Work for PRS Guitars

My love for both beautiful guitars and woodworking would make this a dream job! Recently built a kit guitar and it was so much fun.

I had a chance to walk the factory floor with Shawn, and I can guarantee you there are no “semi-professionals” doing the work there. Everyone from the entry level sanders to the executive team are extreme professionals of their craft and have spent the time necessary refining their skills by paying attention to the smallest details. They are experts. I wish I had the cajones to sell my home and go sand some guitars at PRS. That would be fan-frigging-tastic.

Semi Professional? Are you job shaming? Whether someone works on the factory floor or they are part of the janitorial staff, they take pride in their work and they have talents that might have nothing to do with their current position.
Marc, for example, is art director for PRS guitars, he has amazing credentials , he's won a ton of awards, he's style has been copied and reproduced countless times and oh yeah, he started his career with PRS working on the factory floor.

Hell no Im not job shaming!!!!!!!! I would never do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You read into that a little too much or took it the wrong way.
I would not be a good sander unless someone trained me really well as I have zero experience in wood working and Im surprised thats all. Im glad you have a great Art Director. Did you guys put him through school or something? I have no doubt he's good. Just wondering how he went from wood working to art Direction without previous experience in that field. Good for him however he did it. Me, Ive been art and creative director for 2 decades starting after school for to work my way up as Creative Director and Senior Art Director positions beginning as a designer, to senior designer, to mobile design and engineering, UI/ UX design, video production, marketing, photography, Immersive Imaging etc. Id love to work for PRS. But I could never enter a new field to work my way back into my original one. Surely you can understand this. Id like to hear how Marc did it. Did you put him through school or did he start over? Sounds like an interesting story. Id like to hear it. But no I think anyone that works and takes pride in what they do should be commended no matter what they do as long as they take pride and care at there work. Sanding, wood working or Janitorial etc. Your taking my post the wrong way sir.

That being said...Id love to hear Marcs story.

Last edited:
I had a chance to walk the factory floor with Shawn, and I can guarantee you there are no “semi-professionals” doing the work there. Everyone from the entry level sanders to the executive team are extreme professionals of their craft and have spent the time necessary refining their skills by paying attention to the smallest details. They are experts. I wish I had the cajones to sell my home and go sand some guitars at PRS. That would be fan-frigging-tastic.

I have no doubt. PRS guitars are my fav. They are so built to perfection and have improved over the years. Id sand if I could afford to take a pay cut but I can't or Id never be able to own another PRS. I love PRS guitars. Id love to work for PRS. to strictly work in production of something of a product I truly love would be fantastic and music is my first passion. Its just not going to happen for me. :(

Last edited:
No offense, it's just that I am proud of this band of misfits and what we've accomplished. As I mentioned, everyone here has skills and interests outside of guitar making. Marc is self taught. He has an eye for design, layout, photography and technology. He's a pretty good guitar player too. Geoff, our IT guy, was one of Paul's original 6 employees hired to make guitars. Jim, our Sales Director, started off as a base coat finish sander. I started in the wood shop sanding bodies.

No offense, it's just that I am proud of this band of misfits and what we've accomplished. As I mentioned, everyone here has skills and interests outside of guitar making. Marc is self taught. He has an eye for design, layout, photography and technology. He's a pretty good guitar player too. Geoff, our IT guy, was one of Paul's original 6 employees hired to make guitars. Jim, our Sales Director, started off as a base coat finish sander. I started in the wood shop sanding bodies.

This is a great example of why PRSG is a great company and successful. Recognizing a person's abilities outside of the job they're currently doing is huge for morale and for getting the best out of people. It's not always easy to transition into something different than what you've been doing and into an area you have a knack or a passion for. The fact that the company recognizes and acts on it is impressive.

Contrast that to a situation where I learned a new programming language and some new skills to help facilitate a project in an old job. We had a department that had to handle notification letters. Their daily process was to send someone to our building, wait for the letters to be printed, take them back to their building, sort them and distribute them. So the people doing the actual work were getting started with deliveries around 11 AM. I worked with them, came up with a way to send the data they needed to them at their office - already sorted, set up a mail merge through Word to print the letters, and out the door. They had people departing by 7:30. That department was thrilled with the process. They had other stuff they wanted to do in a similar way. I was told, "You've had your fun, but now you have to get back to what we do." Did I mention it was an old job?

None taken!!! Thats great! Nothing better than to take pride in the care of what you do!!!! I find all that very interesting. Yeah I was a music major first but my parents both with their doctorates said well you are an artists (meaning painter) too so why don't you go for commercial design and advertising? That way you'll have money and be able to move out. LMAO! Sad but maybe true.. So I changed major..I often wonder what my world would be like if I just finished music school instead of design and marketing but then again I play all the time and semi pro week end warrior is fine by me. Gonna play PRs till I drop. So thats great Marc is a talented Art Director and player! Guitar and music as a whole is total therapy for me. I don't know what Id do without it. And yeah Id love to work for PRS and find its a great way to learn everything from the ground up the more I think about it. you then officially no everything about the company as you've gone through it all. Im just a little too old to start in something else or too young to know better I don't know.......If I was still 18 or 22 and just finished college....and saw this...Id be over there begging to be a sander or a janitor lol.

If this means a thing, I brag on the gear page about how great PRS guitars are to all the guys and come to defense against certain (usually specific Gibson heads but just a few) PRS bashers.....I always win the argument because they just play one brand and make assumptions about anything else. Not everyone just a certain group of ignorant people. I think PRS is the ultimate bridge within the Holy trinity of guitar manufacturers. PRS is not as big because well Paul is still not even that old yet less alone left behind a legacy for a hundred years. Gibson been around since what the 1800s making mandolins and is a huge conglomerate. I see PRS continue to keep their ways of hand making premium guitars with care a hundred years from now. So total respect and meant no offense. You should take pride in your work, but always remain humble! It may be a business but the day its just a business is the day your just not as special. So total respect to PRS and how special they are in the care and to Marc and the entire team of PRS employees! CHEERS! :)

Hell no Im not job shaming!!!!!!!! I would never do that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You read into that a little too much or took it the wrong way.
I would not be a good sander unless someone trained me really well as I have zero experience in wood working and Im surprised thats all. Im glad you have a great Art Director. Did you guys put him through school or something? I have no doubt he's good. Just wondering how he went from wood working to art Direction without previous experience in that field. Good for him however he did it. Me, Ive been art and creative director for 2 decades starting after school for to work my way up as Creative Director and Senior Art Director positions beginning as a designer, to senior designer, to mobile design and engineering, UI/ UX design, video production, marketing, photography, Immersive Imaging etc. Id love to work for PRS. But I could never enter a new field to work my way back into my original one. Surely you can understand this. Id like to hear how Marc did it. Did you put him through school or did he start over? Sounds like an interesting story. Id like to hear it. But no I think anyone that works and takes pride in what they do should be commended no matter what they do as long as they take pride and care at there work. Sanding, wood working or Janitorial etc. Your taking my post the wrong way sir.

That being said...Id love to hear Marcs story.

Back around the early 2000's I practically begged PRS to hire me. I was offering my skillset as a IT/Web Site builder. Their reply was basically "Well that's nice but you'll still start out as a sander". I was totally okay with that too, but the person I spoke to, who had better smarts than I, did the math and realized that since I lived 80 miles away, I would destroy myself financially trying to get to work and back every day. So, she said "No". Of course, this worked out for the best since I now do IT work elsewhere and get paid enough to buy PRS guitars. It is clear to me now that my role is to buy PRS guitars while other individuals make the guitars. Everyone in their proper place and now all is right with the universe. ;)

Semi Professional? Are you job shaming? Whether someone works on the factory floor or they are part of the janitorial staff, they take pride in their work and they have talents that might have nothing to do with their current position.
Marc, for example, is art director for PRS guitars, he has amazing credentials , he's won a ton of awards, he's style has been copied and reproduced countless times and oh yeah, he started his career with PRS working on the factory floor.
Yes excellent credentials but the home page not the standards of the guitars

Back