DGT SE Wiring Harness

Black Dog

DGT
I wanted to upgrade my DGT SE wiring harness so I reached out to my wiring guy. I told him what I wanted and now it's on it's way.

temp-Image-Kk2o-Iz.avif
temp-Image-Wrh-GI7.avif
temp-Image-T2-IOrl.avif
temp-Image-SCqv-NN.avif
temp-Imagej-CH9-VE.avif

I saw the 10M resistors on the volume pots. I went and pulled the wiring diagram and sure enough, there they are. I don't think mine has those. I am wondering what they do. My first thought is adjust the taper of the volume pot. It looks like it is in series with the capacitor, as long as the outer lug isn't also connected to the back of the pot, which it looks like it isn't. I haven't seen it done that way before. I like it.

I haven't decided if I'm going to solder the bridge pickup to the front volume pot like it is from the factory or solder it to the rear volume pot like a traditional setup. What do you think.

I got used to having the bridge volume closer really fast. I spend more time on the bridge pickup than I do on the neck on that guitar.

The SE DGT is most worthy of that upgrade. :cool:

The 10M resistor to ground slightly lowers the resistance of the pot. The Fralin site has a good explainer. Scroll down to "TRANSFORM YOUR POTS": https://www.fralinpickups.com/2018/10/17/using-resistors-in-guitars-101/

So for a pot measuring an actual 550k, adding the 10M resistor lowers it to 521k.

PRS have been using the same method on the Silver Sky, at least they did in the beginning. They used a 300k pot with a 3.3M resistor to bring it down to 275k.

The examples on the Fralin site are an old school trick for tinkerers.

The end result is dependent on what the pot and resistor ACTUALLY measure, not what they're specced at.

The SE DGT is most worthy of that upgrade. :cool:

The 10M resistor to ground slightly lowers the resistance of the pot. The Fralin site has a good explainer. Scroll down to "TRANSFORM YOUR POTS": https://www.fralinpickups.com/2018/10/17/using-resistors-in-guitars-101/

So for a pot measuring an actual 550k, adding the 10M resistor lowers it to 521k.

PRS have been using the same method on the Silver Sky, at least they did in the beginning. They used a 300k pot with a 3.3M resistor to bring it down to 275k.

The examples on the Fralin site are an old school trick for tinkerers.

The end result is dependent on what the pot and resistor ACTUALLY measure, not what they're specced at.
Thanks for the link! I think I have read this there before but it has been a while and I am not getting any younger. :)

Back