Would You Be Satisfied w/This?

Surftrybe

Hey guys and gals, I just got my PRS SE from Sweetwater, I had the install some 57/08s and when I pulled it out of the case and sat down to check tuning, I felt and heard a bit of a rattle, looked down and saw the neck pickup looking as so - see pics.

I'm a beginner, I played the few notes I know, couldn't really perceive anything audible, but it bugs me knowing that I paid for them to be professionally installed and that the one is tilted and rattles a bit (as in when you give the area where the neck and body are joined a little shake/wiggle, if that makes sense - the pickup shifts a bit.

Thoughts?

https://link.shutterfly.com/bD7pFCnrYbb
bD7pFCnrYbb

Hopefully it is an easy fix like mentioned above. I would make sure your sales engineer at SW knows about it. I ordered a guitar from them where I had the nut upgraded. The guitar arrived with terrible scratches on the back and I was not a happy camper. My sales engineer basically blew off my complaint. So I contacted Chuck, you know the guy that says he wants to hear from you. Within an hour, I had a new sales engineer and by the end of day they had a replacement guitar coming my way.

I think the other folks here are correct - the height adjustment screw likely just worked loose in shipping. It should be an easy fix - but I’d pay close attention to it during the return period to see if it’s going to repeatedly work loose easily. If that’s the case, I’d want it replaced - it may be that the screw or the pickup leg are stripped. But if it pulls up to position and stays there, I wouldn’t sweat it at all.

It may be a little tricky to get the screw back into the pickup leg; the leg may be sitting just a bit below the length of the screw -because if was so close to the end that it fell of in transit. If you can still touch the leg with the screw end, it may be tough to line up the screw with the hole and if you can catch it have a tendency to cross-thread because the hole will be at a slight angle.

I would take some kind of small wire that's 'L' shaped (like an opened up paper clip), slip it down between the pickup and the ring to get under the leg and lift it a bit so the screw can thread in easier.

Looks to me to be a loose adjustment screw. The sucky part is you'll need to remove the strings to get at it, but its an easy fix. They might have set the pickup too low and the screw worked itself out during shipping. I doubt it, but it is possible they missed reinstalling the spring when they installed these pickups, which unless you have replacements on hand means youll need to order some. No biggie though, both cases are easy fixes, just annoying.

It ended up being both screws - that realization came from trying the paperclip idea. so the pickup is now sitting squarely at the bottom of the pickup "cavity". I have gotten Sweetwater to verbally commit to reimbursing me for a local luthier to (1) properly reinstall that pickup specifically (including ensuring the spring some forum members mentioned on this thread). (2) Inspect the other pickup's installation and the other services Sweetwater performed to ensure they were done correctly and if needed (3) correct anything else, restring/set up. So, with optimism I will assume it will be a correct pickup issue, restring and setup done, happy customer, make obscene noises come from my new PRS guitar and Fender Bassman '59 reissue, as I'm a beginner - sorry neighbors : )

As others have said its probably a loose adjusting screw. Double check the spring is still there. I wouldn't try too long to line it up without removing the pickup. Its just 4 screws and a real easy job. You should be able to do it without removing the strings and just loosening them. Quick easy job. Good luck!

As with any online big box store, Sweetwater's good at taking and filling your order quickly and efficiently. I buy a fair amount of studio gear from them.

However, their service on guitars is no better than any other big box store. The guitar inspectors don't appear or claim to be particularly skilled at specialty luthierie (they have an online video about their process, check for yourself. It looks to me like they just eyeball things, check boxes on a list, and ship 'em out).

I buy from Jack Gretz, who's a luthier himself, and knows what he's doing. I've probably bought 30-plus from him over the years, and they always arrive in perfect condition, properly set up the way I like. When it comes to a traditional instrument like a guitar (as opposed to a synth, for example), a smaller specialty dealer is a preferred option - for me. YMMV.

In any event, I've never been unhappy dealing with Jack. I'm sure there are other great dealers who advertise in the dealer section here who do just as nice a job.

It ended up being both screws - that realization came from trying the paperclip idea. so the pickup is now sitting squarely at the bottom of the pickup "cavity". I have gotten Sweetwater to verbally commit to reimbursing me for a local luthier to (1) properly reinstall that pickup specifically (including ensuring the spring some forum members mentioned on this thread). (2) Inspect the other pickup's installation and the other services Sweetwater performed to ensure they were done correctly and if needed (3) correct anything else, restring/set up. So, with optimism I will assume it will be a correct pickup issue, restring and setup done, happy customer, make obscene noises come from my new PRS guitar and Fender Bassman '59 reissue, as I'm a beginner - sorry neighbors : )

Personally I'd look at it my self. If the springs are in there, then it's a 5 minute job to fix. You might get away with loosening the strings, but it'll be far easier to just take the strings off and fit some new ones afterwards. Having a luthier deal with this is overkill and will keep you from playing it for a while.

I'd do this:

Chop the strings off.
Loosen 4 screws on the pickup surrounds and lift it and the surrounds out of the guitar.
Make sure there are two long screws and two springs in there. Double check they haven't dropped down into the cavity where the wires come through and are rattling around elsewhere (you can't check that until you have removed the humbucker of course.
Assuming the springs are inside the cavity, slip them back over the screws, under the pickup surround, and align them with the holes in the lugs of the humbucker, screw them in.
Re-mount the pickup surround in the guitar.
Install new strings and tune.
Adjust pickup height.

If they have installed this without the springs (which is unbelievable) then you can buy some like these (the longer ones).

All you are doing in this process is refitting that spring shown below.

8N5Es4PFViWDJQu5mwkzrE-970-80.jpg

install2.JPG

As with any online big box store, Sweetwater's good at taking and filling your order quickly and efficiently. I buy a fair amount of studio gear from them.

However, their service on guitars is no better than any other big box store. The guitar inspectors don't appear or claim to be particularly skilled at specialty luthierie (they have an online video about their process, check for yourself. It looks to me like they just eyeball things, check boxes on a list, and ship 'em out).

I buy from Jack Gretz, who's a luthier himself, and knows what he's doing. I've probably bought 30-plus from him over the years, and they always arrive in perfect condition, properly set up the way I like. When it comes to a traditional instrument like a guitar (as opposed to a synth, for example), a smaller specialty dealer is a preferred option - for me. YMMV.

In any event, I've never been unhappy dealing with Jack. I'm sure there are other great dealers who advertise in the dealer section here who do just as nice a job.
I agree with all this, AND I just bought an SE Zach Myers from Sweetwater that was completely dialed in to my taste - because I haggled for them to throw in a free setup. My 'sales engineer' ran thru a quick interview with me about action level, how much buzz I tolerate, how hard I pick, what picks I use, etc. Without that setup, it defn would have needed adjustment; it played perfectly out of the box with it.

Since you are a beginner I really would try it without removing the strings. You don't have locking tuners on there so there should be plenty of string for slack. Put a micro fiber towel or something over your body of the guitar to not scratch it when removing the pickup.

You should get to know your gear and there isn't much easier of a time to start. If you do have to restring it that is really something you should learn too.

You should get to know your gear and there isn't much easier of a time to start. If you do have to restring it that is really something you should learn too.

This. I cant stress how important basic guitar maintenance knowledge is. I wish I knew more when I first began playing. There was alot of care and work that was never done because I didn't know how, and my guitars and technique paid a price as a result.

Since you are a beginner I really would try it without removing the strings. You don't have locking tuners on there so there should be plenty of string for slack. Put a micro fiber towel or something over your body of the guitar to not scratch it when removing the pickup.

I'd be hesitant to do this unless there's a lot of slack on the strings - enough that there's comfortable excess clearance. It sounds like the OP doesn't have much experience doing this kind of stuff, so in my mind it's better to err on the side of caution and take the strings off rather than get into a situation where you think, "Well, if I just push a little bit harder..." and end up having the pickup slide out of control.

I'd be hesitant to do this unless there's a lot of slack on the strings - enough that there's comfortable excess clearance. It sounds like the OP doesn't have much experience doing this kind of stuff, so in my mind it's better to err on the side of caution and take the strings off rather than get into a situation where you think, "Well, if I just push a little bit harder..." and end up having the pickup slide out of control.

I'm the opposite view. Being a newbie to guitars I can see tuning problems from improper wrap from the restring. God knows we see enough of those. But I agree 1000% be careful to not scratch your finish by laying down a towel or something. Removing you just need to worry about the base and be extra careful putting it back in with the screws in the base.

That said I swap pickups constantly and rarely remove the strings until after I decide they are the pups I want in that guitar. Non locking tuners and its not even a question especially since I use pricier strings. I tweak on these things way too much...

He does absolutely need to learn how to restring though. Don't want to confuse 2 simple projects together to make it any more difficult on a new player tackling his first work.

I understand the frustration, but if you own your guitar and learn how to fix it, you'll be better off.

1) Remove the strings.
2) Remove the pickup mounting ring.
3) Retrieve all mounting bolts and springs.
4) Put some wide painters tape around the neck pickup cavity on the top to protect the finish.
5) Place one bolt through one side of the mounting ring, place the spring over the bolt shaft underneath (it will extend past the bolt), them aim the bolt end with a screwdriver, compress the spring and engage the bolt into the pickup leg. This is a b!tch, but you'll learn how to do it. You may have to insert both sides simultaneously depending on how much room you have on the other side.
6) Secure both sides of the pickup to the bolts, springs and ring. Tighten it enough so it doesn't fall out again. Make sure you did this.
7) Poke the pickup lead back into the body cavity and mount the pickup/ring complex onto the guitar. (Make sure the painters tape is removed!)
8) Tighten the mounting ring.
9) Adjust the pickup to your desired height.
10) ROCK OUT.

Done.

Last edited:
Back