All about bicycles

I have this coming in the mail.

8872581-01.jpg
You have regained my respect, sir! You are indeed a true commuter.

After 22 years of faithful service, I finally replaced the original carbon fiber fork on my road bike. As I understand it, these babies fatigue and eventually fail. I wasn’t real interested in doing a face-plant at high-speeds into the road so it had to be done. Finding a new carbon fork with a 1-inch steerer tube was no easy task. Everyone moved to 1 and 1/8 steerer tubes 2-decades ago.

While I was at it, I replaced the threaded headset with a Chris King Nothreadset. As shown in a previous post (about my new bell), I also replaced the 120mm Alien stem with a 110mm stem from Thomson. I also replaced my damaged 44CM bar with a 46CM Carbon unit (also from Thomson). It is much more comfortable now. And finally, the old single-pivot Cane Creek brakes were replaced with a set of dual-pivot Dura Ace brakes. Now it actually stops. Bombing down a mountain pass with the original brakes took balls of solid brass - and a fair amount of faith.

It is my greatest hope this bike gives me 20 more years.

IMG_0026-X3.jpg

Last edited:
After 22 years of faithful service, I finally replaced the original carbon fiber fork on my road bike. As I understand it, these babies fatigue and eventually fail. I wasn’t real interested in doing a face-plant at high-speeds into the road so it had to be done. Finding a new carbon fork with a 1-inch steerer tube was no easy task. Everyone moved to 1 and 1/8 steerer tubes 2-decades ago.

While I was at it, I replaced the threaded headset with a Chris King Nothreadset. As shown in a previous post (about my new bell), I also replaced the 120mm Alien stem with a 110mm stem from Thomson. I also replaced my damaged 44CM bar with a 46CM Carbon unit (also from Thomson). It is much more comfortable now. And finally, the old single-pivot Cane Creek brakes were replaced with a set of dual-pivot Dura Ace brakes. Now it actually stops. Bombing down a mountain pass with the original brakes took balls of solid brass - and a fair amount of faith.

IMG_0026-X3.jpg

Now that’s what I call a bike!

In the FWIW category ...

My 'off road' riding is primarily on a relatively flat hard packed gravel trail, for which I specially built up a crazy fixed gear mongrel/beast. It's a 30 mile trail in each direction so I can rip it and get a great workout, but my main point for mentioning this is the tires.

I had limited room on the old track frame I used, and the biggest tire I could fit was a Continental Gatorskin (puncture resistant) 700cx32. It's a great compromise, providing a quick ride with enough grip and absorbency for the surface, even at lower pressures. Bottom line is that if a 32 is fat enough for you, it's a very good broad purpose tire and readily available.

IMG_0026-X3.jpg
Cool wheels

I didn’t get to ride this summer because of my wife’s knee replacement, but we had plans to get out in late October when I had a week off. But dumba$$ me broke my foot, so no riding this year.

The new bike is finally assembled. I took some glamour shots while its still clean. Time to get it dirty.

i-xL5mF32.jpg

i-cqTk6WN.jpg

i-j4Bk36B.jpg

i-t4V5w6h.jpg

i-DchqHJD.jpg
Sooo badass, and what great attention to detail! A real work of art.

Just out of curiosity, what is the final weight? Despite the fat tires, rack, and fenders, I'd bet < 20lbs. or right about there ... excluding the cool bell of course. ;)

I love the bell too. I don't think I have seen one mount to the stem, who makes it?

Its actually a 5mm steerer-tube spacer mount. It's made by Portland Design Works. Link is HERE.

My gravel bike has the flat bar tops with a sharp taper to the round stem part, very hard to mount stuff to them.

I have the same problem, as you can see. That why I had to go with a steerer-mount solution.

i-4PfG5tG-X3.jpg

Just out of curiosity, what is the final weight? Despite the fat tires, rack, and fenders, I'd bet < 20lbs. or right about there ... excluding the cool bell of course. ;)

I didn't weigh it before completing it but I have a pretty accurate scale that shows it (with fenders, lights, rack, and bell) just a hair under 24.5 pounds.

The 'cool bell' was too blingy so I stripped the clear coat and put it in a container with vinegar and salt overnight. Looks much better now. It should patina a bit more over the next few days.

i-3zTMxtR-X3.jpg

How forgiving is the saddle?

This saddle sucks. I have a Selle Anatomica H2 on the way which should resolve the issue. I would have gone with a Brooks B17 and called it good but the H2 is designed for riders my weight. The stock saddle (not shown) was too narrow for my sits bones.

Last edited:
Its actually a 5mm steerer-tube spacer mount. It's made by Portland Design Works. Link is HERE.

I have the same problem, as you can see. That why I had to go with a steerer-mount solution.

i-4PfG5tG-X3.jpg

I didn't weigh it before completing it but I have a pretty accurate scale that shows it (with fenders, lights, rack, and bell) just a hair under 24.5 pounds.

The 'cool bell' was too blingy so I stripped the clear coat and put it in a container with vinegar and salt overnight. Looks much better now. It should patina a bit more over the next few days.

i-3zTMxtR-X3.jpg

This saddle sucks. I have a Selle Anatomica H2 on the way which should resolve the issue. I would have gone with a Brooks B17 and called it good but the H2 is designed for riders my weight. The stock saddle (not shown) was too narrow for my sits bones.
Dig! Totally dig!

Back