Why would anyone play anything else?

Steve, you always have incredible guitars, but that is one of the most beautiful Lesters I've ever seen. Holy cow!

Thanks, Brad. It was part of that very limited "killer quilt" run from 2011. You know that I love PRS guitars, but beginning in 2013, the R9s have been very impressive. I take a SC245 piezo trem and an R9 to every gig.

I'll play the odd man out. I really got into PRS over the summer. I wanted something for my heavier music, and bought a SE Clint Lowery. I really liked it more than I expected (and still do) and started ignoring some of my other guitars. Then I sold off a couple of good Epi LP's and got a S2 Standard 22. I liked that one too, and soon after traded a beloved Tele for an artist grade top Custom 24 with a couple of PTC mods to it. So far, I seemed hooked. But I began really listening to the difference in what I had left that wasn't PRS, a Fender Classic Player Strat, an Epi LP 1960v3 and realized the one PRS model I played the most was the SE, which seemed weird.

I'm also moving away from playing the heavier stuff, into more blues/classic rock stuff. So earlier this month I bought a new Gibson Tribute 50s Les Paul. And I have never enjoyed a new guitar more than this one. I've been playing my Custom 24 back to back with the Gibson, and I guess I just prefer the LP sound. A little thicker, deeper, heavier sound. The CU24 is a beautiful instrument, no doubt about that. But the Gibson just has something that PRS doesn't have, a certain vibe if you will. Both play well, and I can adjust to just about anything. And my Fender strat also has something very special about it, that unique clear tone that humbuckers don't have really. It is the 2 point tremolo and by the way, it stays in tune better than the S2 or the CU24, so there's that too.

I'm on the hunt now to trade/sell both the S2 and the CU24, and will get a Gibson Traditional LP, and probably a Fender Baja Tele. I miss my Tele for sure!

But I will get another PRS at some point probably a S2 Vela. Something unique, and yet it reminds me of a marriage between a Fender and a Gibson. I guess I still like the classics. Of course if I had unlimited resources I'd own a ton of PRS models, and the other ones. I don't, so I know what I like best is a good LP, and then throw in a strat and tele for good measure too.

view.sfly

Quality, playability and tone are the 3 things I look for in a guitar. PRS more than delivers the goods on all 3 counts (and which is why I have quite a few PRS guitars)

With that said, I still own a few Fender guitars because of the unique tones that these guitars are capable of producing - IMHO.

I happen to really like Strats so I play them. Same with Telecasters & Les Pauls. I suppose I could live with only playing a PRS but I don't need to. Couldn't get any more simple than that. I will admit that a 30th Anniversary CU24 intrigues me as a do it all guitar. Just haven't found the right one yet.

I thought we just shook champagne at the new guys.

It's different for everybody and tailored for your personality: Justrob had to shave his chest, Shawn had to wear silver pants, Hans got straightjacketed, Boogie had to wear a gorilla costume, I had to try and steal Paul's car and then get trapped in Markie's hotel room after he dropped a deuce when I failed, we made rugerpc set up his rig and play guitar in the snow wearing only his underwear... Effectively ruining a few bottles of Louis Rogederer by soaking your sweater was the worst thing we could think of for a first-class guy like you. :cool:

I've only been around here for a year

You'll get yours soon, buddy.

I happen to really like Strats so I play them. Same with Telecasters & Les Pauls. I suppose I could live with only playing a PRS but I don't need to. Couldn't get any more simple than that. I will admit that a 30th Anniversary CU24 intrigues me as a do it all guitar. Just haven't found the right one yet.

Yep I still love my Strats and my Tele. Different beasts from PRS and they all suit my mood at various times.

I thought we just shook champagne at the new guys.
Hey hey hey, not that there's anything wrong with "shaking champagne" at whomever consenting adult in the privacy of your own home...

...oh, that's not what you meant? Sorry, never mind, don't mind me.

Oh, and the reason I play a Yamaha, is because of Doctor Who:
Was_that_really_Peter_Capaldi_playing_the_guitar_in_Doctor_Who_.jpg

Yes, I bought a Yamaha SGV300 just because Peter Capaldi played a Yamaha SGV800 in one episode of some obscure British television show. I liked the description, "We ended up with a guitar that looked like a Fender Stratocaster that had been described to someone who had never seen one.”

Oh, and I also play guitars with carapaces (Parker Fly Deluxe). Go ahead, tell me I'm wrong, I just like the idea that my fingertips are dancing over a combination of glass, epoxy, and carbon fiber. Ken Parker was just way ahead of his time.

Hats off to Sergio and Les for their penetrating and deep rooted analysis of guitars that are not PRS. I agree. I`m old.......and possibly getting senile.

Senility is the best thing that ever happened to me.

"Why'd you buy another guitar?"

"What guitar?"

"This one, the one I have in my hand right here?"

"Who are you, again?"

Senility is the best thing that ever happened to me.

"Why'd you buy another guitar?"

"What guitar?"

"This one, the one I have in my hand right here?"

"Who are you, again?"
I may use this for the new guitar you just made me buy by calling me old in another thread. Thanks again!

Oh, and the reason I play a Yamaha, is because of Doctor Who:
Was_that_really_Peter_Capaldi_playing_the_guitar_in_Doctor_Who_.jpg

Yes, I bought a Yamaha SGV300 just because Peter Capaldi played a Yamaha SGV800 in one episode of some obscure British television show. I liked the description, "We ended up with a guitar that looked like a Fender Stratocaster that had been described to someone who had never seen one.”

Whoa whoa whoa - "obscure"? Maybe in the US, but not in the UK. Doctor Who is well-known outside the US, and its following has grown here enormously. In large part because it's much more accessible now thanks to BBC America. In earlier years, it was more hit and miss on PBS. I never got into it in the earlier years - I think I tried an episode or two. Didn't stick then.

Didn't know what model the guitar in that ep was. I tried to find the amp from one of the eps with no luck.

Back