Why would anyone play anything else?

Why would anyone play anything else? ... um.. because you are kinda short changing yourself if you don't. I never understood this brand loyalty thing. PRS has its thing, but tonally its only accounts for a small fraction of the total possible sounds and tones you can get from a guitar. I love PRS, but I have 2 music man guitars as well and have been eyeing an LP, an SG, and a V. They all do their thing and they do not cross into each others territory. Variety is the spice of life.

Why would anyone play anything else? ... um.. because you are kinda short changing yourself if you don't. I never understood this brand loyalty thing. PRS has its thing, but tonally its only accounts for a small fraction of the total possible sounds and tones you can get from a guitar. I love PRS, but I have 2 music man guitars as well and have been eyeing an LP, an SG, and a V. They all do their thing and they do not cross into each others territory. Variety is the spice of life.

I agree to a point; a player can certainly benefit by trying out lots of brands of guitar. However, I do understand the brand loyalty thing - it's all about finding a sweet spot -- after you've tried a bunch of guitars, and you find guitars that you consistently like, that play consistently well, and sound consistently good, well...it makes sense for some of us. It's fun to explore the different models within one brand that one likes. It can be nice to have a consistent feel between guitars.

On a deeply personal level, I find that I share Paul Smith's taste in tone. It's what I like. When I play other guitars, I can appreciate them, but I don't really want to own them. I don't want to record with them, either.

But brand loyalty's not for all of us, to be sure. Some players crave variety. I get that.

There's room for everyone to have different ideas about this!

And there are players that not only play one brand, but play only one model of that brand. Look at Grissom, Santana, BB King, Albert King, Clapton, Warren Haynes, Hendrix (though he did have a few Gibbies, he was predominantly a Strat player) and many others. The point is, there's room for all players in this guitar tent. ;)

...However, I do understand the brand loyalty thing - it's all about finding a sweet spot -- after you've tried a bunch of guitars, and you find guitars that you consistently like, that play consistently well, and sound consistently good...
A big part of why I have as many PRS as I do is that it was the first brand that I could count on every guitar being good, which let my wife buy them for me and not having to worry about whether or not I would like it. Once you find someone who does the job as well as they do, you don't really have to look anywhere else.

A big part of why I have as many PRS as I do is that it was the first brand that I could count on every guitar being good, which let my wife buy them for me and not having to worry about whether or not I would like it. Once you find someone who does the job as well as they do, you don't really have to look anywhere else.

Yup, this. It's nice to be able to pick up any PRS and it feels like home, even with different neck carves, scale lengths, etc., as well.

It's something that evolves over time I think. For me, up until 5 years ago, PRS were the guitars that had the funny looking head stocks. I didn't have a bad impression of them, but why would anybody need anything more than a strat, a tele and a Les Paul? I had no incentive to even try one. Then while buying strings at a GC, I noticed a dusty PRS on super sale. It was a 25th anniversary McCarty Narrowfield. Played on a whim just because I had some spare time, and the price was crazy low (I googled the model on my phone and this was about half of regular street...) So, I picked it up. Gigged it a few times and it became a regular in the gig rotation. With that positive experience, I tried a signature limited and loved it... Fast forward 5 years and my Les Pauls, strats and teles rarely get played, and I don't often play anything but PRS live. Noodling around by myself, I play a bit of everything though.

It's something that evolves over time I think.

PRS were the guitars that had the funny looking head stocks.

I agree 100%. I get on kicks. I go on Les Paul benders. Then Strats, then Teles... Back to LPs...

It took me a while to warm up to the PRS head stocks. Now IMO they are sexy and represent the ultimate combo of all my favorite guitars!

One day I'll take home an American PRS.

I like that they have a number of different models built on the same basic chassis. That I can get humbuckers, singles, P90s, NF, trem/hard-tail, hollow/semi-hollow, whatever... and not have the inconsistency of jumping from an LP to a Strat to a 335, etc.

I agree 100%. I get on kicks. I go on Les Paul benders. Then Strats, then Teles... Back to LPs...

It took me a while to warm up to the PRS head stocks. Now IMO they are sexy and represent the ultimate combo of all my favorite guitars!

One day I'll take home an American PRS.
I liked the small, unique PRS headstock right away. I like small headstocks. Why have this enormous paddle hanging off the end of your fretboard? In some cases, such as the Ibanez Artist series, the large headstock even contributes to imbalance. I'm even tempted to cut a half inch off my Artist headstock; might reduce the neck dive a bit lol

Must admit I think Les Pauls look the business and can sound fantastic. Too many quality issues from what I hear and I don't like their double cutaways (I'm not a single cutaway type of guy).

Do I mainly play my PRSi yes, Do i own Jackson's and ESP's and EBMM yes because I love guitars, and they all offer something different. That said when i go to purchase a guitar it will most likely be a PRS because i love the instrument's and the care and quality that is put into them by the employees and Paul comes out in the guitars themselves.

I just think "I bet that's really heavy and my shoulder wouldn't like it."

I find comfort in heavier guitars as odd as that may sound. As long as there's balance of course. I think I feel the notes better or what I'm playing better. The guitar feels like a part of me when it has a little weight. It doesn't feel like a toy? I really can't explain it.

I find comfort in heavier guitars as odd as that may sound. As long as there's balance of course. I think I feel the notes better or what I'm playing better. The guitar feels like a part of me when it has a little weight. It doesn't feel like a toy? I really can't explain it.

I do have a heavier guitar. It says 'Fender Jazz Bass' on it, tho.

I play my PRSes primarily, but not exclusively. All my PRSes, have the pattern necks. I have a late 1968 Strat that I play, for studio work, and a 60,s "mutt" Tele, that I also use to record with. However, I only gig with my PRSes. They cover every style of music that I play. I don't get along with Gibson's, no matter how much I try. I have a few others that I own, but they will be leaving the stable soon...to make room for more PRSes!

It's different for everybody and tailored for your personality: Justrob had to shave his chest, Shawn had to wear silver pants, Hans got straightjacketed, Boogie had to wear a gorilla costume, I had to try and steal Paul's car and then get trapped in Markie's hotel room after he dropped a deuce when I failed, we made rugerpc set up his rig and play guitar in the snow wearing only his sexy underwear... Effectively ruining a few bottles of Louis Rogederer by soaking your sweater was the worst thing we could think of for a first-class guy like you. :cool:

You'll get yours soon, buddy.
Nice,you said it right, I agree.

I also play banjo (yeah, I know, o_O), so any guitar is light by comparison.
Has to be balanced though.

Back