Why would anyone play anything else?

10795_R-G.jpg

We all have them already to go with our straps and chaps, don't we?

Can only speak for myself, but I still feel there is something that my G's give me that the PRS' don't, tonally. Cannot put my finger on it and no point really trying to rationalize, but these days my SG gets as much play time as my Mira (despite the fact that the Mira subjectively plays and sounds "better"), and quite frankly the only new guitar I am seriously considering at the moment is a Firebird.

Can only speak for myself, but I still feel there is something that my G's give me that the PRS' don't, tonally. Cannot put my finger on it and no point really trying to rationalize, but these days my SG gets as much play time as my Mira (despite the fact that the Mira subjectively plays and sounds "better"), and quite frankly the only new guitar I am seriously considering at the moment is a Firebird.

Gibibies and PRS are different guitars, so of course it makes sense that they'll sound different. It's also going to be the case that one might make you happier than the other.

We're all looking for different qualities of tone, playability, whatever. You have to go with what speaks to you.

I grew up on Gibsons, but my PRSes have been my voice for quite a few years. Because that's the way I like it! We are all (thankfully!) different, which is a good thing!

I grew up on Gibsons, but my PRSes have been my voice for quite a few years. Because that's the way I like it! We are all (thankfully!) different, which is a good thing!

Agreed. If you're getting what you want from a different guitar brand you owe it to yourself to investigate it fully.

It took me twenty years or so of owning a PRS before I decided to adopt my silly mantra of "other guitars are just stupid". Before then I owned guitars by all of the usual suspects and even directed a record label to start working with another manufacturer with three initials for their artist endorsements in the 90's.. My point is you gotta go where your heart, hands, and ears guides you at whatever point in your life you're at.

It took me 25 years to get over Les Pauls in particular, and I've only gone about three years without one in my possession.

I have a dozen or so of Les Pauls. A couple of vintage versions and the rest a variety of historic reissues. I love them. I really do. From the point of a gigging musician, I can't see how you'd go with anything other than a PRS for the variety though.

Take something like a DGT. So many options live....

I have a dozen or so of Les Pauls. A couple of vintage versions and the rest a variety of historic reissues. I love them. I really do. From the point of a gigging musician, I can't see how you'd go with anything other than a PRS for the variety though.

Take something like a DGT. So many options live....

Gosh, I used to love Les Pauls. Honestly. They were the absolute top of the solid-body heap for guitars designed and built in the ancient times of the 50s (when I was a little guy!). I can still hear (in my head) and feel (also in my head) the 1971 custom order Black Beauty with ebony fretboard that one of the guys in my band special ordered for his college graduation-get a first job-gift to himself. Nothing like a good acid flashback to...um...forget I said that.

But. Would I buy a Lester today?

No.

People have to follow their hearts, ears, hands and brains, and while we've heard ten zillion Lesters on records and I get the desire to emulate what we've all heard those ten zillion times, PRSes play substantially better and feel better. And PRS IMHO improved on the classic tones and have given us wonderful additional options and tone colors.

A few years ago, in a fit of nostalgia, I traded one of my Two-Rock amps for a Custom Shop 335. I always loved the 335 tone. And you know what, it was still there, the guitar sounded, well, like a great 335. But playing it felt like driving a 1953 Buick (my driver's ed teacher HAD a 1953 Buick that I learned to drive on, so I know what a 1953 Buick feels like to drive - compared to even a mid-60s car, it felt like driving a bus, and believe me, mid-60s cars feel like driving buses compared to today's cars).

So I decided to stick with what I love to play, namely, PRS guitars.

I have owned a few Gibsons. I am and always will be partial to the single cut shape and scale. I was drawn to the Les Paul because of the music I grew up on and my guitar heroes used them. Though I can't afford high end guitars, I'd take a PRS over a Gibby any day.

IMO Gibson has screwed up royally over the years. The quality has dropped ten fold though the prices haven't. Their idea of innovation missed the mark completely. Robot tuners, WTF? If Gibson would have taken Mr. Smith's approach to guitar building... Man.

I'd love a '57 Chevy but not as a daily driver.

Another thing.

When I see a Lester at GC or wherever, I think,"That's a beautiful guitar" and keep moving. When I see a PRS, I'm usually lost for words. They just pop out.

I have a few PRSi, and I completely dig 'em. However, I think your assertion is way off base. The Gibson Les Paul Reissues beginning in 2013 are consistently the best I have played.

I believe based on Gibson's reputation quality should never be an issue. That's all I'm saying. RIs shouldn't be the only guitars with excellent fret work and consistent tone. 2013 to now is only three years. Gibson has been around a hell of a long time.

Gibson has been making nice guitars for longer than we've all (even Les) been alive. Even though I no longer own them I feel like the whole quality issue is magnified by sh!t-talk on the internet. I've personally owned Les Pauls from the 70's, 80's, and 90's that were excellent guitars.

Gibson has been making nice guitars for longer than we've all (even Les) been alive. Even though I no longer own them I feel like the whole quality issue is magnified by sh!t-talk on the internet. I've personally owned Les Pauls from the 70's, 80's, and 90's that were excellent guitars.

I believe a lot of what is on the net is unfair and hate tinged and I'm not hating. I'm coming up on a 35 year love affair with the guitar and Gibson is not what it was or should be.

I believe based on Gibson's reputation quality should never be an issue. That's all I'm saying. RIs shouldn't be the only guitars with excellent fret work and consistent tone. 2013 to now is only three years. Gibson has been around a hell of a long time.

I agree that the "production" models don't consistently hold a candle to PRS; not even close. However, Gibson does make some really nice guitars in their custom shop. Most of the RIs I've played have been really nice guitars, and beginning in 2013 they are better than ever. So, I simply don't believe a statement that "...the quality has dropped ten fold though the prices haven't" is a fair statement without some further explanation.

I recently posted three private stocks that I purchased new in 2015. It's not like I don't support PRS.

Gibson has been making nice guitars for longer than we've all (even Les) been alive.

Aw heck, Orville Gibson and I were drinking buddies. I met him in Kalamazoo a few years after I got back to Michigan from the Civil War, so it musta been the early 1870s. Anyway, long before he got into the biz.

Every so often he'd take the train into Detroit, and we'd hit the bars.

Nice dude, played guitar and mandolin in local bands and orchestras. Sharp dresser, could have given Billy Gibbons some lessons (hmmm...maybe he did, Billy's pretty old, too).

I haven't played anything else but prs's for the last 4+ years. but a little while back, i played a used duesenberg 49er that played and felt absoloutely fantastic. my only complaint about it was it weighed a ton. if i would of had a spare $1400 lying around, i seriously think i would of brought it home. it's the ONLY guitar i can honestly say that i've tried in the last 4 years that really played as well as my prs's.

LPs never really did it for me. When I was getting into rock guitar, there were just armies of guys who played them and they were often very good.... then there were Blackmore, Hendrix, Trower, Jeff Beck, Dave Gilmour who all primarily did their magic on Stratocasters. And their sound, to my ears, was always more complete than what I heard from the LP crowd. And their playing was also generally far more interesting and exciting. So that's where I went, even though most guitarists I knew were seeking out LPs.

Back