Advice on defect in new Guitar

I'd guess a hard knock one way or the other would be easy enough to tell in person..since the shop said finish bubble I was rolling with that. If there's a ding or something it's obviously not just a finish bubble.

Weird for that to get through QC and 2 at that since SE are checked overseas and here. But we're only human and these have been unusual times.

That’s a return if ever I saw one. It’s so massive I’m not sure you could even call it a flaw?! How TF that passed QC is the real question, but hey, nobody is perfect.
That assumes it happened at the factory. Could quite easily have taken a whack in shipping, or more likely, in the store. I can't imagine the store owners would have put something with that obvious damage out on display.

That sounds like a good answer to me. That makes perfect sense. The thing is in the end we are talking about wood and being from nature every piece reacts different.
However I would expect a little more on a core cu24. For 4-5K I expect purfection

That’s a return if ever I saw one. It’s so massive I’m not sure you could even call it a flaw?! How TF that passed QC is the real question, but hey, nobody is perfect.
haha for real. But, there's aren't normal times - demand is high and supply chains are restricted. I can see how it could lead to some slip-ups at even vigilant companies. Unfortunately, I am getting a very "returns are not allowed and this is a warranty issue" vibe from the shop owner. I am taking the soft approach to wait and see what the official word from PRS is before making any decision. They may be willing to discount as someone mentioned above or replace it with relatively quick TAT. But, if they say I need to ship it back to them for repair and wait months, then I'm going to play the "I want a refund" card. I actually dropped the guitar off back at the shop this morning. So that would just be a paper exercise at this point.

But, I'm trying not to be too negative about it. I can't imagine PRS would think this is OK either to make a customer of a *brand new* defective instrument wait months for a repair.

Last edited:
I’d not be so nice to the shop. They sold a guitar with a defect. Put the expectation on them to make an effort to correct things. If they don’t care about keeping a customer, they won’t be around long.

Well, I'm pretty anal on stuff like that ...

And a Black/Gold Burst Piezo are lusted after for their extreme pretty, and I just could not get past that blemish.

Also that is now a $1,600.00 guitar (I have seen a Korean D'Angelico for $1,900 )

Full refund, find another dealer who may have one in stock (or at least a shorter wait time.

BTW, your dealer should have never shipped with that kind of blemish . I think sometimes, dealers may be aware of the defect, but not be sure how the customer will react... so they ship anyway to see

AND ... that fact that you posted this thread says you share similar concerns, otherwise, you would be happily strumming away

To close the loop on this thread - a few weeks ago I leveled with the shop owner and we agreed that if PRS didn't replace it by Dec 17th (or at least have a firm date for when they would have another available) then he'd refund me. Low and behold: Dec 15th PRS came through with the replacement and it's perfect. A little annoying, but at the end of the day a one month turn around from ticket initiation to having a replacement in my hand is not so unreasonable. PRS Warranty service was pretty great in this instance.

Well, I'm pretty anal on stuff like that ...

BTW, your dealer should have never shipped with that kind of blemish . I think sometimes, dealers may be aware of the defect, but not be sure how the customer will react... so they ship anyway to see

Yeah I am like at least 50% confident that this is what happened. I spoke direclty with PRS about a week before they got the replacement in and they told me there is zero chance it left their MD facility with this and they think it happened during shipping to the dealer. Benefit of the doubt though: I missed this too when I bought it.

To close the loop on this thread - a few weeks ago I leveled with the shop owner and we agreed that if PRS didn't replace it by Dec 17th (or at least have a firm date for when they would have another available) then he'd refund me. Low and behold: Dec 15th PRS came through with the replacement and it's perfect. A little annoying, but at the end of the day a one month turn around from ticket initiation to having a replacement in my hand is not so unreasonable. PRS Warranty service was pretty great in this instance.

Yeah I am like at least 50% confident that this is what happened. I spoke direclty with PRS about a week before they got the replacement in and they told me there is zero chance it left their MD facility with this and they think it happened during shipping to the dealer. Benefit of the doubt though: I missed this too when I bought it.
Its a fantastic guitar. Very happy it was resolved play it well!! Need pics to drool on :D

I spoke direclty with PRS about a week before they got the replacement in and they told me there is zero chance it left their MD facility with this and they think it happened during shipping to the dealer.

PRS check every SE in their Factory (at least for the US market) and would very unlikely miss that...

However, they have not seen the 'guitar' since it was inspected and reboxed for distribution. That means that anything could happen in transit, in the retailers shop (not just the 'retailer' or staff, but the customers too if it was out on display for people to try it) and also the couriers they use if the guitar is sent out. All 'boxes' should be 'open' - first by PRS when they do their check and then by retailer who should of checked the stock arrived as expected and certainly check they are sending out an instrument as described.

That's why the 'Onus' is on the retailer in the first instance - not PRS. From PRS's perspective, they have checked the instrument and can say it passed inspection on whatever date is on the tag and therefore 'left' them in 'perfect' condition. If it 'doesn't' arrive at the retailer in perfect condition, they should return it immediately (also narrows down that the Damage probably occurred in transit to them). If a customer buys a damaged 'new' guitar, the 'fault' is with the retailer as they should of checked the stock and its their responsibility to 'fix' the issue. That may well be to negotiate with PRS to try and locate a suitable replacement but its the 'retailer' who is responsible for any issues - certainly within the first year.

Whilst you 'buy' a PRS guitar, you are entering a 'contract' with the retailer. The Retailer has a Contract with the Manufacturer so if the supplied stock arrives 'damaged' or faulty, they should contact PRS to sort out before that stock goes up for sale. They accepted the stock and 'sold' it to the customer so the Customer has a 'contract' with the retailer and its the retailer that should put things right.

Back