit further back. I may lower the seat angle for my TTs.
PBassoCorner.JPG
That's killer! Of course, I especially love the shoes. I'd wear them with my Purple Hazel Cu22!

No but a Lauf fork was an option. I gave it serious consideration but decided to keep it rigid front and rear.

Can’t wait to see photos of your new ride.

Got it last Friday. About 150 on it since then. Cindy completed the Leadville virtual challenge last week (she was supposed to race her 8th Leadville 100 this weekend), so we went easy since she gained over 10k elevation in the last 3 days of the week.

We switched bikes on a really rough road with cattle grates last Sunday, I rode my bike out, and her tarmac back. Wow, what a difference, didn't even notice how rough the road was on the Giant, beat the crap out of me on her bike. So, I sold my road bike today... for 300 less than I paid new 2 years ago, covid is crazy.

I need the zero offset seat post to get the fit exact, should be here in a few weeks, but super happy with it, and only 1lb heavier than my Emonda. I might make a few changes, but really happy as is.

sNdgurX.jpg

nghYbdS.jpg

Got it last Friday. About 150 on it since then. Cindy completed the Leadville virtual challenge last week (she was supposed to race her 8th Leadville 100 this weekend), so we went easy since she gained over 10k elevation in the last 3 days of the week.

We switched bikes on a really rough road with cattle grates last Sunday, I rode my bike out, and her tarmac back. Wow, what a difference, didn't even notice how rough the road was on the Giant, beat the crap out of me on her bike. So, I sold my road bike today... for 300 less than I paid new 2 years ago, covid is crazy.

I need the zero offset seat post to get the fit exact, should be here in a few weeks, but super happy with it, and only 1lb heavier than my Emonda. I might make a few changes, but really happy as is.

sNdgurX.jpg

nghYbdS.jpg

What size bar do you use?

What size bar do you use?

I'll have to measure it. They're the stock Giant Defuse bars. They are designed to flex to absorb bumps, but it doesn't feel like the bars are moving/flexing. Very comfy, they're wider hood-hood than the bars on my Trek. The bars have a slight flare out in the drops, super stable on the drops on these.

I got tired of the creaking in my bottom bracket and finally pulled-it apart, cleaned it, then reassembled with some fresh Ti-Prep. Last application was probably 8 years ago so it was time. I also cleaned bottom bracket area with some Scotch Brite while the crankset was off the bike. A quiet drive-train is such a treat.

IMG_7121-X3.jpg

Today's grocery run was... "more". $200 worth.
Required some strategic packing to be sure, and definitely needed the trunk bag space (not expanded).
The load was just as easy to handle as last time, no increase in perceived weight.
When I re-attached the rack I failed to notice that the rear bracket frame mount was too close to the rear tire AFTER I packed everything. ACK!
Fun raising the rack as a whole with the additional weight...
Rookie mistake number 3.
This load was just about all the trunk bag/panniers/backpack can handle. Now I know. I could expand the trunk bag with the zipper to get a very small amount more, but...
Screwing up and getting even more would require bags slung over the handlebars, and I hate that.

Oh... and it was HOT out.

I have a GT Avalanche and a Marin Bobcat Trail. Both need work and it's a bit cold here In New Zealand ATM. Spring hasn't quite sprung, but at least it's getting warmer. I plan on hitting the trails on the bikes and long boarding the streets this Summer.

One of my preferred charities is The Ride to Conquer Cancer. I've done the ride 4 times in the past and was signed up to do it again this year. We all know what happened to these fund raisers.
So...on the original ride dates, I did back to back days of 100+km. Then the Ride set last Saturday as a Virtual ride date, asking people to get out and do their own ride. I signed up to do The Hammer, meaning a minimum of 100 miles. The Hammer was to be an optional, longer ride for those who don't think 100km two days in a row is enough exercise. Oh...The Hammer goes up and down the escarpment that the Niagara Falls is on.
Saturday was forecast to be unpleasant weather so, I went to do my ride on Wednesday.
I left early so I wouldn't be time constrained.
VRTCCSunrise.JPG

Luckily, I had some old sunglasses to go with my gold helmet - a reward for 5 years on the Ride.
VRTCCGoldHelmet.JPG

It isn't especially easy to eat on this bike, but I had a lot of lakeshore so paused at about 45km for a snack.
VRTCCBassoLake.JPG

After 65km along the lake, I was ready for breakfast. Normally the Ride has aid stations, but I was going to be self supported.
I stashed a cooler at a place that was handy to visit from time to time. The Garmin spent the first 40km in my bike bag charging. My phone got the same treatment later in the day. I originally bought the micro-start when one of my motorcycles had battery issues.
VRTCCStash.JPG

After breakfast, I went to climb the moraine. It was much closer than the escarpment. As happens when nobody scouts out a route for you, you might have to change your plans.
VRTCCRoadClosed.JPG

Not really a problem because I know these roads fairly well. I just had to take a road with steeper hills.
After lunch, I cruised through a couple of the little lake towns.
VRTCCBassoMail.JPG

I did a few extra kilometers, just in case my metric conversion was off and finished the day at 164km.

It was a good day for a long ride. Temperature started at 10C and finished at 20C. Light winds and a bit of overcast to minimize the sunburn.

Back