About the new V12 finish and the new pattern thin

yuyue

Hi.

I'm looking to buy my first PRS, it will be a Custom 24 Charcoal Burst. I searched and played a few models on my local store, but I couldn't find the Charcoal/Thin Neck so I decided to buy online.

I found what I was looking, great looking Charcoal Burst and thin neck with the price I can afford (about $3000+$200 shipped). The problem is, it's the 25 anniversary model with the old specs. Basically it doesn't have the V12 finish and the neck is the "Wide Think". I can't find any old specs models here and couldn't find any comparison pictures of the finishes....

The MAIN questions is: What's the real difference between both finishes? I'm asking mainly for the "looking" of the finish. Does the V12 finish is really more "beautiful" and "better" than the old ones? Should I avoid the old finish and wait a little more to get one with the new finish?

How is the old "wide thin" compared with the new "pattern thin"? Which one is more thinner or easier to play the high notes?

Also, $3000 for a guitar produced 3 year ago is a good deal?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm sooooo excited to buy this baby

Regards.

I haven't seen any discussions comparing Wide Thin to Pattern Thin.

I can't comment on the finishes because I still haven't played a V12 PRS. That would require me to go to the store, ask for them to get me a guitar off the wall and play it, and then I might accidentally buy it. :) I don't have any issues with the old finish.

So, I'm sorry I can't comment on the two things you asked about. However, the 25th anny models were cool in their own way due to the neck binding and 57/08s on a rotary switch, which are unique to that guitar. So, whether it's worth $3k is up to you!

I don't think you'd find a huge difference between the two finishes; I have guitars with both and while the V12 finish is a little more slippery and smells nice, I can't say that it makes one guitar stand out from another. It's certainly easier to look after than a nitro finish but it wouldn't make me turn down a nice guitar or choose one over another.

The pattern thin is supposed to be a standardised version of the original wide/thin neck profile. You might find a wide/thin that's exactly the same as the pattern thin or it might be a little fatter, thinner, flatter etc. but in theory, the pattern thin will be exactly as Paul intended and the same from one guitar to another. It's all to do with computer-profiling the neck design and ensuring consistency.

One thing you may have to consider is this: if you're outside the USA ($200 shipping costs suggest you are), then buying from the USA will mean you probably have to pay local sales tax and customs charges. In the UK for example, that would add 24% to the cost of the guitar. Mind you, I bought a Paul's Guitar from the USA and saved $1500 over buying in the UK recently.

OK...
If you don't have a benchmark in mind it's hard for any of us to accurately explain the carve differences.
I always loved the WT and did NOT love the WF.
I got a new PRS in 2012 with a Pattern Thin neck. It's kinda...meh. Neither here nor there. Wont make WF lovers happy and wont make WT lovers happy.
The WT is DEFINITELY a lot thinner and wider feeling. In actual dimensions the differences are very slight.

If you like Ibanez thin and wide and flat...a WT will be closest but not very Ibanez-y. If you like them wide and thin feeling though...the WT is for you.
I don't like '50s Gibson chunk but I like their slim 60s taper.
I prefer thinner fender necks than more hefty ones.

I'd say that a Pattern Thin is similar to an average strat neck? A WT is a little thinner and feels a fair bit wider (though I think width is the same?).

It's completely a matter of personal preference.

Oh and...MusiciansFriend is still having AMAZING deals on PRS. They have 15% off but ALSO "in cart" discounts. You'll get like 35%OFF. So for example...a new $2700 PRS Studio can be had for UNDER $2K...SHIPPED!!!
They of course wont ship PRSs outside of the USA so you'll need a friendly American's help. At LEAST you might be able to use MF's deals as bargaining leverage. You can say..."WHY would I pay $3200 for an old PRS when I can get a BRAND NEW one for WAY less???"

The finishes.
I have nitrocellulose covered ones, poly coated PRSs, and V12 finished.

I've found that the V12 is the most "glassy" in looks and feel.
It is shiny and you can just TELL that it's very hard and very thin. Doesn't feel sticky or goopy dipped in plastic. It feels awesome and looks like a million. BUT...it really IS like GLASS.
VERY THIN glass. At least on my Studio it is.

Tap it and it'll chip. I have more edge chips on my Studio than on my '94 CE24 that I abused for a LOT of years and a LOT of shows.
And where it IS chipped you can really tell just HOW thin the V12 coating is. And that is of course a GOOD thing...you want as thin as you can get. But it's SO hard!
It's like glass or like heat treated and quenched but untempered high carbon steel. Hard and brittle. It could use a little toughness.

Is it "worth it"? Well it doesn't cost extra...in fact, with the deals out there it costs LESS. It is probably BETTER than anything that has come before...except maybe in the durability dept. So...you just have to be a little (lot?) extra careful with it.

SO...if you can get one for $2K...and have to pay 24% plus shipping....and maybe a little something for whoever is middling it for you...You'll still come out ahead.
Good idea to try, if you can...the different available neck carves though.

The Guitar Shop has a used custom 24 In stock and charcoal burst....just sayin

I haven't seen any discussions comparing Wide Thin to Pattern Thin.

I can't comment on the finishes because I still haven't played a V12 PRS. That would require me to go to the store, ask for them to get me a guitar off the wall and play it, and then I might accidentally buy it. :) I don't have any issues with the old finish.

So, I'm sorry I can't comment on the two things you asked about. However, the 25th anny models were cool in their own way due to the neck binding and 57/08s on a rotary switch, which are unique to that guitar. So, whether it's worth $3k is up to you!

Ouch, how long haven't you gone to the store? Go and take these guitars!!!!

I don't think you'd find a huge difference between the two finishes; I have guitars with both and while the V12 finish is a little more slippery and smells nice, I can't say that it makes one guitar stand out from another. It's certainly easier to look after than a nitro finish but it wouldn't make me turn down a nice guitar or choose one over another.

The pattern thin is supposed to be a standardised version of the original wide/thin neck profile. You might find a wide/thin that's exactly the same as the pattern thin or it might be a little fatter, thinner, flatter etc. but in theory, the pattern thin will be exactly as Paul intended and the same from one guitar to another. It's all to do with computer-profiling the neck design and ensuring consistency.

One thing you may have to consider is this: if you're outside the USA ($200 shipping costs suggest you are), then buying from the USA will mean you probably have to pay local sales tax and customs charges. In the UK for example, that would add 24% to the cost of the guitar. Mind you, I bought a Paul's Guitar from the USA and saved $1500 over buying in the UK recently.

The price difference here (Japan) is not so absurd, the main problem is the lack of option... Also, musical instruments are duty free here, I just need to pay the sale tax of 5% :p

OK...
If you don't have a benchmark in mind it's hard for any of us to accurately explain the carve differences.
I always loved the WT and did NOT love the WF.
I got a new PRS in 2012 with a Pattern Thin neck. It's kinda...meh. Neither here nor there. Wont make WF lovers happy and wont make WT lovers happy.
The WT is DEFINITELY a lot thinner and wider feeling. In actual dimensions the differences are very slight.

If you like Ibanez thin and wide and flat...a WT will be closest but not very Ibanez-y. If you like them wide and thin feeling though...the WT is for you.
I don't like '50s Gibson chunk but I like their slim 60s taper.
I prefer thinner fender necks than more hefty ones.

I'd say that a Pattern Thin is similar to an average strat neck? A WT is a little thinner and feels a fair bit wider (though I think width is the same?).

It's completely a matter of personal preference.

Oh and...MusiciansFriend is still having AMAZING deals on PRS. They have 15% off but ALSO "in cart" discounts. You'll get like 35%OFF. So for example...a new $2700 PRS Studio can be had for UNDER $2K...SHIPPED!!!
They of course wont ship PRSs outside of the USA so you'll need a friendly American's help. At LEAST you might be able to use MF's deals as bargaining leverage. You can say..."WHY would I pay $3200 for an old PRS when I can get a BRAND NEW one for WAY less???"

The finishes.
I have nitrocellulose covered ones, poly coated PRSs, and V12 finished.

I've found that the V12 is the most "glassy" in looks and feel.
It is shiny and you can just TELL that it's very hard and very thin. Doesn't feel sticky or goopy dipped in plastic. It feels awesome and looks like a million. BUT...it really IS like GLASS.
VERY THIN glass. At least on my Studio it is.

Tap it and it'll chip. I have more edge chips on my Studio than on my '94 CE24 that I abused for a LOT of years and a LOT of shows.
And where it IS chipped you can really tell just HOW thin the V12 coating is. And that is of course a GOOD thing...you want as thin as you can get. But it's SO hard!
It's like glass or like heat treated and quenched but untempered high carbon steel. Hard and brittle. It could use a little toughness.

Is it "worth it"? Well it doesn't cost extra...in fact, with the deals out there it costs LESS. It is probably BETTER than anything that has come before...except maybe in the durability dept. So...you just have to be a little (lot?) extra careful with it.

SO...if you can get one for $2K...and have to pay 24% plus shipping....and maybe a little something for whoever is middling it for you...You'll still come out ahead.
Good idea to try, if you can...the different available neck carves though.

Thanks for the tips. My first guitar was a Les Paul and I'm avoiding anything similar in terms of the neck size...
I think I'll wait for the 2014 models and take the V12 finish...

The Guitar Shop has a used custom 24 In stock and charcoal burst....just sayin

Thanks, I had found it too. But I'm not sure if I want a used one. I think I'll send a email to them. If the condition is GREAT and if we can deal something on the price...

I bought a brand new 25th Anniversary Custom 24 10 top for way less than $3000 when they were new. For some reason $2450 sticks in my mind as the price I paid. I think maybe $3000 is too much.

I just picked up a new Studio with a pattern thin neck, and my main guitar is an 03 custom 24 with a pattern thin neck. I notice almost no difference whatsoever. In fact I like the pattern a little bit better, but it could be b/c its new. To me they are extremely similar and both great.

You don't have to wait for the 2014 models to get a V12 finish. 2011 I think was the first year?
If you can, test drive the SE line. Theyre amazing and there are some VERY nice additions for 2014 like the SECU24 FloydRose and the Zach Myers semi hollow SC. WOW!!
I'll tell you what...as far as finishes go, my Tremonti SE Custom feels more glassy than the Studio with the V12. Many will consider it "plasticky" and over finished with thick poly but to me, it almost feels "better"? Smoother? Slicker?
I also have a few older USA PRSs.
The coatings play absolutely NO role when I decide which guitar to grab. It doesn't even enter my mind and I have NEVER said to myself upon switching guitars onstage...OMG the finish on this one is SO much better!
The V12 was released with a lot of hype.
It's fancy and space age and took TWELVE YEARS TO FORMULATE!!! (Really? SOMEONE has WAY too much time on their hands. If I was Paul and after 12 years the engineers said...LOOK what we came up with!! a new finish that is gonna flip the world of guitars on it's EAR!! Well I'd have 2 words for them...YOU'RE FIRED!
After all my years of being a PRS owner and player, in my mind the finish was never the weakest link, In fact, I hadn't even noticed anything wrong with the old poly or nitro coatings.

If I was specing a new PRS today and they asked if I wanted the fancy schmancy V12 finish I would say...uhhh no thanks. It is nice and thin and shiny and hard...but it's TOO thin and hard (for me) and the old stuff shines just fine enough for me thank you very much.

So OP...if it were me, I would give absolutely NO weight to the V12 finish when shopping a new PRS. I see No benefit in it and in fact, I see some liabilities with it namely durability and protection.

I hadn't ever noticed that my non-V12 PRSs weren't shiny enough or glassy feeling enough or thinly coated enough...I never said...damned stupid thick poly coating is CHOKING my tone!! If a V12 was a cost option I'd be saying KEEP IT. If it's a no-upcharge thing well...I'd still probably say KEEP IT!

I personally don't think the V12 should make or break a deal. If I was trying 2 CU24s that were exactly the same except one was V12 and the other was poly, I know I'm probably the only one but I would probably stick with the poly...or actually...I'd go for nitro all day. I kinda like how it ages and loses some of it's luster. I don't think a '59 burst would look nice if it was still supershiny.
YMMV

Back