Yo Jesse! Where's my Coupon? NGD At Last!!!

As usual my pics suck.. I even kinda tried this time, maybe its previous owner will add one of his better shots?

So anyway... I was all set to buy a fuggin powder blue SASNF from that dude on Craigslist that I had to show my money to until he blew me off. Lucky for me our very own Rider1260 (Mike) is going through a severe case of GAS himself, saw that wad of loot and hollered at me.

Mike is the first guy who I met in person from the forums and besides making some top-shelf killer dirt pedals, he also had both of the PRS guitars I wanted to try the most: a 305 and this KL33. While I left his home and his generous hospitality the first time no longer wanting a 305, I did end up leaving knowing that a West St. or a KL33 would be on my list of guitars I'd be searching for, not just because of the way they look or the fact that as a PRS fanboi I desired a guitar like one Paul would've made himself back in the day (Oh.. I can't tell you how many hours I stared at a particular guitar in the PRS Book) but that it was an incredible sounding guitar!

I was watching a Westie on ebay that didn't have the Sapele top or little gecko/seahorse/dragon but couldn't pull the trigger for some reason, I don't generally care for birds or dragons and I reached the saturation point for wicked flamed crazy wood... I like flowers and moons and sparkles and opaque sh!t more these days. I made a pact that my next guitar was gonna be more "adult" and utilitarian since I have all those kitschy SE's to use as fashion accessories and I'm so pleased the guitar gods (and Mike!) made this one available for me!

In my mind I don't think of this as a stripped down Santana or West St., I think of this as PRS's version of an original V or Explorer and by the sound of it, that's exactly what it is. It's a little brighter than an all mahogany guitar (bonus for me) with a prominent midrange, and man,...is this a focused and defined sounding guitar. While a bunch of KL33 owners have voiced their distaste for the Mira pups I am honestly surprised how clear and not muddy this neck pup is, I may end up going in a single coil direction for the neck in the future but as it is right now.. I'm diggin' it. While the neck is HUGE! I can still wrap my thumb around top and mute the low E and the scale length so comfy for lead work, and god did I wail on it last night... Think Guitar Center on a Saturday meets Crossroads festival.. Widdly widdly...Weee!!!! For hours... So annoying.

The case pushed me over the edge. Mike's got a 25th Anv. Mira too, so I knew he was sitting on the case I had a "guitar boner" for. When I suggested that I would be highly motivated to buy if he threw that in, like the bro that he is he said: "Sure". I had never seen the inside of these cases, only the blanc outsides.. When I walked into his basement and saw that it was red... I felt a little movement down there. God! It looks like a million bucks sitting in that case, not that it matters, but sometimes when you see a guitar and get visually excited by it it makes you play with a little more enthusiasm. Both the guitar and the case are in A+ condition too, not a single scratch or ding I could see.

I'm so geeked. I can't wait to put a few marks on this and rub a little sweat on it and carve my name into this.

Thanks for playing along,... and Happy Holiday everybody!

Sofa King Hot!!!!! Congrats on that score. Is it too early to call dibs? Is Jesse on his way over to play?

Word on the street is Sergio is about to cash in a coupon from the one and only...JF'NB.

Congrats, that looks magnificent.... classy and sophisticated! Nice one.

To use one of you're own expressions - Bangin!

Looks great, and you're right, that red in the case really sets it off.

I'm just waiting to see what you do to it...

Looks great, and you're right, that red in the case really sets it off.

I'm just waiting to see what you do to it...

Love the case. I seriously think some of the PRS cases are as fresh lookin' as any other luxury good brands could put out, but I do spend an unhealthy amount of time looking at luggage. :reface:

I can't say what I will or won't do to this guitar, I kinda think its perfect.... Well, except those tuning pegs. Those gotta go.:D

Love the case. I seriously think some of the PRS cases are as fresh lookin' as any other luxury good brands could put out, but I do spend an unhealthy amount of time looking at luggage. :reface:

I can't say what I will or won't do to this guitar, I kinda think its perfect.... Well, except those tuning pegs. Those gotta go.:D

Congrats on the NGD, Sergio! I'll agree - she looks perfect!

And I'll join you in appreciating guitar cases more than your average bear. PRS does a great job with the whole package, and I totally consider the case when I'm looking at a new guitar. I'm not proud, but I do it.

Back