Why would anyone play anything else?

Whoa whoa whoa - "obscure"? Maybe in the US, but not in the UK. Doctor Who is well-known outside the US, and its following has grown here enormously. In large part because it's much more accessible now thanks to BBC America. In earlier years, it was more hit and miss on PBS. I never got into it in the earlier years - I think I tried an episode or two. Didn't stick then.

Didn't know what model the guitar in that ep was. I tried to find the amp from one of the eps with no luck.

And in the diner he was playing what appeared to be an Epi SG with a Bigsby. So now you have to go buy one.

FullSizeRender%20(1).jpg

Variety is the spice of life

And in the diner he was playing what appeared to be an Epi SG with a Bigsby. So now you have to go buy one.

Nah - I'm thinking about saving up for a Gui'Tardis, as seen in the January 2016 issue of Guitar World.

My Fender Eric Clapton partocaster(neck and body)with Texas specials sounds totally different than my beloved DGT.I like the variations they both give me.I love the necks on both guitars and I love the very different sounds they deliver.

I love and play my PRSs a lot, but I have others for various reasons. One of them is a Tele. PRS can't compete with that - apples and oranges. I also play a couple of LTDs just because they sound and play really nice, and they're decent guitars for the money. My koa Carvin is a unique guitar with a cool tone. PRS guitars fit the bill for most of what I need, but not all.

Whoa whoa whoa - "obscure"? Maybe in the US, but not in the UK. Doctor Who is well-known outside the US, and its following has grown here enormously. In large part because it's much more accessible now thanks to BBC America. In earlier years, it was more hit and miss on PBS. I never got into it in the earlier years - I think I tried an episode or two. Didn't stick then.

Didn't know what model the guitar in that ep was. I tried to find the amp from one of the eps with no luck.
Well it's not obscure to my circle of friends, but it seems to be obscure to anyone else (read: muggle/non-nerd) I try to talk to, so I've stopped bothering.

Regarding the amp, do you mean the Magpie in the same episode?

https://www.reddit.com/r/gallifrey/...anybody_know_what_guitar_the_doctor_plays_in/

Once did that.
But found that going with what you sound and play best on is a much tastier spice.
Which is why PRS never showed up on my radar until recently, and then by sheer chance. Much as I may be digging the 408, the Stratocaster is, and always will be, 'that' guitar for me. Were I - and most players - to have followed your philosophy, PRS would never have gotten a toehold in the industry.

Which is why PRS never showed up on my radar until recently, and then by sheer chance. Much as I may be digging the 408, the Stratocaster is, and always will be, 'that' guitar for me. Were I - and most players - to have followed your philosophy, PRS would never have gotten a toehold in the industry.

Hang on a sec; I didn't say not to try anything else!

And as a studio rat, I certainly had a stable of The Usual Suspects at one time, because that was the thing to do. I moved gradually to my realization that I should just concentrate on PRS.

My philosophy is to try lots of things - I certainly did - and then go with what your music sounds the best on. If that changes, or evolves, so be it.

On the other hand, most of the guys I hire do prefer one or two guitars for their session work. For me, of course, even one guitar is overkill. I'd probably sound better using guitar samples and playing them on a keyboard!

Last edited:
just pee'd a little. Too funny. I too am a migrant to PRS and will never look back but I will say that the Clapton Strat with lace sensors in 7up green is still on the bucket list. Of course it is behind a SAS and pre-95 CE 22 in .....Green.

just pee'd a little. Too funny. I too am a migrant to PRS and will never look back but I will say that the Clapton Strat with lace sensors in 7up green is still on the bucket list. Of course it is behind a SAS and pre-95 CE 22 in .....Green.

I had that exact Clapton strat back in the late 80s and traded it in the mid 90s. Sure do miss that one. Should have never let it go.

Back