All about bicycles

But then, after I did The Hammer, the Ride gave me an ambassador jersey.
I felt I should represent the jersey and went back out on Saturday. Since I had completed the big ride, I thought it would be fun to do one of the designated routes backwards and take some video of other riders.
VRTCCPAmbassador.JPG

So I jumped about 1/4 of the way up the route and went south while riders in my region were going north. I probably met 40 or so riders, mostly in pairs. The biggest group was 7 or 8.
Once I felt I had reached the tail of the group, I looped back and headed to the lake.
VRTCCToLake.JPG

I took a short cut, knowing their route would go further east and then do a counter clockwise loop.
By the time I got to the lake, the riders were pretty widely separated. I met a couple of the fast ones just before reaching the lake.
A bit more video along the lake and then I took a straight shot back north, hoping to catch some riders exiting the lake route.
Usually there are aid stations every 20km or so, with lots of food, bathrooms, etc. This year there was one spot to get some water and an energy bar.
Very popular.
VRTCCAid.JPG

I knew the hardest climb of the day was a few hundred meters ahead - short and steep 70m up at 9% so I shot ahead to get up it before these guys and get a last bit of video.
You don't really know how hard a climb is until you see how spread out a group can get over less than a kilometer. I felt some rain start after the group went by, so called it a day and headed home.

By the way, shoes get all the action here, but how is your sock game?
VRTCCSockGame.JPG

After everybody got home, the streamed ceremonies told us that we had raised $7million. About a third of a normal year, so if you have a bit of spare cash, don't forget that Covid hasn't changed the other needs people have. Below is a screen shot from the closing ceremonies. Upper right is me shooting past the aid station.
VRTCCPGiroCropped.PNG

But then, after I did The Hammer, the Ride gave me an ambassador jersey.
I felt I should represent the jersey and went back out on Saturday. Since I had completed the big ride, I thought it would be fun to do one of the designated routes backwards and take some video of other riders.
VRTCCPAmbassador.JPG

So I jumped about 1/4 of the way up the route and went south while riders in my region were going north. I probably met 40 or so riders, mostly in pairs. The biggest group was 7 or 8.
Once I felt I had reached the tail of the group, I looped back and headed to the lake.
VRTCCToLake.JPG

I took a short cut, knowing their route would go further east and then do a counter clockwise loop.
By the time I got to the lake, the riders were pretty widely separated. I met a couple of the fast ones just before reaching the lake.
A bit more video along the lake and then I took a straight shot back north, hoping to catch some riders exiting the lake route.
Usually there are aid stations every 20km or so, with lots of food, bathrooms, etc. This year there was one spot to get some water and an energy bar.
Very popular.
VRTCCAid.JPG

I knew the hardest climb of the day was a few hundred meters ahead - short and steep 70m up at 9% so I shot ahead to get up it before these guys and get a last bit of video.
You don't really know how hard a climb is until you see how spread out a group can get over less than a kilometer. I felt some rain start after the group went by, so called it a day and headed home.

By the way, shoes get all the action here, but how is your sock game?
VRTCCSockGame.JPG

After everybody got home, the streamed ceremonies told us that we had raised $7million. About a third of a normal year, so if you have a bit of spare cash, don't forget that Covid hasn't changed the other needs people have. Below is a screen shot from the closing ceremonies. Upper right is me shooting past the aid station.
VRTCCPGiroCropped.PNG
A great day, for sure! Are you doing anything for the Tour now?

A great day, for sure! Are you doing anything for the Tour now?
I am not this year.
On the original Tour dates a local guy organized a virtual 21 rides in 23 days, so I did that. The Tour is strange this year, partly the wrong time, partly no coverage here - other than spoilers on social media.

I am not this year.
On the original Tour dates a local guy organized a virtual 21 rides in 23 days, so I did that. The Tour is strange this year, partly the wrong time, partly no coverage here - other than spoilers on social media.
Seriously, no coverage? I’m getting the normal 3.5 hours every morning.

We have bikes popping up in quite a few threads, so we must have something to talk about.

Im still running mostly i have a specialized hard rock just a couple years old.

Going to do NYC full marathon in 2022 hope to go under 4 at age 66 but time will tell.

Will go see Tour in france some year and ride some of it maybe. Theres some pricey vip packages not sure.

Around here there are some really nice options for long bike rides in the metroparks.

No skinny tire bikes for me since i stopped doing triathlons.

Nobody here picked it up.
I can follow online, but it isn’t the same as seeing it.

Wait so wherever you are you cannot use NBC sports app and pay 100 bucks for a one year cycling pass?

There has to be some kind of non free video available ... has to be ...

Wait so wherever you are you cannot use NBC sports app and pay 100 bucks for a one year cycling pass?

There has to be some kind of non free video available ... has to be ...
Many cross border sites are blocked.
A few years ago, I pulled a French feed. One of our sports networks carried it the last couple of years, but the winter sports playing now trump cycling, I guess.

You can get a
Many cross border sites are blocked.
A few years ago, I pulled a French feed. One of our sports networks carried it the last couple of years, but the winter sports playing now trump cycling, I guess.[/QUOTE

You can get a VPN, that way you can hide your region and sign up for any of the paid services.

Road bike gear questions for the road riders here. I've been away from new technology for 15 years.

My current bike is a 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, carbon fiber with Shimano 105s. I've had it for 15 years, and I had my LBS rebuild most of the moving parts about 5 years ago. I have no complaints, but I'm getting GAS for a new bike. Just like guitar GAS. I ride 750-1000 miles a year.

Looking very hard at another Roubaix. I'm 62 and I need shock absorption from the CF frame and the new FutureSport front stem.

- New road bikes in that category seem to all have hydraulic disc brakes, instead of rim brakes.
Well, my regular ride is a 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, with the triple chainring for the granny gear up front. Kind of a lot of money at the time.

It was my first-ever carbon-fiber frame, and I instantly fell in love with it. Rides like a Cadillac, drives like a BMW. Never going back to steel or aluminum. Back when I clocked my rides, it delivered 1:00 to 1:30 improvements in measured times around a 10-mile circuit. Now I'm an old guy and I've turned off the clock. Just here to enjoy the ride.

I've ridden it now for 15 years, about 1000 miles a year, around and around and around a local lake's bike path. I've worn out a full set of gears in back, chains, cables, brakes, and countless tires. My awesome drive power - not - had worn out the bottom bracket, so that was replaced too.

Every time I think of replacing it, I'm reminded: I replaced all the wearables just two years ago, to replace it entirely would be a new PRS price, and there are no bikes available this summer anyway!

79fa2a68-a582-465a-bc28-ce85748350b5.png

=K

UPDATE 9/3/30:

Well, I've got GAS now. (Bike GAS. Feels just like guitar-n-amp GAS.) Technology has marched on, in the last 15 years. Q's:

- The new Specialized Roubaix bikes have disc brakes. Are they really better than rim brakes? Are they complicated to maintain?

- Any opinions on the FutureShock front stem shock absorber? That sounds pretty wonderful.

- Is my 15-year-old carbon fiber frame at risk of breaking? Some internet chatter suggests that it may be. I can't afford to wreck. I'm old.

I've been to BikeForums.net already, and it reminds me of TheGearPage.net in that there is a lot of experience, and a lot of arguing. I thought I might get some calmer answers here.

=K

Road bike gear questions for the road riders here. I've been away from new technology for 15 years.

My current bike is a 2005 Specialized Roubaix Elite, carbon fiber with Shimano 105s. I've had it for 15 years, and I had my LBS rebuild most of the moving parts about 5 years ago. I have no complaints, but I'm getting GAS for a new bike. Just like guitar GAS. I ride 750-1000 miles a year.

Looking very hard at another Roubaix. I'm 62 and I need shock absorption from the CF frame and the new FutureSport front stem.

- New road bikes in that category seem to all have hydraulic disc brakes, instead of rim brakes.

UPDATE 9/3/30:

Well, I've got GAS now. (Bike GAS. Feels just like guitar-n-amp GAS.) Technology has marched on, in the last 15 years. Q's:

- The new Specialized Roubaix bikes have disc brakes. Are they really better than rim brakes? Are they complicated to maintain?

- Any opinions on the FutureShock front stem shock absorber? That sounds pretty wonderful.

- Is my 15-year-old carbon fiber frame at risk of breaking? Some internet chatter suggests that it may be. I can't afford to wreck. I'm old.

I've been to BikeForums.net already, and it reminds me of TheGearPage.net in that there is a lot of experience, and a lot of arguing. I thought I might get some calmer answers here.

=K
I saw that Futureshock yesterday as well. Looks cool. Here's another take on stem shock absorber... https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem

UPDATE 9/3/30:

=K
The Roubaix is a very nice bike. It’s what I would get if another traditional road bike was in my future.

The disc brakes are good. I have them on 4 bikes. I think they are more reliable in crap conditions. I have a pretty light touch on brakes, so don’t find them especially better. I don’t think they need as much maintenance as rim brakes, though they require a bit of a lighter touch when you do feel the need to do something with them.

The shocks in the seat stem and the bars work really well. Both my daughter and I tried them more than once. She has race World Cup road events and is fussy about the details on her bikes.

I’m not worried about my old carbon frame breaking. I’m not putting out enough power to make it crumble and if I smash into something, breaking the frame isn’t my biggest worry. Even so, new stuff is nice. The bike I bought this summer is a huge improvement over the similar one I bought in 2003.

I saw that Futureshock yesterday as well. Looks cool. Here's another take on stem shock absorber... https://redshiftsports.com/shockstop-suspension-stem

I just moved on from my Trek Edmonda to a gravel bike, mainly for comfort and better gearing for all the climbing we do.
I considered a “comfort” road bike too like the Roubaix or Domane, they are similar to the gravel bikes, but the gravel gives me the opportunity to hit the dirt if I want.

I went with the Giant Revolt and couldn’t be happier. Super smooth on the road, still light and fast too. The difference in comfort is amazing.

And I love the disc brakes. I have had them on mountain bikes for a couple decades, much better feel in fast decents and no performance loss if you get caught out in the rain. I will only by disc bikes now.

I got it off road for the first time yesterday, a 3800 foot climb to Kolby park in the Aspen area on a rough rocky dirt road, and it was just a little rougher than my mountain bike on the trip back down.

The specialized Diverge is the gravel version of the Roubaix. Just another option to consider, but the Roubaix will be perfect for road only.

The main advantage of a gravel bike on the road is they allow wider tires, which allow much lower pressure in a tubeless set up, translates to a smoother ride.

If you plan to ride in wet weather disc brakes are a major plus. Disc is where the industry is at and where it’s heading. My mountain bike, circa 2004 has disc brakes and they were a game changer in that context. My newest road bike, 5 weeks old, has disc brakes. In the dry conditions in which I’ve been riding they are only slightly better than my rim brake bikes. I’ve never felt like rim brakes lacked the necessary stopping power EXCEPT in wet conditions. There is a weight penalty to disc brakes if that’s important to you.

If you plan to ride in wet weather disc brakes are a major plus. Disc is where the industry is at and where it’s heading. My mountain bike, circa 2004 has disc brakes and they were a game changer in that context. My newest road bike, 5 weeks old, has disc brakes. In the dry conditions in which I’ve been riding they are only slightly better than my rim brake bikes. I’ve never felt like rim brakes lacked the necessary stopping power EXCEPT in wet conditions. There is a weight penalty to disc brakes if that’s important to you.

Thanks, Tiboy. Keep the rubber side down.

And I'm still rockin' your PRS MEQ from years ago. Now with T-I flatwounds.

=K

We saw our youngest daughter for the first time since Covid over the last week.
She arrived just in time to go out on my final week (of 21) of TTs for the season and with a bit of coaching I beat my old standard by over 2 minutes. I won the overall championship among a bunch of recumbent types.
CK_7137PBassoFinalTTSideView.JPG

The next day we went for a more leisurely ride along the lake shore. Along the way, we noticed that we had similar tastes in footwear.
High tops. Dog socks. Purple shoes.
CK_740PEShoesAndSocks.JPG

Third day we went a bit more wild.
CK_743PStumpjumperMeadow.JPG

We found some colour we thought Mrs would like, so dragged her out for day 4. This groomed bit is between the house and the single track.
CK_745PLEBikeRidePath.JPG

Back