Advice on defect in new Guitar

mintakka

Hey Folks

So the long story short is that I recently (on last Thursday) purchased a Hollowbody II Piezo SE from a local mom&pop type authorized dealer. I knew I wanted one of these guitars and I was pretty exited to check it out in the store - being a new guitar I didn't think to give it a full 360 degree point-by-point inspection. That was apparently my mistake. Turns out, underneath the neck, inside the lower cut at the neck-body joint, is a pretty big sized finish defect. You can see in this picture.
unBc2VZ.jpg

It looks to me like a finish bubble that burst. I didn't see it looking down at the guitar in store. I only noticed it re-stringing at home.

So, I called the shop back and explained to the owner. He immediately told me this is a "warranty issue" (big red flag IMO, but I'll come back to that). He says he'll call PRS and see what they want to do about it; either repair or replace. I want *a* HBII, so that's fair enough at the surface. So right now still waiting for PRS to get back in touch with the shop owner to advise on the path forward.

Here's my concern -

getting a server error trying to edit my original post. Here's the rest...

Here's my concern:

my understanding is that new inventory is on a 12+ month lead time from the China factory. So a direct replacement seems unlikely. That leaves a repair, which seems like it would take at least 3 months minimum. Not even factoring in the fact that we're at end of year and holidays.

So, the advice I'm seeking for you folks: Should I just push for a full refund? I mean, is that unreasonable? The owner told me this is a warranty issue, but this defect was clearly present before I purchased the guitar.

Don’t get hung up on the warranty issue. That just means it’s covered and you’re going to get taken care of as oppressed to being told you’re SOL.

If you like this guitar and they offer the repair, take it. At least you’ll know what you’re getting back.

Concurred! Play it its a beautiful guitar. Don't look down there until you hear back about the warranty.

Could we see the top and back shot...please?

If you love the way the guitar plays and sounds, see if you can get a price break. If it really bothers you, then return it for repair or replacement. It’s not the store’s “fault.” I’ve seen people refuse a guitar because the box was open so it wasn’t new in their eyes. We all have different things that make us happy. For me, it’s sound. I have a couple of ten tops, but I’ve never seen an ugly PRS, except a solid slime green S2 that I’m sure is beautiful in the eyes of the owner.

Honestly it looks like a pretty small defect to my eyes. I'd roll with it and be kind to the ma and pop store. That's me. I know if you use gear it gets dinged, I'd never see it, and I like to go easy on the little guys. At worst I'd ask for a few bucks back.

Honestly it looks like a pretty small defect to my eyes. I'd roll with it and be kind to the ma and pop store. That's me. I know if you use gear it gets dinged, I'd never see it, and I like to go easy on the little guys. At worst I'd ask for a few bucks back.

Are you thinking he’s referring to what looks like the white dot, which is probably a light reflection? He means the nasty finish lifting where the body meets the neck.

Are you thinking he’s referring to what looks like the white dot, which is probably a light reflection? He means the nasty finish lifting where the body meets the neck.

Thank you! I see the darn bubble now..I'm so used to the other way I naturally assumed. My bad. That's worse for sure, but I'd still work out a deal in these times if I was happy with the guitar in every other way.

If it's easy as exchange that would be another story, but I wouldn't ship it to PRS for warranty. I'd keep and discount or return for another where ever. For me it's better in the long run to make nice with a local shop and come to a fair solution. That's me. I get the other side too.

Thanks for the input folks - I was mostly venting when I posted this late last night ;); but a few comments on the common themes here.

1. Yes I love this guitar in every other respect and it's otherwise exactly what I wanted. That's why I'm so frustrated by this! I want to play it, not send it back and wait for a 2-3 month repair job on a *brand new* guitar.

2. If PRS is willing to retrospectively discount the price of the instrument, I'd definitely consider that offer.I agree it doesn't affect playability. Right now, my objection is mostly on principle - I don't expect to pay MSRP for a new PRS marked guitar and have a finish defect this bad. This wouldn't even pass Squire QC to be honest. But yes, it otherwise plays fine and as I said I love it. So I don't know if PRS does stuff like this, but I would consider.

3. Totally agree to be kind to the shop. If this was Guitar Center I'd already have requested a refund. I'm not sure how things like this work between the shop and PRS. I feel if the shop isn't out any money (other than a lost sale), then it would be perfectly fair to ask for a return and go buy a different one while the shop ships this one back to PRS. But, I don't want to stiff the shop either. PRS should be the bag holder in this situation, not me or the shop; but I'm not sure if it works that way (e.g. dealers buy the instruments for their shops out of pocket).

Anyway, hopefully the shop hears back from the mothership before thanksgiving.

With an outlook like above this is all going to work out for you. Bummer to have to deal with it, but I'm confident all will be handled one way or another. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited:
Personally, I’d just return it for a full refund ( assuming you’re within the store’s return window.) I’m sure you’d have no problem finding another one elsewhere. I just can’t see PRS refinishing this, being an Asian import.

If it’s the white “ speck” I see, I might ask for a discount. If it is a finish-lifting issue, absolutely go back for a refund. It sucks, but that’s me..

If it’s the white “ speck” I see, I might ask for a discount. If it is a finish-lifting issue, absolutely go back for a refund. It sucks, but that’s me..

Nah, he means this

I agree with you that is a big defect. I wonder sometimes when I see finish flaws in the neck joint area if some type of stress was there at some time. Although they do just do that I have seen a plethora of bolt on guitars with cracks there.
I have never had this with a PRS guitar however all my made in America Jacksons and Charvel's have that type of finish separation on the headstocks like the clear coat is coming away from it. Not sure where you are from right now Daves guitar shop has new and used hollow body guitars. They ship fast. Just my .2 cents.

I agree with you that is a big defect. I wonder sometimes when I see finish flaws in the neck joint area if some type of stress was there at some time. Although they do just do that I have seen a plethora of bolt on guitars with cracks there.
I have never had this with a PRS guitar however all my made in America Jacksons and Charvel's have that type of finish separation on the headstocks like the clear coat is coming away from it. Not sure where you are from right now Daves guitar shop has new and used hollow body guitars. They ship fast. Just my .2 cents.

My core CU24 has a couple of these finish bubbles. From what I've researched it's from not enough drying time between coats. It seems to be rather common for a period from PRS. I half joke who was the intern or trainee during that time?

My guess is this bubble may have something to do with catching up on the supply chain, sitting on a ship, or just the way it can go in manufacturered goods.

I suspect it took a hard knock in the neck/body joint area. Unless "squiggle" is a light reflection at the neck binding (in the "V" of the red arrow above) I'd say that also looks like some sort of ding, which might have happened at the same time.

That’s a return if ever I saw one. It’s so massive I’m not sure you could even call it a flaw?! How TF that passed QC is the real question, but hey, nobody is perfect.

I suspect it took a hard knock in the neck/body joint area. Unless "squiggle" is a light reflection at the neck binding (in the "V" of the red arrow above) I'd say that also looks like some sort of ding, which might have happened at the same time.
I agree. I smack on the neck/headstock was my thought as well.

Back