Would you return this SE Mccarty 594 or get it fixed?

Return the guitar.
Exchanging it in person would be best.
I bought my SE 24-08 (in the US) from Sweetwater and it arrived perfect. PRS is/was inspecting all the SE sold in US at their facility in Maryland. PRS values their reputation for excellent quality on their import SE line. Surprised at all the issues you had.
Good luck.

Greg, at some point you'll have to learn to do all these things yourself if you're going to own great playing, great sounding guitars.

Because there is no perfection and all guitars are constantly in need of a little work and readjustment.

Maybe this one does need to be returned...but you need to pick up some books of Dan Erlewine's on guitar repair and some tools and learn to do a lot of this stuff yourself.

Stew Mac is a great source for tools.

YouTube is a great source for Dan Erlewine videos and Jerry Rosa Stringworks videos.

Once you learn how to set up your guitar you'll be able to make it play better than most "techs" will because you'll put whatever time into it needed until it's right.

Maybe this isn't the guitar to get started on...but eventually you'll need to do it all yourself.

Besides: it's part of the fun. Like building a Hot Rod!
I agree except for fret work.
I don’t think All guitar players should be expected know how to file or level frets.

Imho

I agree except for fret work.
I don’t think All guitar players should be expected know how to file or level frets.

Imho
I always wanted to know how it was done so I could fix my guitars myself.

Just the way I am.

But yes, there's some people who just aren't handy. I don't know why.

I always wanted to know how it was done so I could fix my guitars myself.

Just the way I am.

But yes, there's some people who just aren't handy. I don't know why.
I’m handy but I’m not filling down frets.

I had a MIM Tele where the neck wood shrunk a bit so I brought it to Our Guy and I don’t know how he got the ends to perfectly smooth without scratching the edge of the fretboard.

I’ll solder and do truss rod adjustments along with some other straight forward maintenance but…I don’t do fretwork.

I’m the same guy who brings his truck in for brake jobs so I guess it all the squares up.

Appreciate all the insight and feedback on this. I ended up returning the guitar today as I just couldn't feel comfortable with it and the issues for it being brand new. On the look out for something else. The SE Mccarty 594 and SE Zach Myers have always caught my eye so I'll likely still try and find one of those and hopefully have better luck on the next one.

Appreciate all the insight and feedback on this. I ended up returning the guitar today as I just couldn't feel comfortable with it and the issues for it being brand new. On the look out for something else. The SE Mccarty 594 and SE Zach Myers have always caught my eye so I'll likely still try and find one of those and hopefully have better luck on the next one.
Maybe buy locally so you can check the guitar out before buying. You might pay a little more. Or you might not. But you'll know what you're getting. I'm sure the locals can use the business.

Back